Some newbies = bad hides

geocat_

Even though we may be new with this (and only found 30) we are thinking of placing a cache. Looking over the guidelines (http://www.geocachin...guidelines.aspx) I think people may not read them before placing they're so long. Taking a Quiz about placing before they can place a cache would limit these bad caches

But, aren't they going to have to read and understand those "too long guidelines" in order to pass the test?

(Not to mention, of course, that when these users submitted their cache, they checked a box that stated that they had read them.)

I am looking for anyone's opinion on any of my hides.

Not much I can tell from the page, other than it is well composed, has 5 people watching it, (which to me is a good sign), has an apparently well deserved high D/T rating due to tools being required and that you listen to the advice of others. Using this little bit of information as a guide, my gut tells me it's a great hide. I wish it was closer. I would visit it and give you a detailed account.

I personally am new to geocaching. I never have very much time to go out caching, as I am very busy. I am looking for anyone's opinion on any of my hides. Here is my personal favorite of my 5ish hides. http://www.geocachin...4a-812e9f0e5c3d

Sometimes I feel bad about having 5ish hides but 45ish finds.

I remember you coming to the forums asking for someone with an axe to help you get the cache out. It had accidentally slipped down to where you couldn't get it out. Nice to see that you changed the DT from 2/3 to 5/4. Seems people are enjoying the challenge.

Ideally cache hiding should be about quality not quantity. I'm curious about what the motivation was for your last hide (now your 6th hide). You planted a micro where a large cache would fit, on purpose. You call it "Unnessasarily Small". Plus it's a glass vial.

I personally am new to geocaching. I never have very much time to go out caching, as I am very busy. I am looking for anyone's opinion on any of my hides. Here is my personal favorite of my 5ish hides. http://www.geocachin...4a-812e9f0e5c3d

I remember you coming to the forums asking for someone with an axe to help you get the cache out. It had accidentally slipped down to where you couldn't get it out. Nice to see that you changed the DT from 2/3 to 5/4. Seems people are enjoying the challenge.

Ideally cache hiding should be about quality not quantity. I'm curious about what the motivation was for your last hide (now your 6th hide). You planted a micro where a large cache would fit, on purpose. You call it "Unnessasarily Small". Plus it's a glass vial.

It's part of his series that might come to be. Didn't you read the page. He doesn't have to explain his hides because you don't like micros. :blink:

And he said a larger cache would fit not a large.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

It's part of his series that might come to be. Didn't you read the page. He doesn't have to explain his hides because you don't like micros. :blink:

He asked for feedback. I assumed that meant he wanted to create caches that the majority of cachers would consider quality hides. Micros only satisfy a minority and most of those are satisfied to simply up their smiley count by one. So how do you feel about the glass vial? Would you consider that a quality container?

Typo. But still translates about the same...a micro deliberately placed where the CO admits a largeR cache would fit. The guidelines say "Ideally, microcaches should be hidden in locations where larger containers could not be hidden easily,"

Edited by Lone R

He asked for feedback. I assumed that meant he wanted to create caches that the majority of cachers would consider quality hides. Micros only satisfy a minority and most of those are satisfied to simply up their smiley count by one. So how do you feel about the glass vial? Would you consider that a quality container?

Typo. But still translates about the same...a micro deliberately placed where the CO admits a largeR cache would fit. The guidelines say "Ideally, microcaches should be hidden in locations where larger containers could not be hidden easily,"

First off you didn't really give any feedback just questioning him on his choice of container size. As for the majority of cachers not liking micros is a bunch of crap. Just because you don't like them and your not the majority and neither is this forum. You also make it sound like he's doing something wrong by saying he deliberately placed a micro where a larger container would fit. Not cool either. I bet you never help out the new cachers either with comments like that. Really sad.

I personally would never use a glass container, but if the container keeps the log dry then so be it. He explained to be careful. I hide peanut butter jars, mayo jars and all sizes of ammo cans that are highly camoed.

Micros and any other size containers can be hidden anywhere the hider wants to hide them. In this case he wanted to hide a micro and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I really believe you're too jaded by hating micros to even discuss micros with you and that's REALLY sad. Maybe you should just stick to letterboxing.

Edited by the4dirtydogs
Didn't you read the page.

Didn't you read the post? :unsure:

He doesn't have to explain his hides because you don't like micros.

Two things;

1 ) Lone R is not demanding an explanation. He is asking a question. If you had read the post, you would know that Team Krammer asked for feedback. Generally, when someone asks for feedback, they are asking others for their honest opinions. Lone R asked a question so he could offer a valid opinion. There is nothing rude or uncharitable about that. But you jumping down his throat, making baseless accusations, is certainly uncalled for.

2 ) Had you done even a modicum of research you would have learned that Lone R doesn't dislike micros. A kwick glance at his favorites list, (which contains micros), or a peek at the very positive logs he has left on micros would have shown you that.

I think you owe Lone R an apology. <_<

Edited by Clan Riffster

Two things;

1 ) Lone R is not demanding an explanation. He is asking a question. If you had read the post, you would know that Team Krammer asked for feedback. Generally, when someone asks for feedback, they are asking others for their honest opinions. Lone R asked a question so he could offer a valid opinion. There is nothing rude or uncharitable about that. But you jumping down his throat, making baseless accusations, is certainly uncalled for.

2 ) Had you done even a modicum of research you would have learned that Lone R doesn't dislike micros. A kwick glance at his favorites list, (which contains micros), or a peek at the very positive logs he has left on micros would have shown you that.

I read the post and I don't owe him anything. He has his opinion and I have mine. To use words like you deliberatly placed a micro where a larger cache would fit is rude and uncalled for.It's part of team Kramers series. Also I've been around these forums long enough to know that Lone R doesn't like micros.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

Bah. Newbies do great hides. Yes, they can do bad hides, but I was a n00b with 20 finds when hid an ammo can on a mountain top.

I know cachers with thousands of hides who do unspectacular hides and cachers with only a few dozen finds who have the knack of it straight off.

Can't pull that one size fits all around here. Nope.

Two things;

I read the post and I don't owe him anything. He has his opinion and I have mine. To use words like you deliberatly placed a micro where a larger cache would fit is rude and uncalled for.It's part of team Kramers series. Also I've been around these forums long enough to know that Lone R doesn't like micros.

Anyways, I dont think the series will happen until I either A: find more or B: archive one. finding a few more is a much better idea, so I better get out there!

Even though we may be new with this (and only found 30) we are thinking of placing a cache. Looking over the guidelines (http://www.geocachin...guidelines.aspx) I think people may not read them before placing they're so long. Taking a Quiz about placing before they can place a cache would limit these bad caches

But, aren't they going to have to read and understand those "too long guidelines" in order to pass the test?

(Not to mention, of course, that when these users submitted their cache, they checked a box that stated that they had read them.)

Actually, I think the Guidelines have grown way to large. We both joined about a month apart in 2005. Do you remember a Knowledge Book with links upon links intertwined cache placing "rules". No. I read a page that had a the basics about don't bury, and don't go past a private property sign. I'm not sure if I could read all of today's guidelines and still figure out how to place a cache. Imagine if you didn't have a computer and were doing it all from a phone.

I read the post and I don't owe him anything.

So you feel entitled to your rudeness. Kinda sad, but if that's how you feel... :unsure:

He has his opinion and I have mine.

We all have our opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, even posting them is OK. This is, after all, an Internet forum. A place where ideas are shared. But to jump all over someone, who is not even in a conversation with you, posting false accusations about them, is the height of rudeness. But since you feel entitled to your rudeness, I don't have much hope for you changing in the future.

To use words like you deliberatly placed a micro where a larger cache would fit is rude and uncalled for.

It is neither, and I would guess about 5 seconds after your malicious attack on Lone R, you realized that. Now you are (hopefully), feeling embarrassed by your bizarre accusations. Too embarrassed to apologize, so you hide behind a veneer of self-righteous anger? Maybe? Your pride will be your downfall if this is how you behave every time you are wrong about something.

Lone R asked a simple question. Nothing more. The guidelines, as you know, specifically address utilizing micros in locations where larger caches would work. A common axiom in these forums is to use the largest container a location will support. I don't recall you ever flaming the folks who suggest doing so. Yet Lone R gets both barrels just for asking a question? It wasn't even worded in a rude or snotty way. Just an honest question. To someone else. And you hop in guns a blazing? What's up with that? :unsure:

Also I've been around these forums long enough to know that Lone R doesn't like micros.

Wow. Whooda thunkit? Presumably you can provide some evidence for this slander? Perhaps a few links to statements made to that effect by Lone R? I ask because the evidence I'm looking at, including his past posting history, his positive logs on micros he's found, and all the micros he's awarded favorite points to, would indicate that he has no particular issue with that size category. Yet you insist he's a micro-hater... :unsure:

Like Lone R, I have also been unjustly accused of being a micro hater by folks who can't be bothered with doing a hint of research, so I'm a bit sensitive to the topic. Perhaps it would be best to make a few mouse clicks before posting such inflammatory and insulting statements? :unsure:

Bah. Newbies do great hides. Yes, they can do bad hides, but I was a n00b with 20 finds when hid an ammo can on a mountain top.

I know cachers with thousands of hides who do unspectacular hides and cachers with only a few dozen finds who have the knack of it straight off.

^^ This.

So you feel entitled to your rudeness. Kinda sad, but if that's how you feel... :unsure:

We all have our opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, even posting them is OK. This is, after all, an Internet forum. A place where ideas are shared. But to jump all over someone, who is not even in a conversation with you, posting false accusations about them, is the height of rudeness. But since you feel entitled to your rudeness, I don't have much hope for you changing in the future.

To use words like you deliberatly placed a micro where a larger cache would fit is rude and uncalled for.

It is neither, and I would guess about 5 seconds after your malicious attack on Lone R, you realized that. Now you are (hopefully), feeling embarrassed by your bizarre accusations. Too embarrassed to apologize, so you hide behind a veneer of self-righteous anger? Maybe? Your pride will be your downfall if this is how you behave every time you are wrong about something.

Lone R asked a simple question. Nothing more. The guidelines, as you know, specifically address utilizing micros in locations where larger caches would work. A common axiom in these forums is to use the largest container a location will support. I don't recall you ever flaming the folks who suggest doing so. Yet Lone R gets both barrels just for asking a question? It wasn't even worded in a rude or snotty way. Just an honest question. To someone else. And you hop in guns a blazing? What's up with that? :unsure:

Also I've been around these forums long enough to know that Lone R doesn't like micros.

Wow. Whooda thunkit? Presumably you can provide some evidence for this slander? Perhaps a few links to statements made to that effect by Lone R? I ask because the evidence I'm looking at, including his past posting history, his positive logs on micros he's found, and all the micros he's awarded favorite points to, would indicate that he has no particular issue with that size category. Yet you insist he's a micro-hater... :unsure:

Like Lone R, I have also been unjustly accused of being a micro hater by folks who can't be bothered with doing a hint of research, so I'm a bit sensitive to the topic. Perhaps it would be best to make a few mouse clicks before posting such inflammatory and insulting statements? :unsure:

OH so it's OK for you to jump in on a conversation that doesn't involve you and slam me. :blink: Who's being rude now. Malicious attacks thats a good one. LMAO.

Two things;

+1

You are correct that I don't hate all micros. There are some very clever, thoughtful micros out there and I've enjoyed them quite a bit and said so in my online log. I have added a Favorite vote to some of them to I would recommend to others. Thanks for having a quick look through my recent finds to confirm this CR.

The micros that I don't enjoy are those placed because it's a cheap alternative and placed in a lousy location when steps away there's a better spot that could support a larger container.

Example, last week I found a magnetic key container under a lamp post skirt. I had no idea before setting out that this was going to happen. The cache was listed as a Small. The description said it was in a small forest along a greenspace. Up ahead I saw the small forest to the right. When I got to ground zero the arrow was pointing to the left to a line of trees between the greenspace and a Medical Unit parking lot. There was an accumulation of garbage in that line of trees - pop cans, water bottles, cigarette pack. And the magnetic key holder with a crammed in logsheet was under the lampskirt in the medical unit's parking lot. The CO chose this unattractive spot over the small forest about 50 steps away where a larger container would fit.

Edited by Lone R

Yup...I was glad to see the OP used the subject line that he did: "SOME newbies = bad hides"

Here's a quote from the cache's description:

The reason the cache is called "Unnecessarily Small" is because the location could support a bigger container, but that is the point of the series.

Deliberate means "carefully weighed or considered; studied; intentional"

So what I'm saying is Ryan intentionally chose to place a micro where a larger cache would fit. Plus he choose a container (glass vial) that can potentially be hazardous. Ryan asked for opinions on his hides and I take it that means he wants constructive feedback in order to improve them and create a good caching experience for others.

P.S. I am old enough to be Ryan's grandmother (i.e. I am not a guy - not that that's a bad thing ;) ). I think Ryan is in his early teens. Kids sometimes need some guidance. Plus my caching radius includes Ryan's area so that means I would be searching for some of his caches and I'd like it to be a win-win experience.

Edited by Lone R
OH so it's OK for you to jump in on a conversation that doesn't involve you and slam me.

Only in response to your unsolicited attack.

I am not a guy

Oops! Sorry for the gender assumption!

No apologies necessary. I haven't corrected anyone in the past because I didn't want to be treated differently but this seemed like an appropriate time to mention it.

DUDE why do you keep saying I'm attacking her.

Because you were.

You opened by questioning her participation in a mostly public forum:

First off you didn't really give any feedback just questioning him on his choice of container size.

Then you said her opinion was "crap":

As for the majority of cachers not liking micros is a bunch of crap.

Then you made a glaringly false accusation:

Just because you don't like them...

Then you twisted her words:

You also make it sound like he's doing something wrong by saying he deliberately placed a micro where a larger container would fit.

Then you made a judgement on her post:

Not cool either.

Then you made another glaringly false accusation:

I bet you never help out the new cachers either with comments like that.

Then you insulter her:

Really sad.

Then, in a later post, you combine a glaringly false accusation with an insult:

I really believe you're too jaded by hating micros to even discuss micros with you and that's REALLY sad.

Then you condescend:

Maybe you should just stick to letterboxing.

After all that, you attempt to justify your actions:

And minimize your actions:

Toss in a bit of hyperbole:

To use words like you deliberately placed a micro where a larger cache would fit is rude and uncalled for.

And again with the glaringly obvious false accusations

I'm reminded of the duck parable;

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.

What I see looks like a rather personal attack, and a violation of the forum guidelines.

All because she asked a rather simple, and perfectly valid question.

For the most part, folks utilize micros for a few reasons.

They prefer them, they couldn't fit a larger cache, and/or they are inexpensive.

(There are many other reasons, but those seem to be the top three)

In this case, the cache owner specifically asked for feedback on his caches. In other words, he openly solicited the opinions of others. Including Lone R. He also mentioned that he deliberately utilized a micro, where a larger cache would fit, something that is frowned upon in the guidelines. Lone R simply inquired as to why he made such a decision. It's a question I might have asked myself, had she not already asked it. Though, now that I know that asking such an innocent question could get me labeled as a micro-hater, I might not be so inquisitive.

DUDE why do you keep saying I'm attacking her.

Because you were.

You opened by questioning her participation in a mostly public forum:

First off you didn't really give any feedback just questioning him on his choice of container size.

Then you said her opinion was "crap":

As for the majority of cachers not liking micros is a bunch of crap.

Then you made a glaringly false accusation:

Just because you don't like them...

Then you twisted her words:

You also make it sound like he's doing something wrong by saying he deliberately placed a micro where a larger container would fit.

Then you made a judgement on her post:

Not cool either.

Then you made another glaringly false accusation:

I bet you never help out the new cachers either with comments like that.

Then you insulter her:

Really sad.

Then, in a later post, you combine a glaringly false accusation with an insult:

I really believe you're too jaded by hating micros to even discuss micros with you and that's REALLY sad.

Then you condescend:

Maybe you should just stick to letterboxing.

After all that, you attempt to justify your actions:

And minimize your actions:

Toss in a bit of hyperbole:

To use words like you deliberately placed a micro where a larger cache would fit is rude and uncalled for.

And again with the glaringly obvious false accusations

I'm reminded of the duck parable;

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.

What I see looks like a rather personal attack, and a violation of the forum guidelines.

All because she asked a rather simple, and perfectly valid question.

For the most part, folks utilize micros for a few reasons.

They prefer them, they couldn't fit a larger cache, and/or they are inexpensive.

(There are many other reasons, but those seem to be the top three)

In this case, the cache owner specifically asked for feedback on his caches. In other words, he openly solicited the opinions of others. Including Lone R. He also mentioned that he deliberately utilized a micro, where a larger cache would fit, something that is frowned upon in the guidelines. Lone R simply inquired as to why he made such a decision. It's a question I might have asked myself, had she not already asked it. Though, now that I know that asking such an innocent question could get me labeled as a micro-hater, I might not be so inquisitive.

Thanks, I didn't see it like that. My Bad.

I use a smartphone, I'm a newb, and I just placed my first cache.

A couple things I would have done differently, (Not that you did it wrong. We just have different tastes), is made it an ammo can....

And thus illustrates the problem, there is no concensus on what is, or is not, a bad hide. I personnally dislike ammo containers, almost more than any other choice. They get mildewy inside, leaves end up in them and decay, they are hard to open (I've cut myself a few times), and are in all ways (from my perspective) far inferior to a good lock and lock.

But again, to each his own, that's why I think letting newbies hide is great, maybe they'll not be put in "the box" of the local customs, and come up with some unique hides.

Let me also go public with my apologies. I should have addressed my thoughts through PMs or e-mails, rather than jumping on you in the forums. Mea Culpa, Brother! Let's get the egg off our collective faces and make some omeletes! :)

Sounds good to me since I was the one out of line. Again my apologies to Lone R.

Let me also go public with my apologies. I should have addressed my thoughts through PMs or e-mails, rather than jumping on you in the forums. Mea Culpa, Brother! Let's get the egg off our collective faces and make some omeletes! :)

Sounds good to me since I was the one out of line. Again my apologies to Lone R.

Group hug.

grouphugg.gif

Here's a quote from the cache's description:

The reason the cache is called "Unnecessarily Small" is because the location could support a bigger container, but that is the point of the series.

Deliberate means "carefully weighed or considered; studied; intentional"

So what I'm saying is Ryan intentionally chose to place a micro where a larger cache would fit. Plus he choose a container (glass vial) that can potentially be hazardous. Ryan asked for opinions on his hides and I take it that means he wants constructive feedback in order to improve them and create a good caching experience for others.

P.S. I am old enough to be Ryan's grandmother (i.e. I am not a guy - not that that's a bad thing ;) ). I think Ryan is in his early teens. Kids sometimes need some guidance. Plus my caching radius includes Ryan's area so that means I would be searching for some of his caches and I'd like it to be a win-win experience.

1: How do you know my name? :lol: And 2: The glass vial is quite thick, and GZ is far enough away from a hard surface that the cache wouldn't break if dropped. If you are implying that you don't like my cache, that's fine. But from what I've seen, (correct me if I'm wrong,) most, if not all finders did not complain.

Group hug.

grouphugg.gif

ACCK! Group Hug. Who's got the disinfectant???

Yes. There are some newbs who hide great caches. But that's rare. Yes. There are some old-timers who consistently hide terrible caches. But that's rare. (We even have someone with a few hundred interesting caches, but he never does maintenence.) The difference is that newbs who hide terrible caches, can learn from their mistakes, if they stick around. Theold-timers who hide terrible caches, obviously will never learn.

IMNSHO, the worst are the 'Three-day Wonders'. "Oh. This looks like fun! Lets hide some ZipLock Bags, or take-out food containers!" And that's the last you hear of them.

Then there are those with a purpose (or is it porpoise?) PBS. Scout merit badges. Splinterheads. Journalists. Parks that set out caches to bring caches to the park. Again, Three-Day Wonders. Hide it, and disappear.

Sigh.

Group hug.

grouphugg.gif

ACCK! Group Hug. Who's got the disinfectant???

Yes. There are some newbs who hide great caches. But that's rare. Yes. There are some old-timers who consistently hide terrible caches. But that's rare. (We even have someone with a few hundred interesting caches, but he never does maintenence.) The difference is that newbs who hide terrible caches, can learn from their mistakes, if they stick around. Theold-timers who hide terrible caches, obviously will never learn.

IMNSHO, the worst are the 'Three-day Wonders'. "Oh. This looks like fun! Lets hide some ZipLock Bags, or take-out food containers!" And that's the last you hear of them.

Then there are those with a purpose (or is it porpoise?) PBS. Scout merit badges. Splinterheads. Journalists. Parks that set out caches to bring caches to the park. Again, Three-Day Wonders. Hide it, and disappear.

Sigh.

I like that term, "Three-Day Wonders" Those are the kind I am seeing this summer. The ones that get out their phone, find a half dozen over the weekend with their friends (5 of which were probably under lamp post skirts) and then decide, "Hey, I can do that!" Next thing you know, they grab some Glad container from mom and dad's kitchen, throw a blank sheet pf paper inside (not an actual, printed log because that takes time and a sense of knowing what's nice for people who find the cache) and then toss it in a bush behind a gas station down the street.