Frustrated with Magellan GC

belsanti

:(:(

Hello,

I just bought this gps and trying to download caches. No luck, just error messages. Have went to Magellan site and download the software 1.6 and the NMEA driver. Then I tried downloading GPX file applications. Still nothing. Any ideas? I am taking my son to 2 week trip in Black Hills SD and we would love to do some geocaching there.

Thank you

You don't need any special applications, and since you've already grabbed the .gpx file, you've got the "hard" part down.

Connect your GC to your computer and it should show up as a drive in Windows Explorer or, if you have a Mac, in the Finder.

Simply drag that .GPX file into the geocaches folder, and that's that.

Then properly unmount the unit (eject it in Windows, Unmount it on the Mac).

When you start up the unit, you should be able to search for any of the caches you added.

Piece of cake! smile.gif

I have no idea what it means to run a PQ.

I just uninstalled the software again for the 4th time and reinstalled and now it is back to San Diego caches. I live in Chicago, so I have no need for San Diego caches or maps. When I click on maps it also puts me in San Diego. I thought this was supposed to be a user friendly, easy device. I am so frustrated because I bought it online and do not think I can return this.

You need to give the device time to find the sats in your area. Turn it on and leave it near a window for about 30 minutes or more. Once it gets a lock on its location you'll be able to pull up the pre installed caches near you. The maps that it has cover the entire US but its limited to major roadways.

As a premium member it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with Pocket Queries. They will become your primary means of downloading caches in bulk and getting them installed on your unit. They are also the only means you have of getting all the cache details into the unit as well. Here is a good article on PQs.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

Okay, then let's start from the basics.

How to create and run your first pocket query:

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=118

As for the caches on the device:

1. Hook the GPS up to your computer (like I explained above)

2. In the Geocaches folder and in the Waypoints folder, delete everything there. That will start you fresh. From scratch.

3. Take the GPX file that the Pocket Query creates (see above) and load that into the geocaches folder.

4. Unmount it properly (eject it on the Mac or Remove Device from Windows)

5. Power on the device.

6. Wait until you have a signal (four beeps). YOU WILL NOT GET ANYTHING UNLESS YOU'RE OUTSIDE. If you're indoors, don't even bother. Go outside, then turn it on. It may take a few minutes for the first find of the satellites. After that, it'll only take awhile if you go away from the area you were in when you last turned it off.

7. Click on Geocaches. They will all be the caches closest to you.

Don't worry so much about the software reinstalling. If you find a cache you like, click the button in the information box that says GPX file and simply copy that file onto the GPS when it's hooked up to the computer.

There ya go!

Edited by vincenzosi

I just reinstalled everything..although the device says connected to pc, the red bar that shows that it is connected didnt move when I installed everything so I do not know if that worked. I tried to download a cache to gpx and it wants to open file with MS internet explorer and when I hit ok, it gives me a screen of computer writing that is totally greek to me. So then I went back and clicked search for a program to open files and downloaded something else that probably will give me a virus. Should I just uninstall everything again and try to start over? It really has taken the fun out of this for me...I have been trying to set this up since Friday.

I just reinstalled everything..although the device says connected to pc, the red bar that shows that it is connected didnt move when I installed everything so I do not know if that worked. I tried to download a cache to gpx and it wants to open file with MS internet explorer and when I hit ok, it gives me a screen of computer writing that is totally greek to me. So then I went back and clicked search for a program to open files and downloaded something else that probably will give me a virus. Should I just uninstall everything again and try to start over? It really has taken the fun out of this for me...I have been trying to set this up since Friday.

You don't have to install a single solitary thing. There is no PC software required for the method I just gave you above.

Don't open the file when you download it, just save it. You probably have the file in your My Documents \ Downloads folder. Just take the FILENAME.GPX file and copy it to the GEOCACHES folder on the device.

Quit removing and re-installing things. Pay attention to what Vincenzosi is telling you. You keep ignoring help, folks are gonna stop helping.

That was a little harsh dontcha think? <_<

Thank you Vincenzosi and mpilchfamily :D I finally was able to download the caches successfully. I deleted everything as you said and then I was able to download them. I have not yet set up the pocket query lol..I am just happy to have been able to download caches. I think I should have been clicking download to gps and instead I was clicking download to loc or gsx, so that was where my problems were to begin with.

I am going to try the pocket querey later today. Thanks again for your assistance! :D

Quit removing and re-installing things. Pay attention to what Vincenzosi is telling you. You keep ignoring help, folks are gonna stop helping.

That was a little harsh dontcha think? <_<

Thank you Vincenzosi and mpilchfamily :D I finally was able to download the caches successfully. I deleted everything as you said and then I was able to download them. I have not yet set up the pocket query lol..I am just happy to have been able to download caches. I think I should have been clicking download to gps and instead I was clicking download to loc or gsx, so that was where my problems were to begin with.

I am going to try the pocket querey later today. Thanks again for your assistance! :D

Anytime, my friend. Good luck with it!

Incidentally, I have the Explorist GC and aside from the lack of a compass, it's perfect in just about every way.

Something you should be aware of:

1. It EATS alkaline batteries, so always keep spares. The original batteries lasted me much longer.

2. Even though it doesn't have a compass, it's pretty good at tracking your direction while you're walking.

Again, good luck! Hope you have fun!

To get longer battery life on the GC, I went into settings and have the backlight turn off after 2 mins and have the brightness set so the slider is under the "h" in Brightness.

Also, in Tools, scroll down to owner information - we have Team Popoki entered under name and a contact email address, just in case we drop the GC anywhere. One was found IN a cache in our area recently...

Have a great trip!

Thanks for this informative thread. My unit has been sitting in my key drawer for a month now because I couldn't figure it out. I'll have to give it another try tonight. :)

Cool. Let me know if you need anything. You can PM me if you want. I've had a lot of fun with the little guy and I'm perfectly happy to help someone else enjoy it!

I only have one problem. I have no Geocaches or Waypoints folders on my GC.

What should I do?

Edit: I was wrong. D'oh.

However, the time on my GC is wrong. It is showing 11:26am, when it's actually 11:26pm. It was showing the time as exactly 3 hours off (ex. 2:26am).

Any ideas?

Ok, ok. Updated the firmware and all is well. Can't wait to get out there with this thing.

Edited by wvdad