Cache Types - Definitions

The Navigatorz

If you go to this page: http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.asp you get a list of the various icons for cache types and their definitions.

My question is: When Reporting a New cache, you get a drop down list for the various caches, and one of them is Mystery/Puzzle cache. Where is the icon and its definition for Mystery/Puzzle caches?

There is an icon which is a large green question mark (?) called Unknown caches, and GC gives the following definition: "For whatever reason, this cache either does not have a designation or is a surprise to the hunter". This doesn't seem to be the appropriate definition for a Mystery/Puzzle cache.

I recently created a cache which requires some math to calculate the coordinates. It called "The Intersection" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=93129. You are given the endpoints of two lines and have to calculate the intersection. I listed it as a traditional, but the approver changed it to a (?) unknown cache. The actual cache is a micro - a magnetic keyholder. So if you look again at the description of a (?) Unknown cache it doesn't seem to fit. The cache does have a designation (a micro cache has always been listed as a Traditional cache) and it isn't a surprise to the hunter (Would you be surprised if you found a magnetic keyholder?, especially when I say on the cache page that's what the container is?)

I guess the bottom line is, if GC is creating a category called Mystery/Puzzle cache, they should create an icon for it; or, if (?) is to include Mystery/Puzzle caches, they ought to list (?) caches as Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown and define them as such.

The Navigatorz

I don't know where I'm going but I have all day to get there.

quote:
Originally posted by The Navigatorz:

My question is: When Reporting a New cache, you get a drop down list for the various caches, and one of them is Mystery/Puzzle cache. Where is the icon and its definition for Mystery/Puzzle caches?

"Mystery/Puzzle" and "Unknown" are actually the same thing. Sometimes inconsistencies creep in when dealing with a website as complex as this one.

quote:
The cache does have a designation (a micro cache has always been listed as a Traditional cache) and it isn't a surprise to the hunter (Would you be surprised if you found a magnetic keyholder?, especially when I say on the cache page that's what the container is?)

This isn't correct. A micro does not have to be listed as Traditional. You're confusing a type of cache with the type of container. A micro can be a multi-cache, a mystery cache, or a traditional cache. And "surprise" doesn't necessarily mean that the container is a surprise. Again, you're confusing the cache type with the cache container.

The unknown/surprise/mystery category is used for puzzle caches, for caches that don't quite fit the other categories, or when the cache owner thinks it best to be a surprise to the hunter.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

This isn't correct. A micro does not have to be listed as Traditional. You're confusing a type of cache with the type of container. A micro can be a multi-cache, a mystery cache, or a traditional cache. And "surprise" doesn't necessarily mean that the _container_ is a surprise. Again, you're confusing the cache type with the cache container.

I don't think I'm too confused. Look at the definition of a traditional cache: "This is the most common cache, usually a tupperware container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies and a log book". Here they also are talking about not only the type of cache, but also the "type of container". But, as you pointed out with micros, An ammo box can also be a multi-cache, a mystery cache, or a traditional cache, just like the micro can be.

But this isn't the point of this thread. I was making a statement that Mystery/Puzzle caches are not defined, like Traditional, Multis, Virtuals, and Unknowns are. Presently there is no icon here

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.asp for Mystery/Puzzle caches. If Mystery/Puzzle caches are "types" of caches, they should be defined on this page, either with their own icon and definition, or grouped with the Unknown caches (?) and defined as such.

I've always wondered how the classification of "micro" came about and why most "micro" caches are actually "mini" caches by strict definition. If you're looking for anything "micro" you'd expect it to require the support of laboratory equipment.

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks

quote:

If Mystery/Puzzle caches are "types" of caches, they should be defined on this page, either with their own icon and definition, or grouped with the Unknown caches (?) and defined as such.

Which part of "Mystery/Puzzle" and "Unknown" are actually the same thing didn't you get?

3608_2800.gif

As different pages of the website are converted over to the new platform, you will see instances like this one where the terminology or something else is temporarily inconsistent within the website. What you are seeing on the new hide-a-cache page is an improvement: it's now clear which category to use for a puzzle cache. That wasn't true previously, and it caused a lot of discussion. The new title better reflects the types of caches which ought to use this category.

I'm sure that when the cache types page is updated, you'll see consistent definitions.

Navigatorz, your new cache is properly categorized as mystery/puzzle/unknown/surprise (they are all the same thing). Remember that lots of geocachers just grab coordinates and head out the door. They rely on a visual cue like a cache icon or a changed Waypoint ID in Spinner to tell them to read the cache page for more information, like the clues for a puzzle. Otherwise for a traditional cache people will just show up at the posted coordinates expecting to find a cache container.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

Thanks Keystone for the answer I was looking for. Very professional and informative.

Prime Suspect on the other hand only knows how to be abrasive. Here is his quote:

quote:
Which part of "Mystery/Puzzle" and "Unknown" are actually the same thing didn't you get?

I still don't think he understood my original question. Perhaps I should have typed more slowly for him so he could understand it better. Let me say it again Prime Suspect, and Hear me now, or Listen to me later. I UNDERSTAND. But it's not whether I understand or not, the point is Mystery/Puzzle caches are just not defined on the cache types page. There is nothing there that states Mystery/Puzzle caches are the same thing as Unknown caches. They are a type of cache. They're not defined, at least not yet. Get it? Read Keystone Approver's comment for a more intellegent response than the one you gave.

[This message was edited by The Navigatorz on September 28, 2003 at 11:58 PM.]

quote:

Thanks Keystone for the answer I was looking for. Very professional and informative.

Prime Suspect on the other hand only knows how to be abrasive. Here is his quote:

quote:

I still don't think he understood my original question. Perhaps I should have typed more slowly for him so he could understand it better. Let me say it again Prime Suspect, and Hear me now, or Listen to me later. I UNDERSTAND. But it's not whether I understand or not, the point is Mystery/Puzzle caches are just not defined on the cache types page. There is nothing there that states Mystery/Puzzle caches are the same thing as Unknown caches. They are a type of cache. They're not defined, at least not yet. Get it? Read Keystone Approver's comment for a more intellegent response than the one you gave.

Yes, we're well aware that the "Mystery/Puzzle" cache is labled as "Unknown" on the Cache Type page, and that can lead to some confusion. But what you still seem to fail to grasp is that these aren't two different things (otherwise, why would you keep saying that it's not defined? It is defined - under Unknown). Yes, the label on the Cache Type page needs to be fixed. But the vast majority of people are able to figure it out without too much effort. To get to the Cache Type page, you generally click on the cache-type icon. The icon for Mystery/Puzzle is the green question mark. The green question mark is also the icon on the Cache Type page for the Unknown type. Most people are able to make the connection between "Mystery" and "Unknown", and realize they're the same thing. It's not a big leap.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect regarding the definition of Mystery/Puzzle caches:

It is defined - under Unknown).

Once again....here is the definition of Unknown:

Unknown Cache from the cache types page:

"For whatever reason, this cache either does not have a designation or is a surprise to the hunter".

Do you see anything about Mystery/Puzzle caches here...I don't. If they're the same as Unknown caches, then change the label to include them. If Mystery/Puzzle caches are a designation, then give them their own label, and leave the Unknown label for caches that don't have a designation.

It's one category. That it is in some places called "Mystery/Puzzle", and elsewhere called "Unknown" is a simple inconsistency. It happens. Things aren't perfect. But in the world of geocaching, they mean the same thing (regardless of whether or not you think they should). If you can't get your mind around this, I'm afraid we can't help you, since this has been explained to you around a half dozen times now.

Respond if you wish (I doubt that you can resist), but I will no longer be following this thread.

3608_2800.gif