Need help caching with HTC Thunderbolt

OK, this is humbling for me.

I've been caching since 2004, doing it the old-style way. I've manually entered the coordinates of every cache I've ever found into my Garmin eTrex. Yes, I'm that rooted in the old school.

I recently, however, purchased an HTC Thunderbolt smartphone and would like to figure out how to start using it to enhance my caching life. I downloaded the c:geo app and have been playing with it a bit, and I'm looking forward to getting out into the world and actually finding caches without having to plan out all my trips way ahead of time.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to make the GPS in the phone accurate at all. 262 feet. That's the accuracy I have. And it won't get any better.

I've tried reading Droid forums, downloading all kinds of different "GPS Fix" apps, clicking all the location settings on and off... and I can't get the thing to do any better than 262. It's pretty useless at 262.

Another problem I have is that because I'm so far behind the game in this smartphone business, a lot of the "help sites" I find are written in terms that go way over my head. They're supposed to be (and probably are) simple, but they just aren't dumbed-down enough for me.

So if someone can talk way down to me and tell me step-by-step how to make this phone useful to me for caching purposes, it would be wonderfully appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It will sound ridiculous, but you do have "use GPS Satellites" enabled in your location settings, right?

To check, go to "all apps" (on your phone, hit the "up arrow" on the touch screen), then go to settings, location, and make sure "Use GPS Satellites" has a green tick in the box. You can enable/disable this setting more quickly by adding the GPS widget to your homescreen.

This is the first thing to check, though I am sure you will have had it enabled :)

This is one of the solutions I've seen on several forums. However, there are three settings under LOCATION on this phone ... and none of them is "Use GPS Satellites."

The three settings are "VZW Location Services," "Standalone GPS Services" and "Google Location Services." I have the green checkmark next to each.

I'm thinking the "Standalone GPS" one is comparable to the "Use GPS Satellites" setting that people keep referencing?

It will sound ridiculous, but you do have "use GPS Satellites" enabled in your location settings, right?

To check, go to "all apps" (on your phone, hit the "up arrow" on the touch screen), then go to settings, location, and make sure "Use GPS Satellites" has a green tick in the box. You can enable/disable this setting more quickly by adding the GPS widget to your homescreen.

This is the first thing to check, though I am sure you will have had it enabled :)

See, now this is where my stupidity comes into play.

I understand what you're trying to say. But without the Google Location Services activated, the phone has no idea where I am. In c:geo, for example, it just says "Trying to locate." I took it outside for 10 minutes and nothing happened.

So I *need* to have that the Google one checked, right?

Have you unticked the other two, and used only the Standalone GPS option?

I am unsure which of the 3 the phone/app will allow to take preference if they are all enabled, but definitely disable the other two and try again.

Edited by davee-n-cachincarrie
<br />See, now this is where my stupidity comes into play.<br /><br />I understand what you're trying to say. But without the Google Location Services activated, the phone has no idea where I am. In c:geo, for example, it just says "Trying to locate." I took it outside for 10 minutes and nothing happened.<br /><br />So I *need* to have that the Google one checked, right?<br /><br />
<br />Have you unticked the other two, and used only the Standalone GPS option?<br /><br />I am unsure which of the 3 the phone/app will allow to take preference if they are all enabled, but definitely disable the other two and try again.<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Make sure all 3 boxes are checked, then open the gps status app. Hit menu and choose tools. Then pick reset gps info. Hit menu again, tools then hit download agps data. See if after that u get a lock more accurate than u described.

Hmmm, the problem I have got here is that I have a different handset, in a different country, on a different "carrier" as you guys call it, on a different version of Android, using a different app!

On my Hero (older than your phone) and Sensation (newer than your phone) the only references to any Google services within the location settings menu were with regards to the Google Navigation app, and allowing it to interact with your phone.

If I were you I would have only standalone GPS ticked in location settings, then load the app. When the app has loaded, hit the settings button WITHIN the app (likely to be the 2nd physical button from the left on your handset) and see if there is anything regarding location settings within the app itself.

If this doesn't help, and no-one else helps in the interim then I'll update my Hero and install the app in question tomorrow and see if i encounter any problems - but for now it is 1am and I should really get some sleep!

Hope something here helps in the mean time!

I use an external bluetooth GPS with my HTC Inspire 4G, and it turns my phone into the best GPS I have ever owned. The one I use is the Qstarz BT-Q818XT... you can get them cheap on amazon. Then install the free app "bluetooth gps" and use it in "mock gps provider" mode, and all of your apps that need GPS will use it. You can just leave the Qstarz in a backpack, or a pocket, or in your hat and it will provide you with 2-3meter accuracy all day, and it runs up to 42 hours on a single charge.

ok i have the htc thunderbolt and i am sorry to say but it is defective from the get go. the gps will always mis read! period! sorry to break the bad news to you. BUT there are ways to make it alot better and one way to fix it. the first is to download from the market the app called gps status and tool box. then open the app then hit menu then tools then manage a gps state then reset then hit menu again,tools,manage gps state then download. what that does is it resets and downloads the freashest gps data to the device. now it wont be permanant so every couple of days you need to do this again. but for some reason it makes it better.

ok now the (geeky) or hard way to fix it depending on how much you realy want it to work properly (or so-so). and that is to root you htc thunderbolt and install a custom operating system on the device ( still android) and this will fix the gps when out doors but if your indoors it will give a different reading.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-hacks/

disclaimer: this is not illegal(atleast i dont think it is) but it will void your warrenty.i am not responsible if you do this. but if you do , do this it is reversable. so read all that you can and follow the directions to the "T" and it will work.

well thats about it. i am using my thunderbolt and the cgeo app and i have found 3 out of five caches the first time trying the hobby.. my son loves it although i am thinking or getting a gps unit like the megallan 510 so it would be dedicated to geocaching only. i feel that the thunderbolts gps is easily swayed by powerlines and its a little finicky. or maybe i dont know what the heck im doing? or both.

but if you goto the link above ive used the three step process to root my thunderbolt and ive done it four times ( yes i have gotten four replacement devices in the first month). but truely its the only way i found to stop the random reboots and the very very poor gps state. good luck

bob

Edited by dybbob