eTrex Yellow Waypoint Names

My trusty old etrex yellow will only store waypoint names of 6 characters or less. That was fine when cache names were only 6 characters long, but nowadays 7 characters is the norm so the waypoint name gets truncated when downloaded directly to the GPSr. I have to download first to EasyGPS, then manually rename all the waypoints to something <6 characters before sending them to the GPSr. Is there a way to adjust the eTrex storage so it'll accept longer waypoint names, if necessary at the expense of being able to store fewer waypoints ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that. I'm aware I can use an intermediary program like EasyGPS to edit the download, but - being inherently lazy (!) - I was looking for a way to simply click the download button and be able to store the name & Coords without having to do any manual editing.

Haven't tried GSAK: can you set it to drop the GC automatically, or do you still have to edit all the names ?

Thanks again.

GSAK will drop if you use the code %drop2

or it can be set to send caches as Smart Names, to any length you want (6 for your unit)

Once you've set up how you want to export things, save the settings for next time.

GSAK http://gsak.net/

Free for 21 days (fully functioning) you get a 'nag screen' (Like to pay to use this? type thing) but it still works.

Warning. It can look a little intimidating to start with, but it gets easier with use.

Plenty of help files attached to it, and very helpful forums.