Challenges = "I Dare You?"

ryanr69

I went back and looked at all the virtuals I've logged. While most were either to take a picture or to provide answers to questions, there were a few that had different tasks.

One said to claim a find I had to sit on the top of the peak and find the benchmark there (no picture was required).

Another, at the thermometer in Baker, California (supposedly the world's tallest free standing thermometer), the task was to touch the thermometer (to prevent logging a find while driving by on I15) and to post the temperature in your log.

Another was a 9/11 memorial where the task was to pick a name on the memorial and write about that person in your log.

A couple had no logging requirement at all and for these I ended up posting a picture, just to make it feel like I actually did something to point out I was there.

I do think people need to flag challenges that are not coordinate specific. If they are not one of the 5 or 6 posted by Groundspeak, any challenge that does not require going to a specific set of coordinates is not valid. These should not keep being brought up over and over as what a challenge is. Let's talk about what they are intended to be-go to a specific set of coordinates and do something,

As a librarian I rarely was surprised by what I found when I did a virtual. Either the information was on the page or my instinct for research kicked in and I found enough information to make an educated guess.

I must admit I googled the challenge Brian referred to. I may have ruined the aha moment but I did find some new really interesting information and a to do item if I'm ever in Paterson.

As for the worldwide challenges which are not location specific, they are a version of locationless and are controlled by Groundspeak,

I think adding twists to the photos adds fun and also makes it more difficult to use downloaded internet photos. The worldwide challenge to picture your finger on top of a prominent local landmark is a good example and creates a fun gallery of places around the world.

Edited by Team Taran

How so? A Challenge Cache requires you to visit a location, just like a traditional cache, but instead of finding a box and signing a log, they ask you to either complete a fun task at the site or take a photo at the site.

Why all the negative drama over this great new concept? You're all welcome to NOT complete any Challenge Caches, ya know.

These new Challenges ARE NOT Challenge Caches! They are two separate entities.

Agggghhhhh...

Because "completing fun tasks" is not finding something at a location. Finding something at a location is the core of geocaching.

No, going to the location is the core of geocaching. It ain't about the box. It's about the place.

"Find the cache, sign the log."

Visiting a guard rail or LPC is not about the location.

Would be nice if it was always about the location, but it doesn't.

I went back and looked at all the virtuals I've logged. While most were either to take a picture or to provide answers to questions, there were a few that had different tasks.

One said to claim a find I had to sit on the top of the peak and find the benchmark there (no picture was required).

Another, at the thermometer in Baker, California (supposedly the world's tallest free standing thermometer), the task was to touch the thermometer (to prevent logging a find while driving by on I15) and to post the temperature in your log.

Another was a 9/11 memorial where the task was to pick a name on the memorial and write about that person in your log.

A couple had no logging requirement at all and for these I ended up posting a picture, just to make it feel like I actually did something to point out I was there.

I forgot one. My all time favorite virtual cache.

Here the task was to do a card trick before you went to the virtual. When you found the virtual you were then blown away by what you found.

If you don't like to do something silly somewhere, then don't do it. You can even vote the challenge down if you'd like. That's the whole point of the system, the community gets to decide what's good and what isn't.

That system falls apart when the community is fragmented in what they want.

I think that's called democracy. :laughing:

It is a social community based system. If you don't agree with how it is progressing then you are probably in the minority. With the exception of a few basic rules, Groundspeak has left this one up to us to succeed or fail, and which ever one that is, it will most likely be based on the actions of the majority of the people who care the most about what they think about it.

How so? A Challenge Cache requires you to visit a location, just like a traditional cache, but instead of finding a box and signing a log, they ask you to either complete a fun task at the site or take a photo at the site.

Why all the negative drama over this great new concept? You're all welcome to NOT complete any Challenge Caches, ya know.

Agggghhhhh...

I think we need to come up with our own name for these new ones, regardless of what Groundspeak decided to call them.

Agggghhhhh...

I think we need to come up with our own name for these new ones, regardless of what Groundspeak decided to call them.

I like GeoTasks.

Agggghhhhh...

I like GeoTasks.

I would vote for an offshoot of JEEKS: "CHEEKS"

(just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Agggghhhhh...

CHEEKS (CHallenge jEEKS). :P

Agggghhhhh...

CHEEKS (CHallenge jEEKS). :P

Oh oh... you are thinking like me now, Toz! :sad:

I've been using this convention: The new task-based component of Geocaching are "Challenges" (one word, capital-C) and the ALR's in disguise (yes, a little editorializing there) are "challenge caches" (two words, no capitalization).

It's much like how if I am refering to something specific to this site I call it Geocaching or a Geocache (capital-G) but if I am refering to the hobby in general I call it geocaching or a geocache with lower-case G's.

I stole the idea from a lesson learned many years ago in Social Studies where I learned that someone can be conservative but not be a Conservative.

I've been using this convention: The new task-based component of Geocaching are "Challenges" (one word, capital-C) and the ALR's in disguise (yes, a little editorializing there) are "challenge caches" (two words, no capitalization).

I find it funny you call challenge caches ALRs in disguise when action challenges are just Pure ALRstm.

How to make a Pure ALRtm: Find an archived geocache with an ALR. Put it in a still and boil it until the impurities (i.e. cache container) are removed. List what left as a action challenge. You now have yourself a Pure ALRtm. :anibad:

I just don't get it. We all read and agreed to the terms of use when we signed up for our account. Or at least we indicated we did. There is even a warning on each cache page though I don't see any warnings on jumping out on me for challenges. They may want to fix that. if you have accepted the terms of you you have accepted that anything you do with regards to geocaching involves some level of risk. In a sense, every cache and challenge owner is "daring" you to find their cache or complete their challenge. At any point you can always decide you don't like it and walk away. No one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do.