Buyer Beware TeleType WorldNav GPS

nigels1

I bought a TeleType WorldNav 5200 GPS in April 2011 to use when towing my RV and, as instructed, registered the product on line.

It did not work correctly from day one, several major problems with data, conflict between verbal and visual instructions and it kept freezing. I complained. They sent me a patch on a micro chip, it resolved only one of the problems. After a few weeks it froze and this time would not reset. I complained again and they promised, in writing, to refund me, they sent me a return authorisation code, return form and details where to post the product to receive the refund. Because of their promise to refund me I bought a new Rand McNally RVND 5510. I also informed them that I would do this and returned the unit to them.

After two weeks I asked why I had not received my refund, first they lied and said that they could not find my email address, (they have had 11 emails from me), now they say I can't have a refund because I bought it from one of their retailers and not from them direct! There is nothing on their website or sales literature to say that I would be prejudiced if I bought from one of their retailers.

They say it is now repaired, (oh yes!), and wanted to return it to me. I reminded them that because they had promised me a refund I had now bought another GPS. They then suggested that I try and sell it on Ebay! Can you believe that! (Frankly I could not give it away knowing what junk it is). They also said if I did not agree that after 90 days they would destroy it!

I have made a formal complaint to BBB, Better Business Bureau, I will update this post with progress regularly.

PS. Since using the Rand McNally I now realise how useless (when it was working) the TeleType WorldNav GPS was. It is not an RV GPS at all but a Truck GPS with outdated and flawed software with a few, mostly irrelevant, RV features added to the software.

AmbientSkater: A GPS marketed to the trucking industry will come preloaded with specific truck routes, bridge heights/clearances, load limits, regional regulatory and insurance information, etc. This specialized data set is what differentiates it from a more general Nuvi-like car unit. The one the OP is ranting complaining about looks like a generic/cheapo Windows CE based unit with an uptick in price just for that data.

Out of curiosity I went looking for other reviews of this products and see the OP has posted TWO reviews on Amazon for two models, with essentially the same wording as his post here. And he joined the forums just yesterday, no GC find and no other posts. Very clearly the folks at Teletype WroldNav will be rightfully punished by his crusade.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

AmbientSkater: A GPS marketed to the trucking industry will come preloaded with specific truck routes, bridge heights/clearances, load limits, regional regulatory and insurance information, etc. This specialized data set is what differentiates it from a more general Nuvi-like car unit. The one the OP is ranting complaining about looks like a generic/cheapo Windows CE based unit with an uptick in price just for that data.

Out of curiosity I went looking for other reviews of this products and see the OP has posted TWO reviews on Amazon for two models, with essentially the same wording as his post here. And he joined the forums just yesterday, no GC find and no other posts. Very clearly the folks at Teletype WroldNav will be rightfully punished by his crusade.

Thanks for deleting Ranting, it is not a Rant but a complaint and a warning to others and of course you are right about the crusade IMO its time Teletype stood up to the plate and did something right. If they want to compete against the big boys then they nust behave likewise, not sell you a defective product and wash their hands of it. (thats a Rant) LOL

Thanks for deleting Ranting, it is not a Rant but a complaint and a warning to others and of course you are right about the crusade IMO its time Teletype stood up to the plate and did something right. If they want to compete against the big boys then they nust behave likewise, not sell you a defective product and wash their hands of it. (thats a Rant) LOL

Note that the replyless reply immediately above concerns a rantplaint regarding a GPS device which has no use in geocaching whatsoever.

I suggest that a Mod delete the entire thread.

If the thread is deleted then folks who use this Forum who buy a GPS (any type) from Teletype will most likely get burnt. Is that what you want?

Your call!

The facts of the case are true, I am giving you and the folks on this Forum an opportunity to learn that there better companies out there to buy a Gps from. It is true that the GPS is not specifically for Geocaching, but they do sell them. Also the problem in my post is two fold, poor quality product and poor service.

Lots of GPS discussion having nothing to do with geocaching does land in this forum.

But Nigels1 -- much as we ALL appreciate your heartfelt concern, I doubt anyone here needs to be warned away from company few of us had heard before of, selling a product that doesn't have anything to do with this hobby. I was going to say "nobody here (at least, nobody ELSE) would be #$%^&* enough to buy one" -- but that might be considered inflammatory and would draw a justifiable complaint.

Peddle it elsewhere. If you don't like this post, feel free to click the Report button at the lower left.

Exactly, multiple posts with similar wording and totally irrelevant to the nature of the forum (geocaching here) fit the definition of SPAM.

The original post is SPAM.

I am sorry to have invoked the wrath of one of your members for which I apologise, I have no problems with your opinions either. At least, I hope, that in the unlikely event that you or forum members may ever come accross TeleType you will remember this post and use your better judgement, thats all. If Teletype do the right thing, I will, to give credit when it is due, post it here and let you know.

Just an update.

BBB have contacted Teletype about my World Nav GPS several times, Tele Type just continue to say that I am not entitled to a refund, (even though I have it in writing from them that they would give me a refund). They have refused to answer the last letter from BBB.

I am not going to give up!