Logging TB movements

elsi

I'm frustrated by the current capabilities of the Travel Bug logging. To 'take' a Travel Bug, you have to put in the unique number from the tag. Ok, I can understand that -- you have the bug in your possession. And, when you take a bug, you are given a place in which to write something about it.

But -- when I put a bug in a cache, I don't get an opportunity to write anything. And, if I didn't write down the tag number, I can't go back and add a simple log entry.

And -- to add insult to injury, I cannot edit/update the entry from when I took the bug. Heck, I can update cache logs, why not the bug logs?

One more whine about the TB logging & then I'll go off in my corner & sulk. When uploading photos, you can't describe them as you can on the cache pages. Thus, when someone views the photo, all they see is the image. It seems to me that this function should be identical to that of uploading images into the cache logs.

Sorry to moan & groan. I'm really having such a good time doing this stuff!

Elsi

The problem is that the Travel Bug section is always the little brother to the cache pages, which (rightfully so) get most attention by the programmers at Groundspeak. Any enhancements that happen to the cache pages (descriptions to the pictures, editing logs, etc.) that are added features to the caches do NOT automatically roll into the Travel Bug section.

I deal with two almost identical databases daily and have the same problem. Enhancements happen to the most frequently used (and groaned about) application. The secondary and less frequently used application does not get the same enhancements (which it should).

Keep complaining... maybe stuff will change.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

Another problem too, is that once you've put the bug in a cache, posting a mere note to the bug causes you to pick it up again. This is counter-intuitive, and if a person doesn't catch it, it could cause confusion when another person runs into the bug but can't use the system to "pick it up" because somebody else doesn't realize they have it.

The only way to pick up a bug and add comments is to pick it up, add a comment, and then move it to the desired cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

You have to change the "I have it!" drop-down to "Posting a Note" - although I've heard tell that it still grabs it anyway, which, of course, is a bug.

Nope, you can post a note without "grabbing it"

For example, this bug that I found, but chose not to move. (I don't move bugs any more) By "grabbing it" I assume you mean retrieving it. The notes on the page will specify that you retrieved it only if you log it as a find. Posting a note only will still put the bug on your "found bugs" list on your "my cache" page (as it should be), but you won't be in posession of it, so you don't need to drop it off.

[This message was edited by cachew nut on November 15, 2002 at 04:01 PM.]

I agree that this is how it's SUPPOSED to work. I have heard tell (no personal experience) that even when you post a note to the bug, SOMETIMES it still grabs it. No clear-cut evidence of this, and maybe the people claiming to have this problem just did it incorrectly. That's what I hope.

I just wanted to offer up something that I had heard a couple of times.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Nope, there is no checkbox. It's a dropdown list (as mentioned above) where you either claim "I found it!" or "Posting a note". Posting a note sometimes does cause you to pick up a bug... at least, it's happened to me and two other people who have a lot more experience with travel bugs and geocaching than I do.

Anyway, not wanting to cause argument, just reporting a bug. icon_smile.gif

NomadRaven

quote:
Originally posted by Nomad Raven:

Nope, there is no checkbox. It's a dropdown list (as mentioned above) where you either claim "I found it!" or "Posting a note". Posting a note sometimes does cause you to pick up a bug... at least, it's happened to me and two other people who have a lot more experience with travel bugs and geocaching than I do.

Anyway, not wanting to cause argument, just reporting a bug. icon_smile.gif

NomadRaven

There is no bug on the page, you need to uncheck the checkbox, I'm telling you.

For example:

[check box] Item was retrieved from the "North Branch Cache" cache by Centaur

(If this is checked, it will be marked as retrieved from the cache. Leave it unchecked if you found it somewhere else.)

Therefore if you choose "posting a note" from the drop-down, and uncheck to box, you will be credited with a bug find without actually taking posession of the bug.

No, I'm serious. And there isn't one in the source, either. I'm referring to the "Found it? Log it!" page for the travel bug.

The following fields exist: date, log type, tracking number, movement notification, and comments. The one and only checkbox on the form is the movement notification checkbox.

Unless you're on a completely different page, I can't explain why you see a checkbox that I don't. icon_smile.gif

NomadRaven

I can't explain what's wrong, maybe you need to make the text size smaller on your browser.

This is what I see when I click here

Tracking Number

If you enter the incorrect tracking number, the page will refresh. You must have a valid tracking number to log this item.

[checkbox] Notify me of movements

(If this item moves, you will get an email)

[checkbox] Item was retrieved from the "Chicago O'Hare Airport Bug Exchange" cache by mrplug

(If this is checked, it will be marked as retrieved from the cache. Leave it unchecked if you found it somewhere else.)

If the bug is currently in a cache and you go to post a note to the cache, you will get the screen with Cachew Nut's check box:

3419_9000.jpg

If, however, the bug is in someone's hands (anyone's), the page looks slightly different:

3419_9100.jpg

No Check Box

The problem is that the "Making a Note" drop down should over-ride the necessity for deselecting that check box. Make a note to a bug page should in no way affect its movements. Right now, if you make a note to the bug page of a bug that is in a cache, and don't deselect that box (as Cachew Nut said), it will REGRAB the bug.

This is the glitch I've been trying to document, and what has been causing so many problems with bugs erroneously being regrabbed.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Good detective work!

I guess I never had that second screen because I haven't tried logging a note on a bug that was already in someone's possesion.

On one cache hunt I spotted a bug and wrote the number down. When I got back home I went to post a note, but someone had grabbed it out of the cache. I searched by the travel bug number and found it. Luckily it was placed in another cache that same day, and I was still able to post my note.

From now on, logging "I have it" is the only way you can grab the bug. Otherwise it will just enter a log and leave the bug in its current status.

Yes, the travel bug section needs some updating and I'm going to prioritize this as soon as I get the maps online.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™