New to this, Question on equipment

Dawghorn Leghorn

My daughter and I have recently decided to give this a shot. We have no experience at it so I've been reading about how to get started. One problem is that I have no idea what GPS to buy. I've read about them a lot but have no hands-on use with them so I am looking for some advice from users with real-world experience.

I am decent with technology but no whiz so I want a GPS that makes it as simple as possible, especially connecting to the computer. What is relatively simple to get up and running without too much specialized knowledge? I'm not too concerned about price but no need to spend more than necessary. I don't mind buying used. I do a good bit of camping, mtn. biking and outdoors activities so I may use it for that some too.

I'm looking for specific recommendations for a beginner that is semi competent with at best that's fairly versatile.

Thanks for any advice

Dawghorn Leghorn

First realize that any GPSr that you buy is going to require some time, patience, and practice to learn how to use it, and trust it with confidence. You will need to read the manual and ask questions. Buying the GPS does not bestow knowledge upon you automatically.

I am partial to the Garmin, I like the Oregon 450 and the GPSmap 62s. It is easy for us to tell you what to go buy, but only you can decide if the unit is right for you.

So I would start by asking myself what am I going to do with the GPS?

Hiking

Biking

Geocaching

Boating

Need to get around in a new city like on vacation

What features do I want or need?

Maps

memory

batteries

electronic compass

altimeter

Gates verses Jobs (PC v Mac)

Color Display

Touch Display

Water resistant

Floats

Weight, size

Cost

Accessories

Maps

Next would be the question of maps. Do I want maps on my GPS, or do I want to carry paper maps around with me. Some of the basic handhelds only tell you where you are at, or have basic road maps on them. Some of the maps are street level maps that are routable (can give you turn by turn directions, and the software contains points of interest (hotels, gas stations, store, entertainment). You can have topographical maps (these come as 100k and 24k), and you can even have satellite maps or Birdseye views on your GPS.

With most Garmin GPSs you will need to buy or obtain maps to put on your unit. I think the Delorme and Magellan's come with maps on them.

What areas of the world will I need maps of?

You mention you want to do geocaching, biking and hiking. I would want a GPS that has both street level maps and topo maps.

By the way free maps can be found at: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ I know this works for the Garmin but I do not know if works for the others.

Paperless Geocaching

When it comes to geocaching I would consider a unit that does "paperless geocaching". this way you can download the information from the web site to the GPS and have it hand. Without this feature most people print off the information, and take it with them. I find that they quickly find other methods of carrying the information PDA's , internet enabled phones, buying a GPS the will do paperless geocaching. I feel this is a must have.

Power

Consider how the unit is powered, and by this I mean what kind of battery will the unit need. Most use AA's and it can be alkaline, rechargable NiMH, or Li. There is a least one unit out there that has a proprietary battery and it is expensive. I would stay away from units that have built in batteries, you will run out of power when you want or need it the most. Also, can it plug it into 12v system in my car while traveling.

Memory

Does the unit have enough internal memory or the ability to add a SD card to hold all of my maps. I have a 4 GB SD card in mine. You can put any computer file on this card, so I have all of my manuals for my GPS, camera, radios (I am a amateur radio operator). I also keep my trip information on it. This way I can borrow a computer and plug the GPS into it and have access to these files without carrying a thumb drive.

Accessories

I would start with a good screen protector. I buy mine from Zagg.com.

Some way to carry the GPS.

I know that this is a lot of information. Go do some research. Go to the online sites for the manufactures, sellers (Thegpsstore.com, http://www.factoryoutletstore.com/). Go to an REI close to you or another sports store. Ask questions, play with the units.

As I said at the start I like Garmin I use the Oregon 450, but I would like a GPSmap 62s.

I would buy a unit that seems more advanced than I think I need, since I see most people figure it out quickly, and then understand why they need/want the higher end units. It is an added expense and trouble to buy my maps separate and put them on my unit but I also have greater control and ability to customize it to my needs, wants and desires.

If you live anywhere near Denver, Colorado I would be more than happy to meet up with you, take you shopping, or let you play with my GPS. And if you don't live close send me an Email (click on my screen name to go to my profile) we can exchange phone number or Emails. I am by no means an expert, but I do know a far amount on this subject.

Jay, W0GBS

GOT BearSoup

Edited by GOT BearSoup

I'd say one of the Garmin Oregons or Dakotas should be right for you from what you tell us. They are fairly easy to use and versatile. Good for geocaching, hiking, mtn biking and general outdoor use.

Agreed.

Easy to use and flexible enough to grow with your needs. Not too expensive either.

Thanks for the well thought out response. I'll be using it for geocaching and biking mostly and a couple other applications on occasion. The maps would definately be a plus.

I have no problem reading the manual and will become proficient at using it outside. But I have an older magellan that I cannot get to communicate with my computer for anything. The batteries on it will only last about an hour or 2 and is basically useless. I hate macs. Electronic compass would be nice as would AA NiMH battery usage. Altimeter would be nice for skiing but I don't care about touchscreen. Water resistant would be useful but it doesn't need to float. The paperless geocaching is a given based on what I have read.

I'm located a long way from you but I will message you on here.

Dawghorn Leghorn

First realize that any GPSr that you buy is going to require some time, patience, and practice to learn how to use it, and trust it with confidence. You will need to read the manual and ask questions. Buying the GPS does not bestow knowledge upon you automatically.

I am partial to the Garmin, I like the Oregon 450 and the GPSmap 62s. It is easy for us to tell you what to go buy, but only you can decide if the unit is right for you.

So I would start by asking myself what am I going to do with the GPS?

• Hiking

• Biking

• Geocaching

• Boating

• Need to get around in a new city like on vacation

What features do I want or need?

• Maps

• memory

• batteries

• electronic compass

• altimeter

• Gates verses Jobs (PC v Mac)

• Color Display

• Touch Display

• Water resistant

• Floats

• Weight, size

• Cost

• Accessories

Maps

Next would be the question of maps. Do I want maps on my GPS, or do I want to carry paper maps around with me. Some of the basic handhelds only tell you where you are at, or have basic road maps on them. Some of the maps are street level maps that are routable (can give you turn by turn directions, and the software contains points of interest (hotels, gas stations, store, entertainment). You can have topographical maps (these come as 100k and 24k), and you can even have satellite maps or Birdseye views on your GPS.

With most Garmin GPSs you will need to buy or obtain maps to put on your unit. I think the Delorme and Magellan's come with maps on them.

What areas of the world will I need maps of?

You mention you want to do geocaching, biking and hiking. I would want a GPS that has both street level maps and topo maps.

By the way free maps can be found at: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ I know this works for the Garmin but I do not know if works for the others.

Paperless Geocaching

When it comes to geocaching I would consider a unit that does "paperless geocaching". this way you can download the information from the web site to the GPS and have it hand. Without this feature most people print off the information, and take it with them. I find that they quickly find other methods of carrying the information PDA's , internet enabled phones, buying a GPS the will do paperless geocaching. I feel this is a must have.

Power

Consider how the unit is powered, and by this I mean what kind of battery will the unit need. Most use AA's and it can be alkaline, rechargable NiMH, or Li. There is a least one unit out there that has a proprietary battery and it is expensive. I would stay away from units that have built in batteries, you will run out of power when you want or need it the most. Also, can it plug it into 12v system in my car while traveling.

Memory

Does the unit have enough internal memory or the ability to add a SD card to hold all of my maps. I have a 4 GB SD card in mine. You can put any computer file on this card, so I have all of my manuals for my GPS, camera, radios (I am a amateur radio operator). I also keep my trip information on it. This way I can borrow a computer and plug the GPS into it and have access to these files without carrying a thumb drive.

Accessories

I would start with a good screen protector. I buy mine from Zagg.com.

Some way to carry the GPS.

I know that this is a lot of information. Go do some research. Go to the online sites for the manufactures, sellers (Thegpsstore.com, http://www.factoryoutletstore.com/). Go to an REI close to you or another sports store. Ask questions, play with the units.

As I said at the start I like Garmin I use the Oregon 450, but I would like a GPSmap 62s.

I would buy a unit that seems more advanced than I think I need, since I see most people figure it out quickly, and then understand why they need/want the higher end units. It is an added expense and trouble to buy my maps separate and put them on my unit but I also have greater control and ability to customize it to my needs, wants and desires.

If you live anywhere near Denver, Colorado I would be more than happy to meet up with you, take you shopping, or let you play with my GPS. And if you don't live close send me an Email (click on my screen name to go to my profile) we can exchange phone number or Emails. I am by no means an expert, but I do know a far amount on this subject.

Jay, W0GBS

GOT BearSoup

Check out the Delorme PN-40 and PN-60 also. I have the PN-40, and am happy with it. Their free downloadable Cache Register program makes downloading PQ's super easy. Road and topo maps are included, and the road maps are routable. The PN-40 is a bit of a battery hog, but the lithium AA's work well, and they sell a battery pack that can be charged in the unit. Delorme has their own forums here if you have any specific questions. They have some limitations--I'm not sure if they have detailed maps outside of North America, and I'm not sure how well they work with macs--but it's a good GPSr and worth considering.

Check out the Delorme PN-40 and PN-60 also. I have the PN-40, and am happy with it. Their free downloadable Cache Register program makes downloading PQ's super easy. Road and topo maps are included, and the road maps are routable. The PN-40 is a bit of a battery hog, but the lithium AA's work well, and they sell a battery pack that can be charged in the unit. Delorme has their own forums here if you have any specific questions. They have some limitations--I'm not sure if they have detailed maps outside of North America, and I'm not sure how well they work with macs--but it's a good GPSr and worth considering.

+1 on the 40 and cache register. With cr it is so simple to load and manage PQS. Also CR will up load all your field notes to GC.

Good luck to you and have fun.

Safe caching,

Clint

Edited by Clint Cachewood

Thanks for the suggestion. I have researched the PN40/PN60. I was reading various reviews of the unit and a recurring theme was that their computer software was not the most user friendly available. I'm not worried about the using the GPS in the field, I can read the manual and follow what it says to do. What I don't want to get into is a confusing computer interface and connectivity. The reviews I read led me to believe that this was a weak point of the unit. i don't care if it's mac compatible and I won't use it outside North America but the reviews kinda scared me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have researched the PN40/PN60. I was reading various reviews of the unit and a recurring theme was that their computer software was not the most user friendly available. I'm not worried about the using the GPS in the field, I can read the manual and follow what it says to do. What I don't want to get into is a confusing computer interface and connectivity. The reviews I read led me to believe that this was a weak point of the unit. i don't care if it's mac compatible and I won't use it outside North America but the reviews kinda scared me.

The computer software that they are talking about is the mapping software, called Topo, which I never actually use. If you want to save tracks from your GPSr to your computer, or pre-plan a route by creating it on your computer first, and then loading it on your GPSr, you can do this with the Topo software. I think you can also maybe cut custom sections of maps to load to the GPSr? I'm not sure what all it does, like I said, I never use it. It's completely unnecessary if all you want to do is load caches to the GPSr, go caching, and then come back and upload your finds. All the detailed topo and road maps (beyond the base map that is pre-installed) come with the PN-40 on discs that you can load onto to the GPSr by sections. You don't need to use the Topo program to do this. When I first bought the PN-40 a couple of years ago, it was necessary to connect the GPSr to the computer and use the Topo program to load the PQ's. Since they created the Cache Register program, though, you can load the PQ's using that, easy peasy! You can also connect the PN-40 and view it like it's an external disk, and just load the gpx file that way. And you can also load individual caches with the "send to GPS" function directly from the cache page. I'm not sure what mapping software comes with Garmin or Magellan units. I don't know what your options are with those if you want to save and upload tracks to your computer. But if you don't really care about that, the difficult Topo program won't really affect you.

The user interface isn't too bad on the PN40/60. It's not the best and not the worst and if you have a tiny bit of technical ability you should have no problems mastering it. But if you want ease of use out of the box nothing comes close to the Garmin touch screen units (Dakota and Oregon).

Most of the criticism of the DeLorme units is focused on the clunky Topo software it comes with. This software is used for transferring tracks, waypoints and adding the custom maps like 24K topo, satellite photos and marine charts. Thankfully they introduced Cache Register which simplifies the transfer of geocaches to the unit, so if you aren't interested the other stuff you generally don't need to deal with Topo. Cache Register has some annoying limitations too, but if you want simplicity it's hard to beat for loading geocaches.

Edited by briansnat