Multi-cache GPS Recommendation

I started caching on an Iphone, then HTC Evo, but wanted to switch it up to a device that allows me to enter coords & has decent battery life. Received the Explorist GS as a gift but I'm unsure if it's right for me. I have two batteries for the Evo so I can cache any time, BUT can't find puzzle caches because I can't find an easy way to navigaate to manually entered coords.

Should I trade the Explorist GS in for a device paperless device that's better for this? If so, which one?

I am using an older (a couple of years old, which makes it a dinosaur in electronics years lol) Garmin e-trex legend hcx. Love it, save for the fact that when doing projections, the only unit of distance it will take is miles, even if I have the device set to read in metric. This wouldn't be a problem, except that in Canada, my fellow geocachers prefer to measure distance in meters. I carry a calculator in my bag to compensate.

Overall, I love the garmin GPSrs

I am using an older (a couple of years old, which makes it a dinosaur in electronics years lol) Garmin e-trex legend hcx. Love it, save for the fact that when doing projections, the only unit of distance it will take is miles, even if I have the device set to read in metric. This wouldn't be a problem, except that in Canada, my fellow geocachers prefer to measure distance in meters. I carry a calculator in my bag to compensate.

Overall, I love the garmin GPSrs

On my etrex legend hcx I can change the units when doing a projection. Move the "cursor" to where it says "mi" and press down on the rocker switch. There is a choice of miles, feet, yards, kilometers, meters, or "nm". (I'm not sure if nm is nanometer or nautical mile!).

I don't think you can change the default - but at least you can change it each time.

Received the Explorist GS as a gift but I'm unsure if it's right for me. I have two batteries for the Evo so I can cache any time, BUT can't find puzzle caches because I can't find an easy way to navigaate to manually entered coords.

While I prefer Garmin myself, since you already have an Explorist (I'm guessing Explorist GC, as there is no Explorist GS), I'd suggest giving it a little more of a chance before spending more money on a new GPS. A quick search of the forum indicates that you can indeed manually enter coordinates on that GPS forum link I know some people who have it and they say it's pretty good. It can't do everything an Oregon can do, but it is much cheaper. For the same price, I'm not sure you can get any other GPS that allows for paperless caching...

I started caching on an Iphone, then HTC Evo, but wanted to switch it up to a device that allows me to enter coords & has decent battery life. Received the Explorist GS as a gift but I'm unsure if it's right for me. I have two batteries for the Evo so I can cache any time, BUT can't find puzzle caches because I can't find an easy way to navigaate to manually entered coords.

Should I trade the Explorist GS in for a device paperless device that's better for this? If so, which one?

The free c:geo app has a button marked "Any destination" which allows you to enter coordinates manually and navigate to them. And using it that way doesn't violate the TOS, since it's not using the website. It works great on the Evo, too.

The free c:geo app has a button marked "Any destination" which allows you to enter coordinates manually and navigate to them. And using it that way doesn't violate the TOS, since it's not using the website. It works great on the Evo, too.

However, when caching with the andoid (as I have one too, and have used that app) it`s a mega battery drain. I like to chache all day and still make phone calls. I really only use the phone for caching when I have a couple minutes to kill and wasn`t planning on caching.

The EVO will allow you to enter the coordinates with an app. I personally use c:geo and the Android app for it. Beauty of the EVO you can access the internet to get answers to some of the puzzles plus do geochecker if available on the cache. :ph34r:

From Magellan's website:

eXplorist GC is built for a premium geocaching experience. Whether you're a seasoned geocacher with more than a thousand finds or a newbie that's interested in getting in on the action, eXplorist GC provides all the tricks of the trade.

Probably most important, eXplorist GC supports paperless geocaching, which allows you to download more than 20 unique characteristics of each cache, including name, location, description, hider, size, difficulty, terrain, hint, spoilers, attributes, and last 20 user logs among a number of other details.

eXplorist GC comes with the most popular geocaches pre-loaded to provide a unique out of box experience. You can literally "turn it on and go!"

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXploristseries/eXplorist-GC

Have you been using the owner's manual?

Which model is your eXplorist?

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=24&pcid=18&nav=0,18

All handheld gps models allow you to manually enter coordinates, or they would be useless. It's just a matter of learning how to do it with yours.

Edited by Pup Patrol