DeLorme PN40

I just started using a Delorme PN40 and can not find the answer to my question in the book. When I went caching the last couple of times I logged the cache as found on the GPS. However I do not want to tranfer the finds from the GPS to the site as all it says is TFTC and I like to post more info than that and do not want to take the time to do the log on the GPS while I am out. Now the field notes are on the GPS and I don't know how to remove them. Help anyone? I individually deleted the logged caches but the field notes are still there.

I use the free Cache Register 2.0 widget to download my Pocket Queries to my PN-40.

http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=114

At the first usage it will offer to install firmware 2.8 and that is good for geocaching and saving the Pocket Queries as individual files on your SD card.

It will also upload field notes to gc.com and then offer to transfer me there.

At that time I fill out and register each find notation with more text than just TFTC, which is all I enter on my PN-40.

Check here for more info and help:

http://forum.delorme.com/index.php

Thanks for the quick reply and info. I will check into the forums at Delorme. My biggest problem is that most of the time I do not understand all the terminology that people use as I am all new to this. I probably am doing things the hard way on this GPS but since I don't understand most of the terms I hesitate to download a lot of things as I am afraid I will really mess things up.

I usually create route and use GASK and load caches onto GPS that way. I just started using the Logging Caches on the GPS used to just delete the cache and write down on a piece of paper the ones I found for logging later. Ventured out to the feature of logging the cache on GPS and now don't know how to get those field notes off without loading to computer. Since I have already logged those caches on the site was afraid they would log them again. I am reallly stupid when it comes to this computer stuff and afraid to experiment too much, LOL

Will check into the CacheRegister you mentioned and go from there I guess.

Thanks again for trying to teach this old dog some new tricks. LOL

Uploading the Field Notes doesn't automatically post them as logs. You still can go in individually and type up and post each log. I didn't use Field Notes at first because I thought it would work that way too.

If you connect your PN-40 to a PC, go into the menu (on the PN-40) from the Geocaches list and choose Upload Field Notes. This should make the PN-40 available as a drive you can get to from your PC. From there you can delete the FieldNotes.txt file.

I used to use Cache Register, but I stopped using it once I moved to the previous firmware version (2.7) that would allow me to directly copy GPX files to the PN-40. So I manually upload Field Notes and delete the file when I'm done. Sometimes I will rename the FieldNotes.txt file to something else if I typed in any notes that I want to save.

I certainly do appreciate all the help and advice. Once the site is back up I will try to upload the field notes and see what happens. I feel better now that someone else was unsure about this too,. LOL Don't feel so stupid now. Well, maybe I do, because I read about Cache Register, read the forums in Delorme and seem to be more confused than I was before. As you can tell, doesn't take much to confuse me when it comes to technology like this.

When I read about Cache Register is said when I uploaded it would wipe out the GPS waypoints and I have 500 caches in it. Would hate to see that happen.

I am still trying to figure out which maps I need on this GPS so it will route me to caches. Have tried to route and on most of them it says unable to route so I figure I don't have the right maps loaded. So you see, I am totally stupid about this stuff. I loaded the maps for my area but it seems to only be the main roads and when in the country as I am most of the time, it won't route me. So, when I get lost in the State Forest on all those dirt roads I use the Nuvi in the truck to get me out. LOL

Did not load the Topo Maps on it as I read they weren't that great. Others say thats all they use. Confusing, confusing, confusing. LOL

Will just keep reading and reading to figure out how to best use this GPS.

Thanks again for all the help.

Uploading the Field Notes doesn't automatically post them as logs. You still can go in individually and type up and post each log. I didn't use Field Notes at first because I thought it would work that way too.

If you connect your PN-40 to a PC, go into the menu (on the PN-40) from the Geocaches list and choose Upload Field Notes. This should make the PN-40 available as a drive you can get to from your PC. From there you can delete the FieldNotes.txt file.

I used to use Cache Register, but I stopped using it once I moved to the previous firmware version (2.7) that would allow me to directly copy GPX files to the PN-40. So I manually upload Field Notes and delete the file when I'm done. Sometimes I will rename the FieldNotes.txt file to something else if I typed in any notes that I want to save.

Ok I tried this and deleted the file that it created and bingo no more field notes on the GPS. Wow that was easy, Thanks

Ok I tried this and deleted the file that it created and bingo no more field notes on the GPS. Wow that was easy, Thanks

If you're already using and comfortable with GSAK, I would stick with that rather than bother with Cache Register. I've used GSAK, Cache Register, and Topo 9 sync to load caches and upload field notes. Of the three, I much prefer GSAK. I upload my field notes and then erase the .txt file the same way as deercreekth. As has been pointed out, uploading them to geocaching.com does not automatically log them, you still have to go into each one, edit the log and submit it.

A little different perspective....

We do use the fieldnotes on the PN-40 (through Cache Register) and like it that way. The real why is because of the G-- awful typing system (or letter adding system, if you prefer). It is bulky, cumbersome, slow, tedious and (nearly) a pain in the tailpipe.

Although we most always make a decent online log (perhaps a couple of TFTC so far, and you probably know why for that). We use the fieldnotes as a means of adding our "shorthand". From there, we edit it into a full log before submitting through the fieldnotes option on the geocaching website. It helps (us old f-f-f-f-fogies) to keep each and every cache in our memory for what, if any, trade there was; any traveler picked up or dropped off at that CORRECT cache; and even special info that may have slipped our mind after being baked in the 90° temps all day -- we prefer our >70° northwoods. :)

I really appreciate all the tips and suggestions I received on this subject. Now all I have to do is figure out exactly the best option for me and my ablilites. I don't learn new tricks easily but I usually get the job done one way or another. LOL I am really shocked and pleasantly surprised how quickly I received answers to my questions from all of you. Thanks so much to all.