Toronto Zoo

ToonAl

This is not specifically a question about geocaching but it is a question about maps and Canada. Has anyone noticed that the Metro Toronto Zoo on googlemaps is written in Asian characters? I tried with two different browsers and I get the same thing. Anyone know what is going on here?

I first noticed this on the geocaching website. (Needless geocaching tie in, yes I know they are using a googlemaps overlay.) :)

ToonAl

Heh. Curious.

There's a system in place for submitting edits to places on Google Maps, that get passed through some sort of moderation/verification before being approved. If you look on the zoo's POI pop-up on Google Maps, there's a "Show All Edits" link. One of the things it seems you can do with this is add additional names to places, or names in other languages.

Skimming through the edit history, it looks like what happened was there was a big edit to the item a month ago that added/corrected a bunch of information, and changed the classification of the name in various languages, and somehow the name with the language set to English was deleted but not re-added in this process:

Changed on May 11, 2011 5:23am

Approved |

Name

Deleted: Toronto Zoo (French, type: Obscure)

Deleted: トロント動物園 (Japanese, type: )

Deleted: Зоопарк Торонто (Russian, type: )

Deleted: 多伦多动物园 (Chinese (China), type: )

Deleted: 多倫多動物園 (Chinese (Taiwan), type: )

Deleted: Toronto Zoo (English, type: Obscure)

Added: Toronto Zoo (German, type: Preferred)

Added: Toronto Zoo (Turkish, type: Preferred)

Added: Toronto Zoo (French, type: Preferred)

Added: トロント動物園 (Japanese, type: Preferred)

Added: Зоопарк Торонто (Russian, type: Preferred)

I'm not quite sure if this was some clever vandalism or an honest mistake. There's a couple week-old "pending" edits to switch it back to the English name.