New to geocaching and need help with GPS device

chlombra

I know this topic has been discussed numerous times. Once more can't hurt. I've just recently started geocaching with a friend. We have been using his Iphone. I purchased a Lowrance Out and Back GPS. I purchased it without doing any research and I am paying for it now. I have absolutely no idea how to use the thing, so that goes to show how technologically impaired I am. I'm sending it back and am now doing a ton of research on them, so much so that I am as confused as ever as to what to purchase. Any suggestions to help a beginner would be greatly appreciated. Also, Do you have to purchase maps seperately? thank you.

I have an Endura Out & Back and a Garmin Oregon and Dakota (its a disease). The Garmin's have more features, more access to maps (free and paid), better battery life and are far easier to use.

Be sure to jump into the forums and ask GPS use questions - somebody here will help you out.

I am new also, I bought a magellan explorist gc 129.99 at bestbuy (they priced matched) and love it so far.

I also found a killer deal on a garmin etrex h closeout at bestbuy for 25.00 (they only had 1)

It works nice, but I like the features on the explorist

Thank you for the help. Last night online I bought a Garmin Oregon 550. Hopefully, I will be able to figure this one out.

Hi - I,m new to this and though i found my 1st cache my device was out about 100 feet - i'm not sure if the settings are correct - it's a Garmin etrex - the north ref options are true/magnetic/grid - on each of them standing at the cache the device still puts it about 100 feet away (after factoring in the devices own accuracy limits)- on true north the machine has a 007 degree west variation which seems to be built in? - the map datum (wgs84) and position format are correctly set - thanks for your help