Sending multiple GPX files to GPS at one time?

Thanks to some great information and recommendations in these forums, I purchased the Garmin 60CSx from REI, it arrived today, haven't gone caching with it yet but so far so good, I think I might actually like it. Which is surprising considering the fact that I've been more than happy with the Groundspeak app on my iPhone 3GS. It's really about battery life, which was already terrible on the iPhone before I started caching. Plus all of the diehards telling me that my iPhone is not a GPS :) Now I'm going to use both in my own field tests and make my own determination, hopefully the Garmin won't wind up being an expensive, unused toy (I doubt it).

Pretty simple to set up, but unless I'm missing something, I see one major drawback which I kind of knew about but might have confirmed this evening. That is, in order to send GPX files to the Garmin (I'm a Premium Member now, I can do that :)), I have to manually select each cache individually, send the file to the GPS, and repeat. This took me a WHILE this evening, loading up all of the caches in the surrounding areas that I MIGHT want to check out. Think about the iPhone, and yes, I know, everyone warned me that the Geocaching app does what GPSr does not, but it's nice to NOT think about where I'm going any given day, wind up there, open the app, and see all of the caches in the area. Evidently, my Garmin playing with the Geocaching.com site won't do that. There is an option to check all caches in the area (like 22K) and download a LOC file, but I'm not sure that my GPS speaks LOC, let alone how to get IT on the GPS.

Am I missing something here or do I have it right? I have to individually, manually send GPX files to my GPS for any caches that I MIGHT think I MIGHT want to check out, in advance, rather than sending a whole bunch of GPX files at one shot to the GPS?

If that is the case, then I foresee issues, although, again, I will probably have both devices with me, and I could always manually put in coordinates in the field from the iPhone app into the GPS for caches that I MIGHT want to check out.

Anybody in the know, please confirm. Thanks, and thanks again to all who helped me hone in on the right GPS for me.

UPDATE - Pocket Queries :) Sorry, I should have known. You can delete or archive this post, sorry.

Edited by BabaBooyah

Yep, PQs are your answer for getting a large number of caches into a single file. The 60CSx (unlike the newer paperless units) can't take the GPX file directly though -- you'll want software like Mapsource or GSAK to load the file into and then send it to the GPSr from there.

(I could be wrong, I've been using GSAK for so long I don't remember if there is a way of doing it directly anymore!) :laughing:

Look into pocket queries, you can get one 1000 caches per gpx file.

As a premium member you can use Pocket Queries . . .

The OP has figured out how to generate pocket queries . . . he/she has referenced .gpx files.

The problem is, as you've properly figured out, is that the 60CSX does not support .gpx files directly. If you had an Oregon 450 series, or a 62 series, you could simply copy the .gpx to the unit and you'd be good to go, including being able to read the paperless cache pages and hints on the unit.

You're correct in that the caches have to be sent individually instead of encased in the .gpx, but you can still batch that operation so that it's just one step to you. I'd suggest using EasyGPS. It's freeware. All you need to do is open the .gpx in EasyGPS. Highlight all of the caches in the left pane and then send them to the GPS in one operation.

The OP has figured out how to generate pocket queries . . . he/she has referenced .gpx files.

Pocket queries are not the only way to obtain .gpx files, and the OP claimed to have been loading individual cache gpx files, hence the comments regarding PQ's. The OP has since added an edit to his post claiming that PQ's were what he was missing.

All, sorry for not checking back until now, these are great, helpful replies, thank you, all. Without even seeing these posts, I downloaded GSAK, which I like but not sure about paying for, as well as Garmin's BaseCamp, which is free and works too, but not as nice. It did not take me long to figure out that there is a middle step in getting GPX files over to the 60CSx, and that a tool was needed to do it. I'm still getting the hang of PQs but having fun.

All, sorry for not checking back until now, these are great, helpful replies, thank you, all. Without even seeing these posts, I downloaded GSAK, which I like but not sure about paying for, as well as Garmin's BaseCamp, which is free and works too, but not as nice. It did not take me long to figure out that there is a middle step in getting GPX files over to the 60CSx, and that a tool was needed to do it. I'm still getting the hang of PQs but having fun.

You will like GSAK enough to pay for it. You will find lots of things you can do with GSAK and macros. I do paperless by loading my NUVI with databases from GSAK and it is pretty much like carrying a connected laptop with you (hints and all). Then I add those same caches to my handheld Vista HCX, limited to 1500 caches. Clyde needs the guilt too.. LOL.. It is a one time expense and IMHO well worth the bucks.