premium membership in the uk

Bronteyork

I've found several caches as a free member but now I've caught the bug I'd really like to become a premium member. However, I live in the UK and signing up for PM status is in US dollars - does anyone know how this works if I use a credit card? Will I be charged and extortionate exchange rate or is there a way to pay in sterling? How have other Brits become Premium members? Help please :)

If it's anything like us Canadians, you should be charged the exchange rate based on your Credit Card's policy, not Groundspeak's. Depending on your credit card provider this could be as low as current exchange.

I know that when my membership renews now I pay *less* Canadian dollars than the quote in USD. Reminds me of when I was a kid and our dollar was more valuable and we used to drive down across the border into the US to shop all the time!

Firstly, welcome to the hobby/addiction :) When I took out my first premium membership last year using a Visa debit card, the amount deducted was the exchange rate equivalent to $30. There may well have been a surcharge, but I don't recall what it was. The process itself was completed without any hassle, just filled in the required details and let the system do its bits.

The renewal has been done today (automatically as I'd ticked the box for recurring renewal) so I won't know the exact amount debited until the transaction is processed by the bank, but I'll make a point of looking at the detail to see if/what any surcharge may have been and post here for info.

Have fun and happy caching :)

Geobrian- (UK)

Edited by geobrian-

Yep, for Canada, and in the UK, your credit card will be billed $30 US and the credit card company does the conversion on the day the payment is processed. You will pay your credit card company in pounds sterling.

When I was still living in the UK, I found this out after a holiday in Canada. Now I live here and it is the same. It may (or may not) take a while for the charge to show up on your statement, so keep an eye out for it.

I've found several caches as a free member but now I've caught the bug I'd really like to become a premium member. However, I live in the UK and signing up for PM status is in US dollars - does anyone know how this works if I use a credit card? Will I be charged and extortionate exchange rate or is there a way to pay in sterling? How have other Brits become Premium members? Help please :)

In February this year I paid mine by Mastercard - amount charged £19.01. Well worth it.

thanks all - just the info I needed. I didn't want to suddenly find some massive charge on my credit card! I can't wait to sign up and get cracking on all the new geocaches :) £20 seems well worth it. Woo hoo!

Once your account shows as Premium Member, log out of the Forums, then log back in.

Otherwise the forums side will still show you as Member, rather than Premium Member.

Makes it easier for others when answering questions such as 'How do I make a Pocket Query' and your account shows Member, and not Premium Member! :laughing: