organizing paper clutter

Shortly after starting geocaching, just over 5 months ago, I bought a gps (Garmin eTrex). I am cheap and since this works, I can't justify buying a more expensive gps at this time (maybe someday). Because my gps is not paperless, I write all the details out on papers that are in a bag now. They are mostly handwritten lists of the geocaches on the way to a specific destination. When I first started, this was no big deal - there were just a few pages. Now, with 250+ finds, I probably have a hundred pages and it is an unorganized mess. I need to go through my bag and throw out any papers that I've completed, only most of the time, there are one or two caches that I couldn't find or didn't have time to look for. I even have repeated entries, since one time I might write down a cache because it is on a certain road. A month later, that same cache might be on a page leading to a store in another community. It fits into both parameters.

Other than buying a smartphone or a fancier gps, are there any suggestions of a way to organize this stuff? It now takes me so long to look through my bag to try to find out if I've already taken the time previously to write down all the information regarding a cache. I know that less and less people are doing this without paperless devices, but there must be a few others out there who have some good ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

One suggestion.

GSAK

It has 'User Notes' where you can add, well, user notes!

It will allow you to search for caches in a certain area, or along a route, and will show you which have user notes...

The downside is the etrex won't show the notes.

But GSAK will allow you to print out a list of the caches and the user notes, several caches per page.

Cuts down on paper, keeps the cache info up to date, and allows you to search caches in an area before you go.

One suggestion.

GSAK

It has 'User Notes' where you can add, well, user notes!

It will allow you to search for caches in a certain area, or along a route, and will show you which have user notes...

The downside is the etrex won't show the notes.

But GSAK will allow you to print out a list of the caches and the user notes, several caches per page.

Cuts down on paper, keeps the cache info up to date, and allows you to search caches in an area before you go.

Try this (worked for us, dunno about you)...

Print cache page, use it to find (or try to find)-- make notes on the face if that page, place "X" in upper right corner when cache IS FOUND, go home and log caches online. As each cache is logged online, place a LARGE, corner-to-corner red "X" across the face of that page. Separate those red-x'ed pages out.

Now, at that point you could pitch them, OR use the reverse side to print a new-to-hunt cache onto (save a tree).

Once logged, I see no reason to hold onto the page for that particular cache. The online maps shows that you found it, if you look at the cache online, in the near upper right corner, it tells you what date you found it. A DNF log, does not show up with a smiley because you, well... did not find it.

If you don't already use one, a clipboard comes in awfully handy. Do get a good one with a STRONG spring clasp. Does wonders for managing paper.

Hope it helps, at least a little.

Good luck!

Try this (worked for us, dunno about you)...

Print cache page, use it to find (or try to find)-- make notes on the face if that page, place "X" in upper right corner when cache IS FOUND, go home and log caches online. As each cache is logged online, place a LARGE, corner-to-corner red "X" across the face of that page. Separate those red-x'ed pages out.

Now, at that point you could pitch them, OR use the reverse side to print a new-to-hunt cache onto (save a tree).

Once logged, I see no reason to hold onto the page for that particular cache. The online maps shows that you found it, if you look at the cache online, in the near upper right corner, it tells you what date you found it. A DNF log, does not show up with a smiley because you, well... did not find it.

If you don't already use one, a clipboard comes in awfully handy. Do get a good one with a STRONG spring clasp. Does wonders for managing paper.

Hope it helps, at least a little.

Good luck!

I started with a Magellan SporTrak Color, which eventually died from previous abuses. I then bought a Garmin 60CSx which I still have. Neither unit did paperless. I had a notebook which I used to compile cache pages, printed from GSAK, complete with any notes I had. As I would find a cache, I would make an "X" on the paper. I would also jot down notes such as trackable numbers, unique experiences, etc, as an aid for when I logged them later. When I found all the caches on a particular page, it would get moved to the other side of a divider in the notebook.

Cumbersome, but effective.

Later, I learned to tweak GSAK so it loaded caches into my Garmin with enough details that I could hunt most caches, specifically cache name, cache type, (traditional, multi, etc), cache size, D/T rating, and up to 18 (I think) characters from the hint. Any trackable data I needed got entered to the note field of the waypoint in my Garmin. I swapped out my big notebook for a pocket spiral type that I used for any other notes.

A bit less cumbersome.

Later, I bought a PDA which worked quite well. The requirements for loading GSAK stuff are very small, which means a $20 used unit off Ebay will likely fit your needs. Preparing for a day's caching became as easy as loading my PQ into GSAK, then loading the GSAK file into my Garmin and PDA and hitting the road. The GPS would get me there, and the PDA would give me the cache page.

This worked very well, though my PDA was not suitable for the swamps I like to play in.

I finally bought a paperless unit and I've been praising it ever since.

Good luck!

I started with a Magellan SporTrak Color, which eventually died from previous abuses. I then bought a Garmin 60CSx which I still have. Neither unit did paperless. I had a notebook which I used to compile cache pages, printed from GSAK, complete with any notes I had. As I would find a cache, I would make an "X" on the paper. I would also jot down notes such as trackable numbers, unique experiences, etc, as an aid for when I logged them later. When I found all the caches on a particular page, it would get moved to the other side of a divider in the notebook.

Cumbersome, but effective.

Later, I learned to tweak GSAK so it loaded caches into my Garmin with enough details that I could hunt most caches, specifically cache name, cache type, (traditional, multi, etc), cache size, D/T rating, and up to 18 (I think) characters from the hint. Any trackable data I needed got entered to the note field of the waypoint in my Garmin. I swapped out my big notebook for a pocket spiral type that I used for any other notes.

A bit less cumbersome.

Later, I bought a PDA which worked quite well. The requirements for loading GSAK stuff are very small, which means a $20 used unit off Ebay will likely fit your needs. Preparing for a day's caching became as easy as loading my PQ into GSAK, then loading the GSAK file into my Garmin and PDA and hitting the road. The GPS would get me there, and the PDA would give me the cache page.

This worked very well, though my PDA was not suitable for the swamps I like to play in.

I finally bought a paperless unit and I've been praising it ever since.

Good luck!

I have an ipod touch 2nd generation and a Palm Pilot Z22. I don't believe either are up-to-date enough to be much use in geocaching. I haven't used my palm for a long time and my touch is used in rare spurts. One more reason I'm afraid in investing in a better gps. Calculating the cost vs. the use. I also don't have wireless at home (still living in a cave), so it makes downloading to the touch more difficult.

1. Why are you quoting everyone's posts, and then not saying anything, but then posting a separate reply? :blink:

2. You're Z22 is way more than adequate for caching, I still use my m130 from time-to-time. The main issue will likely be does the battery hold up long enough, and do you have a way to recharge it in the field.

My iTouch is a 2nd gen. If its not up to date with at least iOS 3 then spend the $10 for it. Then drop the $10 on the official Geocaching app and you can have all your cache info on the iTouch. You will be able to run a PQ then upload that PQ directly to the iTouch. Giving you the full description, hints, and recent logs. Just run the PQ the night before you head out to cache. On your way out stop at a Starbucks or McDonalds and upload the PQ from there. You should be able to find a Wifi access point for about $50.

If you go the rout to use the z22 it will require some more steps but a wireless network isn't needed.

Regarding quoting the emails, I have no idea what I did wrong, other than maybe "add reply" rather than just post on the "fast reply" at the bottom of the page. I'm trying that for this one. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks for the information on the ipod touch and Z22. I'll try seeing what I can do.