Magellan 310 getting started...

Hi all.

New to geoaching and new to this site!

I just bought the Explorist 310 after readiny many reviews of this unit. I want to use this exclusively for Geocaching as this is a new hobby to me.

I use a Macintosh and I have the necessary Magellan pluggin.

First of all, my 310 came with many geocaches stored on the unit. Most, if not all, are very far away, and I don't want them on the unit. How do I get rid of them?

Second I have the membership at here at geocaching.com and tried to download many caches that were in my area, to my unit. It didn't seem to work.

At the bare basics, do I only need my Mac, my 310, and the magellanpluggin to transfer the caches from the geocaching site to my 310? Or do I need a mac equivalent of Vantage Point. I have MacCaching downloaded on my computer. Is that even necessary to get the geocaches onto my unit... or just the plugin????

Would anyone be so kind as to explain the steps to me? I can't seem to get them on my unit. I don't see how to transfer them to the gps.

PLease help.

I thought it would be easy like the geocaching app I have for my iphone 4. I downloaded a free geoaching app to my iphone 4. It automatically listed three geocach sites near me. I found one of them and was super excited. that is why I bought the Magellan... to continue this hobby.

Thanks for any help.

\

When you connect your GPS to your computer you should be able to read what is on the devise just as if it was a thumb drive.

Run a PQ, unzip, and drag the files into the same folder as the exsisting caches. Its as easy as that. That model will recognize multiple files automatically so you can leave the file that is there when you load your first PQ.

I have the eXplorist GC. They (the preloaded caches) are in an exclusive folder on the computer when you plug your gps in. Click on your gps location on the computer and Just delete that folder and all of them will go away. I have a windows but I think the mac works in a similar way to this. I hope this is helpfull!

I wish it was as easy as the iPhone but takes a few extra steps. I use MacCaching on my Mac and it works great to transfer caches to and from my GPS. Go through the setup so MacCaching knows you are using the Magellan. Once completed it should be as simple as creating a PQ on the Geocaching site and dropping it into MacCaching. Once you do this all you should have to do is select the PQ and click Semd to GPS.

BTW... I just clicked the ones I wanted from the list and downloaded them directly to the gps. The Magellan pluggin allows this. They then appear on my GPS.

I did have to click each one seperatley though. It would be nice to figure out how to batch a bunch of them and send them to my gps in one fell swoop. I know there is probably a way... but I am a noob afterall.

BTW... I just clicked the ones I wanted from the list and downloaded them directly to the gps. The Magellan pluggin allows this. They then appear on my GPS.

I did have to click each one seperatley though. It would be nice to figure out how to batch a bunch of them and send them to my gps in one fell swoop. I know there is probably a way... but I am a noob afterall.

If you run a pocket query you can select caches by any set of criteria you want such as distance, cache size, difficulty, etc...