TomTom Carminat unit

Has anybody else got "hands-on" experience of this unit?

Having just purchased a Renault car, complete with this built-in GPS unit, I'm curious as to what the unit is capable of beside the normal car SatNav functions.

For example, has anyone tried converting GPX files to OV2 (the TT format), and then somehow adding them to the installed map folder?

This would show caches as POI points on the normal road navigation screen when travelling.

I've got a feeling that this procedure on the Carminat may not be the same as for a "stand-alone" TT unit, since both the application and the map(s) seem to be loaded onto the removable SD card supplied with the unit.

Can anybody advise me, please?

I have also posted this message on the GPS Technology part of the GC forum, but I'm not expecting much help from there since it is so heavily biased towards the USA.

The GSAK TomTom macro does the conversion to a POI file for a TomTom so that is the easy bit. Question is how do you transfer it into the unit?

I'm looking forward to gallery photos of you with the 'new' sat nav navigating across fields to find a cache :laughing:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

IF it's a removable SD card...

IF it's a 'writable to' SD card.. (I take it the map is update-able?)

I don't see why you can't add the files... :unsure:

However... TT did start to make their latest units to NOT see user added POI's, but seem to be returning the feature with the latest updates.

(One of the 'improvements' :laughing: ) was to stop TT's from giving proximity alerts to user added POI's, thus, you could only use TT supplied speed camera warnings. The downside for a cacher was, you could load your caches, navigate to the cache, but not get a warning if you were passing a cache (or parking spot for a cache).

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Has anybody else got "hands-on" experience of this unit?

Having just purchased a Renault car, complete with this built-in GPS unit, I'm curious as to what the unit is capable of beside the normal car SatNav functions.

For example, has anyone tried converting GPX files to OV2 (the TT format), and then somehow adding them to the installed map folder?

This would show caches as POI points on the normal road navigation screen when travelling.

I've got a feeling that this procedure on the Carminat may not be the same as for a "stand-alone" TT unit, since both the application and the map(s) seem to be loaded onto the removable SD card supplied with the unit.

Can anybody advise me, please?

I have also posted this message on the GPS Technology part of the GC forum, but I'm not expecting much help from there since it is so heavily biased towards the USA.

According to the pocketgpsworld.com site yes it will accept normal Tomtom OV2 files and you can set up proximity warnings etc. You will need to save the OV2 and BMP file to the same folder as the one holding your map data, but there will be exisiting OV2 files on the SD card so look for them and save these ones in the same folder.