send to GPS?

I have a Garmin etrex venture that I have been using for about a year. I am admittedly a bit technology challenged but I haven't had this problem before. I am planning a trip next weekend about 200 miles from home and I can't load any caches on to the GPSR that are more than say 120 miles away from home. It will load all day long caches that are around here though. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by bigdumbfun

Maybe I'm not explaining right. When you open up a cache page and the button near the top/center of the page that says "Send to My GPS"...I can't get the GPS to take coordinates from my computer on anything over a certain distance from my home. This seems to be at about 120 miles away. It will take them on caches nearer than that though.

Maybe I'm not explaining right. When you open up a cache page and the button near the top/center of the page that says "Send to My GPS"...I can't get the GPS to take coordinates from my computer on anything over a certain distance from my home. This seems to be at about 120 miles away. It will take them on caches nearer than that though.

I think your not understanding it right. Did you try Find->Waypoints->Menu->Find by Name? Do the caches show up now?

Edited by jholly

I think your not understanding it right. Did you try Find->Waypoints->Menu->Find by Name? Do the caches show up now?

Sorry I can't make this less confusing. I live in Belfair (roughly Seattle area) and I can load caches south along the way to Portland. The farthest cache that I can get to load is exactly 110.3 miles away from my home coordinates. Everything closer shows up without issue. Anything farther does not load onto the GPS. The website says "Geocache XXX00X.gpx saved successfully" (no error message on computer or GPS) but it doesn't show up on the GPS. I've found over 500 caches, I'm not a total rookie, but my farthest cache away from home has been 113 miles away and I've never run into this before. I am sure it's something dumb but I can't figure it out.

Sorry I can't make this less confusing. I live in Belfair (roughly Seattle area) and I can load caches south along the way to Portland. The farthest cache that I can get to load is exactly 110.3 miles away from my home coordinates. Everything closer shows up without issue. Anything farther does not load onto the GPS. The website says "Geocache XXX00X.gpx saved successfully" (no error message on computer or GPS) but it doesn't show up on the GPS. I've found over 500 caches, I'm not a total rookie, but my farthest cache away from home has been 113 miles away and I've never run into this before. I am sure it's something dumb but I can't figure it out.

You have not stated that there is an error message so I assume that there is none.

What you describe is *EXACTLY* what I would expect if your GPS display mode is set to display nearest. I guess the post by coggins and Red90 just went over your head. I guess my post explaining how to switch modes to display by name went over your head. So at this point all I can suggest is for some reason your GPS seems to be broken, perhaps if you buy a new one or send this one back to Garmin you can get it "repaired". Or you can just load the caches, go on your trip and discover the caches you could not see now will just magically appear on the display.

Until you grok that the Garmins have *TWO* display mode, closest and name, your going to remain confused and unable to explain your problem or find a solution to your problem.

JHolly, Thanks for the smack upside the head. You were absolutley right. I re-read your previous post and followed the directions verbatim...and what do you know? There are the ones that I couldn't find. I knew it would be something dumb (note the screen name). I hope others got some entertainment out of the whole ordeal. Thanks again.

To add.... The default is "search by nearest". This only shows up to 50 waypoints within 100 miles of the current location.

I think the limit is 50 miles from where you are now...

Even less chance of them showing if searching by 'Find Nearest'

No, its 100 miles or 50 waypoints, whichever is less.

JHolly, Thanks for the smack upside the head. You were absolutley right. I re-read your previous post and followed the directions verbatim...and what do you know? There are the ones that I couldn't find. I knew it would be something dumb (note the screen name). I hope others got some entertainment out of the whole ordeal. Thanks again.

Glad you got it working. Sometimes a 2x4 is an effective tool to explain something :)