Can I make my own travel bug proxy?

howarthe

I bought about 30 of those $4.00 tiny trackable travel bugs (ingots, turtles and unicorns), and maybe half of them are lost. I just finished a multi cache challenge, and the finders prize is pretty cool. It's just a sticker, but its very clever. I was thinking it would be fun to turn it into a trackable item (like a wooden nickel) using a code from one of my lost travel bugs. Is this possible? Is it cheating? The icon would still show up as an ingot, turtle or unicorn, but I could change the name, so it might make more sense to the finder when it show up. What do you think?

Travel bug tracking numbers can be re-used when the original bug/tag goes missing but the recommendation from the experts on this forum is that you should wait at least a year before creating a Copy tag. This is because the originals often re-appear again months later and you must try to avoid having two items out travelling on the same tracking number (Groundspeak don't allow this).

If you do go ahead with your idea, it's fine to change the title and details of the TB page to suit the new item - but please don't delete any logs from those who found the original one.

Hope that helps.

MrsB :)

Thanks, MrsB. That helps a lot. I actually do have a bug that has been lost more than a year, and it even has ZERO logs. It was the first bug I ever put out, and it never was found, not even in the very first cache. It made me very sad at the time, but I got over it :smile:

• Helpful 1

I had this very thing happen to me - the TB was lost right away. I found a site where they will engrave a small tag with the tracking number so you can recycle your TB. Check them out at <link removed by moderator - your search engine is your friend>

Edited by Eartha

I had this very thing happen to me - the TB was lost right away. I found a site where they will engrave a small tag with the tracking number so you can recycle your TB. Check them out at <link removed by moderator - your search engine is your friend>

Thanks. Not a bad deal, especially now that GS is making the "COPY" tags useless by saying on them "KEEP ME."

Edited by Eartha