Abandoned Caches?

*** Please note I did do a search of the topic and found nothing specifically related, so forgive me if this has been covered under a different title. Please feel free to redirect me if it has been covered***

There is a number of caches around me from one cacher who seems to have checked out. His caches have all fallen into the "Needs Maintenance" realm and I checked his stats page and he hasn't found a cache in almost 600 days and found 3 since 2008.

So what is the protocol to letting geocache.com know that these need to be archived? Do they automatically know once someone files a "Needs Maintenance" on them?

TIA

Edited by krejaton

We went and fixed up a cache that hadn't been maintained for over 6 months and the owner hadn't logged a find for over 3 years. We went about it wrong. I have found out since that we could log the cache as needs archived and then after a long while if the owner hasn't taken care of it, it will then be archived for someone else to take over the area. Now that it has been found a couple of times, I am not sure if the local person will consider it as needs archived. The owner has not replied to the two messages we have sent him either.

Oh well... I don't even know how to contact the local person. Does anyone know how?

Susanne

Edited by webberpalmer & crew

We went and fixed up a cache that hadn't been maintained for over 6 months and the owner hadn't logged a find for over 3 years. We went about it wrong. I have found out since that we could log the cache as needs archived and then after a long while if the owner hasn't taken care of it, it will then be archived for someone else to take over the area. Now that it has been found a couple of times, I am not sure if the local person will consider it as needs archived. The owner has not replied to the two messages we have sent him either.

Oh well... I don't even know how to contact the local person. Does anyone know how?

Susanne

How very nice of you to take care of another person's cache - but, as you have discovered, that is not always the best option as caches need a real owner. As the cache is now in good shape, just let it go and if it becomes in a state of disrepair again - you know better what to do. Sending an email to the owner specifically asking to adopt is about the only other option.