Newbie with GPS question?

Hello all, I am looking at buying a GPS unit that i can use mainly for geocaching. Because of price I have been thinking of the Magellan eXplorist GC. With that said, I am partial to Garmin and have been for a long while. I have been reading some bad things about the Magellan so I am a little worried about buying that one. My question is, If I look at one of the Garmins or even something else, are they set up to link right with geocaching.com? Everything I read about the Magellan looks like it will link right with the site, but they dont appear to be dependable. Right now I am using my Droid phone but I can see where in the future I will want a dedicated unit.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Scott

Most all hand held GPSr made in the past couple of years or so will link with the site. But as a PM you'll want to run Pocket Queries. Those you'll save to your HDD then transfer the data to your unit.

Next month Garmin is releasing a new line of eTrex. The eTrex 10 should be just what your looking for. It will be as affordable if not more so then the GC. It has paperless caching and more.

Thanks Mpilchfamily, maybe I should wait for the Garmin next month. Do most of the GPS's have the same functions as the app on my droid? I went out tonight and found a few cache's and was able to take notes and then tweak them before I submitted them by using my lap top when I got back. I really liked doing this as it made things reeal easy for remembering what I found when I got back.

I really like the Garmin units right now. In terms of features and quality my opinion is they are at the top of the pack. The Magellan GC is the most inexpensive paperless unit, but I have heard to many issues of bugs, etc.

If you can hold off those new eTrex units (10, 20 & 30) should be out within the next couple months. They look very compelling based on features and price.

Thanks Tim, I agree with you on the Garmins. Unfortunately I have the I need it now disease, I think it stems from my childhood where we didnt have a whole lot but thats another story. I have Garmins in my cars and the vehicles at work, on my boat and a small one on my kayak....I am Garmin all the way. Thought I would give the Explorist a try, mainly for the price. If I really like the Geocaching thing i will certainly buy me a Garmin in the future. I am going to post about my experience today in another post. Thanks for the reply.

Scott