Challenges ..Worldwide ones...GS Approved.

yawppy

I wanted to run a test challenge...a worldwide one... well it appears that GS is the only ones that issue such challenges.

Not sure if this is new, or the way it was from roll out.

Here is what pops up if you try to add a worldwide challenge:

""What makes a good Challenge?

Location-specific

The location of a challenge should be directly related to the action. "Take a picture of yourself with the Eiffel Tower" is location-specific, while "Take pictures of the night sky in Seattle" or "Find this/a geocache" are not. The goal of Challenges, and Geocaching, is to explore the world around you.

There should only be one location where you can complete the challenge. Worldwide Challenges are only issued by Groundspeak, but you can recommend new Worldwide Challenges on our feedback site

Straightforward

The Challenge should be easy to understand and not too complicated to do.

Appropriate"

So.. that seems like they regulate that portion...why aren't the location specific ones?

Well..sure change is on the way!

GOF is correct. I am happy to see that the newer instructions are communicating this more clearly to users like the OP.

If you have an idea for a worldwide challenge, you can submit it for consideration by Groundspeak by posting in the Feedback forum set up for that purpose.

It all seems pretty odd. Now I understand why I only see 4 Worldwide challenges. But there are other challenges, which would be applicable worldwide, yet are forced to have a location. Seems like you can only see them by looking through the recent activity, or if you get lucky and search for the right location. Though you don't have the ability to specify a distance from that location.

I happened to find one tonight when I searched for Columbia, SC. Yet the challenge does not have to be completed in Columbia; just taking a picture in front of any fountain.

Didn't really mean to be complaining, and I suppose it'll get sorted out in time, but it seems that many of the challenges that people are posting could/should be Worldwide, yet can't be found by the vast majority of people unless they look through the recent activity and stumble upon it within the 24 hour time period, or if they decide to submit it for consideration as an "official" Worldwide challenge.

Edited by gporr

Glad to see the one I flagged called something like "Jeremey should get rid of this whole challenge thing." got archived. I flagged it as Unplayable

I'm not trying to complain. But GS should have been more specific on what we can and can't do. What I read was a little vague. I do see it now but some parts I'm still unsure about. And from what I saw since last night I'm not the only one.

What I am seeing is almost just like a virtual with a little twist.

The ones you are seeing that appear like they should be worldwide are the ones that are getting archived.

Bruce - What do you mean by "getting archived"? Does that mean those challenges are going away because they're inappropriate (i.e., non-location-specific)? If so, what happens if someone completes the "Lamppost Photo Challenge" and then that challenge gets archived? Does it no longer count towards their totals?

If archiving means "removing because it's inappropriate" then it seems a better solution might be for GS to have to approve any and all challenges before they can be accepted or completed. Or, if that's too much overhead, why not just let folks create Worldwide challenges without having to suggest them to GS first?

This is as good a spot as any...

I've been poking around looking for some clarification on the worldwide challenges. Are these intended to be a log it once and you're done operation? For instance, picking up 10 pieces of trash. This is a challenge that can be completed countless times in many different places. Is it the intention of GS that such a challenge is to be completed and logged only once, or that it could be logged completed multiple times by the same cacher?

This is as good a spot as any...

I've been poking around looking for some clarification on the worldwide challenges. Are these intended to be a log it once and you're done operation? For instance, picking up 10 pieces of trash. This is a challenge that can be completed countless times in many different places. Is it the intention of GS that such a challenge is to be completed and logged only once, or that it could be logged completed multiple times by the same cacher?

That's a good question that I can't answer...you could try it yourself, though. Nothing to loose.

I suspect they are intended to be a one-time thing...but then most cachers only log a cache once, even though multiple 'Found It' logs are possible.