garmin oregon 450t

Hello everyone, upon returning from Las Vegas my GPS has had a mind of its own. The accuracy is way off by at least 30-40 yards and the only way I can zoom in to GZ is by using the map. The compass spins around and around at times and tell me to walk one way then flips around to the other. Today I installed the latest system from Garmin 4.50 (gps aoftware version 5.00) and went out again but again no better luck, GZ was around 25-30 yards from what the compass was telling me. After restarting several times it seems to work better. Batteries are new and also changed them.

Any help please.

Oneblacklab

Nevada to Quebec is far enough that your unit probably needed to figure out where it was and pull up a fresh almanac. You don't mention how many satellites you had and their strength when it was behaving badly, and that would have been helpful information. If you didn't wait for a bit in a stationary position back home, your unit might not have had a chance to acquire new and more appropriate data.

If it's behaving now - don't worry about it. But if it acts up again, check your satellite strength and count. If it stays whacked, check to make sure you're still on the WGS84 datum.

Nevada to Quebec is far enough that your unit probably needed to figure out where it was and pull up a fresh almanac. You don't mention how many satellites you had and their strength when it was behaving badly, and that would have been helpful information. If you didn't wait for a bit in a stationary position back home, your unit might not have had a chance to acquire new and more appropriate data.

If it's behaving now - don't worry about it. But if it acts up again, check your satellite strength and count. If it stays whacked, check to make sure you're still on the WGS84 datum.

Yes i left it outside for 10 minutes at least where we live in Ontario and it locked on to the usual satellites and the strength was normal (GPS accuracy 15feet) GPS is on using the WAAS/EGNOS setting.

Also it is set to WGS84 datum.

Thanks for some assistance

Yes i left it outside for 10 minutes at least where we live in Ontario and it locked on to the usual satellites and the strength was normal (GPS accuracy 15feet) GPS is on using the WAAS/EGNOS setting.

Sometimes the Garmin update will turn off the WAAS/EGNOS settings.

And 10 minutes may not be long enough to get ALL the required information from the Almanac...

Sometimes the Garmin update will turn off the WAAS/EGNOS settings.

And 10 minutes may not be long enough to get ALL the required information from the Almanac...

Thanks for the replies, I have it sitting outside now and will leave it there for 30mins. Still seems odd as I had it on while driving from Toronto to Montreal which is a 6 hour drive so i would think by then it would acquire what it needed. Ill post results later on how it works

Still seems odd as I had it on while driving from Toronto to Montreal which is a 6 hour drive so i would think by then it would acquire what it needed.

That - um - is a data point you hadn't provided to us before. Indeed, it should and would have pulled all of the requisite info during your drive. Double check WAAS/EGNOS enabled, datum is WGS84. Then if you've still got major issues, please check satellite page for number and strength and report back.

Still seems odd as I had it on while driving from Toronto to Montreal which is a 6 hour drive so i would think by then it would acquire what it needed.

That - um - is a data point you hadn't provided to us before. Indeed, it should and would have pulled all of the requisite info during your drive. Double check WAAS/EGNOS enabled, datum is WGS84. Then if you've still got major issues, please check satellite page for number and strength and report back.

I had a similar experience with my Dakota 10 (10 to 20 meters off, had to navigate to a cache using the map) and I was on the road from Quebec to Ontario. Well, I had the Dakota set to lock on road, and the cache was not on the road. Once I set the gps to not lock on road, it behaved normally again (but it showed me sometimes driving in a lake).

I have a question. I hope it's not too obvious, but I would like to know why my Garmin Nuvi, which I have used all over the U.S. including Hawaii, picks up satellites instantly. But my Garmin 60CSx handheld (which I always bring along) will think and think and think until it acquires the signals, which it eventually always does. Do the two units use different technology? Please excuse my naivety, I'm not much of a techie.

I had a similar experience with my Dakota 10 (10 to 20 meters off, had to navigate to a cache using the map) and I was on the road from Quebec to Ontario. Well, I had the Dakota set to lock on road, and the cache was not on the road. Once I set the gps to not lock on road, it behaved normally again (but it showed me sometimes driving in a lake).

Solved that was my problem, I had it or my wife (hee hee) had it set to lock on the road. Went out this afternoon to find a cache I have found previous and it was within the normal accuracy range. Thanks for the help.