FTF found 20 days before publication?

I think the funny thing is I was the first person to find it and they got busted on the dishonest FTF. I'm sure she will brag about finding it first and the whole time it's bogus. LOL I'll take the high road, or try.

How is this bogus? You weren't the first to find the cache, she was. Nothing dishonest about the FTF, unless you're of the camp that believes a geocache isn't a geocache until it's listed on this site and even then it isn't dishonest.

I suppose. This is still an amusing story though. This whole FTF before publishing (without the ex-wife twist) has been going on for years. There were a couple of guys doing it on each others caches in my area in 2003. And once (although I don't care), I was on an extended out of town business trip, and should have been the first to find a new cache 200 miles from home, only to find the CO's pal was given the coords, signed the log and claimed FTF 5 or so days earlier. Even as a non-FTF side game participant, I find this rather sleazy, but absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I agree that it's sleazy or cheezy or any other word that ends in -ezy. I also find it amusing to think that cachers will pull stunts like sending each other coordinates just so they can get the FTF, against no competition, and clap themselves on the back for it. Then, of course, the bellyaching that arises when the caches actually get published. I don't understand the mindset of either side.

But, I have no stake in this part of the game, so I should probably just keep my opinions to myself and let those who go gaga over FTF's twist themselves in knots whenever something like this happens.

Bogus in my book is having an unfair edge to get a desired result. RULES are subjective with the FTF game.

You are making assumptions that the cache owner cares about the FTF game. Many couldn't care less, and will give coords to family and friends for beta testing. The thought of the FTF game may not even play in their head when the give coords out before listing on this site.

There are exactly zero rules in the FTF game. Most people could care less, including most cache owners.

There's a 7-stage multi near me that was published on May 7 and found March 27! Carbonated Colors, GC2V6WG. The first found it log was dated March 27, found by accident. They found the 6th stage and then went on to the last stage for the "FTF". [The post has been edited to omit that fact but I read it before it was edited.] Since all stages weren't found, should they still claim the FTF :sunsure: ? It's interesting that the "second" FTF cacher (who found all stages) said they signed the FTF spot on the log. There doesn't appear to be any issues here, I'm just curious as to what others think about it.

There's a 7-stage multi near me that was published on May 7 and found March 27! Carbonated Colors, GC2V6WG. The first found it log was dated March 27, found by accident. They found the 6th stage and then went on to the last stage for the "FTF". [The post has been edited to omit that fact but I read it before it was edited.] Since all stages weren't found, should they still claim the FTF :sunsure: ? It's interesting that the "second" FTF cacher (who found all stages) said they signed the FTF spot on the log. There doesn't appear to be any issues here, I'm just curious as to what others think about it.

If the FTFer from March didn't actually sign the log, I'd nullify that found log completely. How did they even know which cache they've found? Judging from the GC code, the listing was created April 28th. Usually you don't get COs placing all the stages of a longer multi a month ahead of time and then only create the listing so late. Unless there's something we don't know (which is quite possible of course), I'd say it's bogus.

What to do? This morning there was a new listing about 15 minutes from me, actually two listings. I hopped up and went to the cache site. When I quickly grabbed the first cache and opened the log book, it already had a FTF on it. I thought "crap, I was too late". It happens. But as I read the log book front page, it had this. The cache owners name and date placed 3-13-11. Immediately I thought it had been placed a while back and probably errors had occurred to delay publication. Then the FTF log. It was dated 4-10-11. Today is 4-30-11. 20 days later. The owner has only 5 caches found and these two hidden. The FTF has only 12 finds. They joined the site 6 days apart and have finds at the local campground park. I immediately thought they knew each other and talked about the cache to get the FTF. That happens and is dishonest in my book. Now, here's the kicker. The person that logged the FTF was my ex-wife!!!!!!! The cache was in a cemetery and I screamed once I realized this and possibly woke the dead. She started caching after I started taking our teenage daughters and competes with me in every thing I do. I do go after FTFs and is part of the fun. So, how would you handle this?

I'm sure that the cacher who signed the log probably was there when it was placed. Those type should have signed the log further down the log so as not to confuse the FTFer. Did that cacher log a FTF on the cache? Either way I would say you officially found and signed it after it was published and claim it.