premium membership question

acachebox

Pocket Queries - the ability to do wide searches in areas - remain the main benefit for me. I am not dependant on network coverage and easily choose the area where I will be caching, the type of caches I want to find, and plan routes accordingly. Finding caches along a route also helps me focus my caching on particular trips. The geosphere app makes queries particularly useful because I can filter the results in a number of ways, link a cache to Navigon for routing, and enjoy the beautiful HTML display. In any case, pocket queries gives you flexibility and tools beyond what the Groundspeak app is designed to do on its own.

There are other premium membership benefits I use of course. The ignore list is handy for caches that require equipment I do not have or for puzzles that I have no interest in solving. Some people like statistics and favorites.

Pocket Queries - the ability to do wide searches in areas - remain the main benefit for me. I am not dependant on network coverage and easily choose the area where I will be caching, the type of caches I want to find, and plan routes accordingly. Finding caches along a route also helps me focus my caching on particular trips. The geosphere app makes queries particularly useful because I can filter the results in a number of ways, link a cache to Navigon for routing, and enjoy the beautiful HTML display. In any case, pocket queries gives you flexibility and tools beyond what the Groundspeak app is designed to do on its own.

There are other premium membership benefits I use of course. The ignore list is handy for caches that require equipment I do not have or for puzzles that I have no interest in solving. Some people like statistics and favorites.

Can you go into greater detail as to what a pocket query is and how it works? The filters look interesting for the ability to exclude some things.

One thing that may be of help on my PC would be the ability to get rid of caches I have found. I think this is possible but would like conformation on that.

If you like to plan ahead for trips, solve puzzles, or do fancy stats PQ's are worth every penny of that $30 ten times over.

Caches along a route is basically an extension of a PQ and is helpful for road trips.

Favorite points are a nice way of rewarding hiders for good hides.

Bookmark lists are indispensable for challenge caches or just putting together a list of must do's.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of premium membership when applied only to using an I Phone?

Reading the comments I am not sure that everything applies to the I Phone.

start here Premium Membership Benefits

after that everything you need to know is in the Knowledge Books & Support

There is a lot of info about pocket queries here:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Lots of information but I do not see anything the relates to using with an IPhone.

The mention of a cable connection leads me to believe there may be limitations.

OMG you need to use a cable, how exactly do you expect to get data on a device?

last time i checked telepathy doesn't work

Edited by t4e

What are the advantages and disadvantages of premium membership when applied only to using an I Phone?

Lots of information but I do not see anything the relates to using with an IPhone.

Again lots of Information but nothing relating to the IPhone.

And yes the cable is a limitation while working with a IPhone as there is no port for a cable on the phone so data transfer has to be through telepathy or not at all.

I don't have any experience with an iPhone, but I have been able to download the PQ files directly to my Android phones. Then I loaded the PQ files into GeoBeagle.

With Groundspeak's Geocaching app, I can download post PQs directly via a menu button in the app. For my "solved unfound puzzles" PQ, I send the PQ data to a third-party app, and from there I download a GPX file with corrected coordinates to my Android phone. Then I load the GPX into Groundspeak's Geocaching app.

Again lots of Information but nothing relating to the IPhone.

And yes the cable is a limitation while working with a IPhone as there is no port for a cable on the phone so data transfer has to be through telepathy or not at all.

how the heck you charge it?...of course it has a data cable...its an amazing $1.80

foo.jpg?object_type=detailed&image_id=2415

I transfer my pocket query results to my iPhone through 3G or wifi. Using geosphere, it is a simple process of downloading the pocket query result from the geocaching site. It is very simple using the Groundspeak app is well.

I think the Groundspeak app and premium membership do two different things. The app is great for caching on the go, looking at a small group of caches, logging in a cache or two. I use premium membership to do wider searches, load caches that would be outside network coverage, and identify the types of caches that I want to seek. Although I also use a handheld gpsr, it makes my iPhone apps better -- just as the apps complement the caching that I do.

acachebox,

I'm confused of what you're asking. I have an iPhone 4 and I download my pocket queries via wifi connection or cell service to my iPhone. Everything you read about pocket queries can be done and downloaded using the Groundspeak APP. There us a free version of this APP if you want to try it out.

No cables needed.

Do you have an iTouch? With that, you can only use wifi if you're setup for it.

acachebox,

I'm confused of what you're asking. I have an iPhone 4 and I download my pocket queries via wifi connection or cell service to my iPhone. Everything you read about pocket queries can be done and downloaded using the Groundspeak APP. There us a free version of this APP if you want to try it out.

No cables needed.

Do you have an iTouch? With that, you can only use wifi if you're setup for it.

Thanks for directly addressing the question. I think my best bet will be to locate a cacher using and I Phone that I can look over their shoulder and get some first hand exp.

Do you have the geocaching APP on your iPhone?

Once you have that APP installed and start using it - it should all be easy to understand.

Without the premium membership, you are limited to searching for caches:

1) nearby caches (current location of the phone)

2) by address or postal code

3) by GC code

Note: the app will show 30 at a time and you have to keep refreshing to gain more caches (per say)

With premium membership and pocket queries - you can load large amounts of data/caches in any area and sorted and itemized how you want them (so to speak).

Do you have the geocaching APP on your iPhone?

Once you have that APP installed and start using it - it should all be easy to understand.

Without the premium membership, you are limited to searching for caches:

1) nearby caches (current location of the phone)

2) by address or postal code

3) by GC code

Note: the app will show 30 at a time and you have to keep refreshing to gain more caches (per say)

With premium membership and pocket queries - you can load large amounts of data/caches in any area and sorted and itemized how you want them (so to speak).

Yes I have been using the app on my phone. My biggest gripe is it does not get rid of past finds and thus they clutter the phone during future searches.

The premium is looking more interesting as we write.

I am not familiar with the iPhone version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app, but in the Android version, there is a user preferences setting for whether you want to see all caches, or to hide your finds. Perhaps the app is set to show all caches, and you need to set it to hide your finds.

Yes I have been using the app on my phone. My biggest gripe is it does not get rid of past finds and thus they clutter the phone during future searches.

On the main screen of the Geocaching App - At the top of the screen hit MENU. Then hit SETTINGS.

Scroll down and click on MY FINDS

You'll get 2 choices - 1) Exclude My Finds OR 2)Include My Finds

On the main screen of the Geocaching App - At the top of the screen hit MENU. Then hit SETTINGS.

My Bad. In my last comment I meant that my finds were not excluded during future searches on my PC. A rear nuisance but I believe that can be done with Premium Service on the PC

I do have them excluded on the I Phone.