Idea for a new type of cache

Hartpack2

I had an idea that I thought I’d share to see if it has any merit. I envisioned something that looks similar to a travel bug, but in the form of a small decal or sticker that is placed in a permanent location. It would have a unique code that you use to log it, and could be easily placed in high traffic or highly public areas where the code can be recorded without raising any suspicion. It would log like you found a geocache, but the only physical feature of it is the sticker. In theory it would be like the virtual caches where you had to provide some proof that you were actually there. In this case it would simply be the unique code. These could be placed on the back of information signs in parks, or in buildings like museums or stadiums. Instead of being a travel bug, it would be more of a “Fly on the Wall”, and could be designed to be very inconspicuous. Personally, I think this would open up a whole new type of environment to hide caches where some type of container would be impractical. I just thought I'd toss this idea out there, and see what people think.

I had an idea that I thought Id share to see if it has any merit. I envisioned something that looks similar to a travel bug, but in the form of a small decal or sticker that is placed in a permanent location. It would have a unique code that you use to log it, and could be easily placed in high traffic or highly public areas where the code can be recorded without raising any suspicion. It would log like you found a geocache, but the only physical feature of it is the sticker. In theory it would be like the virtual caches where you had to provide some proof that you were actually there. In this case it would simply be the unique code. These could be placed on the back of information signs in parks, or in buildings like museums or stadiums. Instead of being a travel bug, it would be more of a Fly on the Wall, and could be designed to be very inconspicuous. Personally, I think this would open up a whole new type of environment to hide caches where some type of container would be impractical. I just thought I'd toss this idea out there, and see what people think.

I like the idea in theory. I love virtuals afterall.

I basically like anything that takes me to a neat location, and care little about toys and stuff...

That said, you can do a Q&A multi to put a container away from a sensitive area and still take people to it, and it seems easier to just bring back virtuals than to invent a new type of cache that does something similar and still requires something be left in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of just going somewhere and "discovering" a sticker, but I don't think it has a clear niche in the current/past mix of caches. Expecially with all the whining we'd get about how much more creative an ammo can under rocks would be than these little tags...

Edited by d+n.s

So you want a stationary TB that counts as a Geocache. That's a pretty good idea but it could be taken one step further. How about a specially marked QR Code. This could be a type of cache that isn't publicly posted. The only way you can log the find is to snap a picture of the QR code. When decoded the code provides the direct link to the cache page so you can log it. Or it could be made a part of any other cache type but can only be logged using the QR Code.

Come to think of it this should be an option for COs to add to there caches to prevent ghost logging.

So you want a stationary TB that counts as a Geocache. That's a pretty good idea but it could be taken one step further. How about a specially marked QR Code. This could be a type of cache that isn't publicly posted. The only way you can log the find is to snap a picture of the QR code. When decoded the code provides the direct link to the cache page so you can log it. Or it could be made a part of any other cache type but can only be logged using the QR Code.

Come to think of it this should be an option for COs to add to there caches to prevent ghost logging.

I had thought about the QR code idea also, but not everyone uses a smartphone to geocache, and I'm not sure how easy that would be to program. It could absolutely be added as an option if anyone knows how to work out the details, but I would want a standard code for normal people also.

Any camera can take the pic and there are allot of free QR code readers out there for PC and MAC. Don't know of many cell phones that don't have a camera. Sure not all can easily transfer pics to the PC. So it limits the cache much like a cache that uses a Gamrin Chirp or some other specialized equipment.

I doubt that most parks/cities or building owners would be very thrilled to have stickers attached to their property.

Agreed.

The OP wants it to be "inconspicuous", but you can bet that it cannot be enough so without the owner/manager noticing it -- even if just through the maintenance man.

No, I see something as this akin to sneaking around the "permission" requirement. Maybe it wouldn't start that way, but it would certainly get there in a hurry!