Advise on placing a cache

We have placed a couple of caches before but we had an idea for another one on a footpath along side our house.

We would put the cache right near our side gate.

The reason this idea came about was out daughter R.E. project for school....

She has been given £1.00 With this she has to make money for charity.

SHe has changed her £1.00 for 100 pennies and is asking is people would be willing to swap one of her pennies for a pound. If the plan works she should end up with £100.

Is is too cheeky to add this to the cache decription, of course no one HAS to swap. If we are in i would also make the cacher a cup of tea or coffee. hehe.

So I just need your advise ??/?

Anyone ??

Susan.

We have placed a couple of caches before but we had an idea for another one on a footpath along side our house.

We would put the cache right near our side gate.

The reason this idea came about was out daughter R.E. project for school....

She has been given £1.00 With this she has to make money for charity.

SHe has changed her £1.00 for 100 pennies and is asking is people would be willing to swap one of her pennies for a pound. If the plan works she should end up with £100.

Is is too cheeky to add this to the cache decription, of course no one HAS to swap. If we are in i would also make the cacher a cup of tea or coffee. hehe.

So I just need your advise ??/?

Anyone ??

Susan.

It's a nice idea and creative!

A coupe of caveats I think....

1) The reviewers are not going to allow anything on the description that promotes a charity - this is against GS rule - no matter how noble

2) Although I'm sure many geocachers are socially responsible and honest, there's a good chance someone is going to come along, and think nothing of trading that nice pile of money for a McToy or an acorn or something. You'd have a lot of difficulty building up any amount of cash before it was stoleH^H^H^H^H^ traded.

To get around (1) you could simply mention it as a school project, or maybe just link to a seperate webpage with the details? To get around (2) I have no idea - although.... what about listing an Event Cache instead? Then take the £1.00 and buy something to make pathtags or other signature item out of, make them and sell them to geocachers who come to the event? Or even just paint the pennies themselves or tie them to something?

So if i mention school project in the decribtion and leave the details in the cache box instead ???/

Shouldn't get stolen as it is right next to the house, the can check daily ...

Depending on the number of visitors this might also show who has/hasn't contributed ... :unsure:

So if i mention school project in the decribtion and leave the details in the cache box instead ???/

Shouldn't get stolen as it is right next to the house, the can check daily ...

Depending on the number of visitors this might also show who has/hasn't contributed ... :unsure:

Doesn't matter if people don't want to swap a penny for a pound.

Ok, so we will try tomorrow !!! Will call it 'Don't forget the pound' lol Later i think i will place one called 'Don't forget the egg box' When we have a couple more chickens again. hehe.

Ok, so we will try tomorrow !!! Will call it 'Don't forget the pound' lol
One minor point if you do this - I think it is best to mention exactly WHICH charity it's for, rather than simply "charity". "Charity" now has such a broad meaning that some "charities" have aims that are contrary to my views. For most I'd be more than happy to leave a pound, but for some I would be very annoyed if I found it had gone to them.

Rgds, Andy

I had a cache in my yard, about 60 feet from my back door. It was fun at first, then I got creeped out about having my address published online. Also, Geocachers came at all times and I felt obligated to go meet them. I had it archived and the coordinates removed by a Groundspeak rep.

Those are also things to consider. Do you want random, mostly complete strangers knowing where you live and searching around?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

We were diffently near the cake on the Sunday.... We were ment to go round people asking if they wanted to swap a penny for a pound on Saturday, but we were with friends who hadn't camped before so got a little bit drawn in.

She now has £27. 00

Thanks again for all those who swapped pennies, its for SOFT.U.K. Trisomy 13 is what our daughter had when she was born to heaven. A few people asked what the charity was here is a link. http://soft.org.uk/

Susan.