NuMap Map Updates

Hi all,

I recently purchased the NuMap Lifetime Updates for North America City Navigator NT. I use the maps with my Garmin Vista HCx. Apparently the way the updates work is you start a Map Update program that downloads the updates instead of downloading an update file directly, however this program keeps crashing after downloading data for a few hours. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem and if there is fix.

Thanks

Hi all,

I recently purchased the NuMap Lifetime Updates for North America City Navigator NT. I use the maps with my Garmin Vista HCx. Apparently the way the updates work is you start a Map Update program that downloads the updates instead of downloading an update file directly, however this program keeps crashing after downloading data for a few hours. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem and if there is fix.

Thanks

Is there any error message? Or does your computer simply BSOD? And what are you updating? Do you have a purchased pre-loaded card? Or is this a card that you used the DVD product to load on to the card? If this is the DVD product is this the unit that was unlocked with the DVD?

I'm not a user of that product, but do use one that's similar for another brand, and we hear similar stories there.

Important question - is the program actually crashing (halting with error messages) or does is it that the file transfer ceases, and the program just appears to be 'locked up'? Are you attempting to perform the update through a wired or wireless network connection? I ask because some of these programs aren't very robust - they can't/don't properly restart a transfer after an interrupted network connection, something that may occur from time to time, especially in a wireless environment. To those folks, we recommend moving to a wired connection somewhere long enough to get the job done. I'm a bit surprised that CN requires "a few hours" to download. The N.A. map will often download in around an hour on a decent connection. Again, what kind of network connection do you have?

Hi all,

Thanks

Is there any error message? Or does your computer simply BSOD? And what are you updating? Do you have a purchased pre-loaded card? Or is this a card that you used the DVD product to load on to the card? If this is the DVD product is this the unit that was unlocked with the DVD?

It gives me the message that the Map Updater program caused some error and Windows had to close it with the standard "would you like to send the information to Microsoft" option. Everything is done online with these updates. I purchased the DVD of the maps several years ago and I want to update them. When I purchased the DVD and registered it to my GPSr I was able to download a map update after that; but that download was a direct download of the map files.

I believe what is supposed to happen; (but I haven't gotten that far yet!)is that this Map Updater software downloads the map update, installs it to MapSource on my computer, and then I can load it onto my Vista HCx.

I'm not a user of that product, but do use one that's similar for another brand, and we hear similar stories there.

Important question - is the program actually crashing (halting with error messages) or does is it that the file transfer ceases, and the program just appears to be 'locked up'? Are you attempting to perform the update through a wired or wireless network connection? I ask because some of these programs aren't very robust - they can't/don't properly restart a transfer after an interrupted network connection, something that may occur from time to time, especially in a wireless environment. To those folks, we recommend moving to a wired connection somewhere long enough to get the job done. I'm a bit surprised that CN requires "a few hours" to download. The N.A. map will often download in around an hour on a decent connection. Again, what kind of network connection do you have?

The program actually crashes. I have a wired connection so if it gets interrupted I don't think that is happening on my end. When it starts downloading the program says about an hour to download but if I come back an hour later it will say 40 minutes left.

Have you successfully used this Map Updater program? What happens after downloading all of the map data?

Thanks

You need to have the unlocked NA map data card in your Vista. Your Vista needs to be hooked up to the USB port and turned on. The Updater will optionally install NA in mapsource but it will update the card on your Vista. It will not update the original DVD installation.

You need to have the unlocked NA map data card in your Vista. Your Vista needs to be hooked up to the USB port and turned on. The Updater will optionally install NA in mapsource but it will update the card on your Vista. It will not update the original DVD installation.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what was supposed to happen after everything downloads.