Desktop Icon

LarsThorwald

Anybody know why my desktop shortcut to geocaching.com is displayed as a generic windows icon? This is on a Windows ME O/S. On our Windows 98 computer, I get the cool geocaching logo as an icon.

Let's dispense with the fact that I sound like a geek with too much time on my hands. This just bugs me!

Any help would be greatfully appreciated...

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Actually, no. I'm not talking about custom ones, just what should normally show up when you make a shortcut from the Geocaching.com web page. On Win98 I get the standard geocaching logo; on WinME I get the generic microsoft "e."

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Lars,

If it's any interest, I created a shortcut (on ME), and when I did I had the Geocaching logo. Sometime later (maybe the next day or something) I noticed that the logo had changed to a generic E logo.

I don't think I changed anything.. I may have restarted my computer during that time, but I'm not sure.

Not a big deal, but I liked the geocaching logo.

Jamie

Lars go th the geocachign main page and right click on the logo pic and select [save picture as...] save it as a .bmp into some folder where you can find it. Then open microsoft paint and open the file into it. CLick file and select [save as] then save it as GC.ICO disregard the actual format selection at the bottom. then right click on the icon you have and select [properties] in that window click browse and find the GC.ICO that will save it as the icon.

Otherwise it may not save the icon from pulling it out of the browser.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

FavOrg will still work even if you delete your temp files. It works by downloading the icons, saving them to C:Program FilesFavOrgData and setting the shortcut icon to it.

Much like the method outlined above, but completely automated.

Cool I'll lhave to try it. The web site said that deleting temp files would delete the icon.

Making your own is a considerable bit of work especially if you have to resize them in paint.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.