Other geocaching sites

So is it safe to assume that some would want this thread about other geocaching sites locked so the stay off topic after being moderated? :unsure:

Well I'll say one thing, you certainly nailed the use of the correct emoticon there. :D

So what about users posting links to GC.com in their listings on one the other sites. I bet it would never happen on this site, a listing published with a link to a competive geocache listing service. :D

Yes, I'm quite certain it would never happen here, and a request to remove the link, or even a forced removal from a Groundspeak Lackey would result. Going the other way, Opencaching.us actually prefers you say where it's cross-listed, and even provides an "enter waypoint name" box so it makes the link for you.

Never used it.

Direct competitor of Groundspeak- probably going to lock this thread.

Not very common.

6 caches within 50 miles of home vs +1,000 caches within 50 mils of home.

They don't seem to be locking these threads anymore unless they are trying to get people to use the other sites. I applaud that. If memory serves me right, Groundspeak used to be too touchy about even mentioning any site that was even remotely competitive.

True story. The word "Navicache" used to be taboo in these forums, and was auto-edited out of posts. It was right around the time I joined though, and I think this was mainly due to the agravating antics of long-since banned Upinyachit. :D

I think it was insecurity. GC.com wasn't quite the 800lb. gorilla it is today then. Navicrap was auto correcting before Duane came on the scene. BTW- Duane goes by Bronkoholics now. Haven't seen him around in years though. :rolleyes:

It's funny to me how so many years have past and UPINYACHIT and DUANE are still mentioned. Geocaching.com is the only way to go.......

PEACE :)

Well, he used to live close to my area (but later moved across the Country), and I found a couple of his caches, which have been long since adopted out. Otherwise, he'd be long forgotten. By me at least. :lol: Then again, I still remember Jamaroc5 and Track in the box.

Well...........I can guarantee DUANE is still geocaching and is a changed man. Remarried with a 5 year old son and living in Pueblo West Colorado. PEACE

Well...........I can guarantee DUANE is still geocaching and is a changed man. Remarried with a 5 year old son and living in Pueblo West Colorado. PEACE

I snipped a lot of quotes out, waaaay too many there. Nice to hear! Never met him, but at least 2 of his Rochester, NY caches live on through adoption. He and the other wife were quite the characters in these forums!!

Yes, I'm quite certain it would never happen here, and a request to remove the link, or even a forced removal from a Groundspeak Lackey would result. Going the other way, Opencaching.us actually prefers you say where it's cross-listed, and even provides an "enter waypoint name" box so it makes the link for you.

Same goes on OpenCaching.com and some users are OK with posting links to the cross-listed caches and the Groundspeak site. There is nothing in the guidelines that say they can't. But being used to this site I would think it be taboo? I know what posting a link to a competive site here would get you.

Same goes on OpenCaching.com and some users are OK with posting links to the cross-listed caches and the Groundspeak site. There is nothing in the guidelines that say they can't. But being used to this site I would think it be taboo? I know what posting a link to a competive site here would get you.

Is it taboo? Not quite sure, and I'll bet it didn't happen enough in the past that there's an official policy on the matter. Of course another Geocaching website which offered .GPX uploads of cache hides only happened 6 months ago.