Placxing a Travel Bug

acachebox

When you post your Found it on the cache before you hit submit, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will see the bugs in your inventory - select action Dropped to place the bug.

If you have already posted your Found it you can post a Note on the cache to do the Drop.

58405b31-0562-4da0-b781-d458436ecdeb.jpg

Edited by BlueDeuce

When you post your Found it on the cache before you hit submit, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will see the bugs in your inventory - select action Dropped to place the bug.

If you have already posted your Found it you can post a Note on the cache to do the Drop.

58405b31-0562-4da0-b781-d458436ecdeb.jpg

To the best of my knowledge I did just that but the travel bug still shows in my inventory and not at the cache. In fact i have done it twice

If you are trying to do it with a cache found it log edit, you can't. You have to now write a note, and scroll down and highlight it and submit. Let us know!

Could you expand on your comments as to what page this note has to be written on and what has to be highlighted?

Also, please edit both the log where you picked up the TB and the cache log where you said you placed it so that you do not show the tracking number. Use only the TB# as you did in your OP in this thread. For more information on why--please read:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262591

I am sorry fokes I can't figure this out. I have written notes in several places but can not get this bug out of my inventory. If clear instructions can't be written would one of the Modes just take it out of my inventory.

I'll try to answer your questions and do a better job of walking you through the process.

It's not really all that complicated, but like many things for computers, it's written by programmers who don't have the mindset of a new user. After you've done it a few times, it will make more sense--at least in the HOW to do it, if not the WHY it's done like that.

It doesn't matter whether the TB belongs to you or someone else, or whether the cache belongs to you or someone else; the procedure is the same.

First of all, go to the web page for the TB :

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?tx=8b016561-275b-470d-ac0d-9e41cd1a17f7&uid=d98d47b1-5b88-480e-a9ae-ec10ae0aabaa

Look down a few lines from the TB name, where it says:

Recently Spotted: In the hands of acachebox

We want to get that to say in the cache, instead of in your hands.

Next scroll down the page to the Tracking History and notice that some of the logs say "CacherX" placed it in "CacheA". That's the kind of log we need to create.

The above is not part of the logging procedure, just for you to see what we're aiming at.

Now go to the web page for the cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5cff8188-408e-4af3-ae05-3d0f7b172440

On the right hand side of the page are the boxes for "Navigation " "Map," "Attributes," "Inventory, etc. We want to get this TB to show up in the "Inventory" box.

Go up to the "Navigation" box and click "Log your visit."

Under "Type of Log" select "Write Note." (When you are placing a TB in a cache you found, you can use the "Found It", but for now, we're doing "Write Note.")

For "Date Logged" usually you will want to use the actual date you placed the TB.

In the "Comments" section, write whatever you want.

Then scroll down to: Dropped off any Trackables?

Under that you should see the Tracking Number and Name of the TB.

Over to the right, under "Action" select "Dropped Off," then scroll down and click "Submit Log Entry.

Refresh the page and look again at the Inventory box and the TB should show up there.

If not, wait a little while and try again--sometimes the servers are slow.

Go back to the TB page and the Recently Spotted should say "In Do you have a pencil??" and you should have a "Placed It" log.

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

If you are trying to do it with a cache found it log edit, you can't. You have to now write a note, and scroll down and highlight it and submit. Let us know!

Could you expand on your comments as to what page this note has to be written on and what has to be highlighted?

Sure!

Go back to the cache page, you'll need to write a note. Say "TB Drop". Before you submit the note, scroll down to see your inventory. Highlight only the one you dropped, by clicking on its name in the list. Then submit your note.

In the future, you can do this when you write your log for your find on the cache page. That way, it's just one log. But if you forget to drop it, use another note to the cache page, because you can't go back and edit your find to drop it off. The system won't allow it at that time. It's a good thing to keep the tracking number written down and saved, at least until you are finished logging the Travel Bug. Some people keep notes.

At the top of the Travel Bug forums are some pinned threads that have tons of information. Also, using the link in my signature here, you'll find the Groundspeak Knowledge Books. Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions, but some of those pinned threads carry a wealth of information on Travel Bugs, logging, etiquette, how to upload a photo, how to back log a TB drop, you name it! :D

Nice walk through. One thing to watch for, sometimes when you select dropped off and then scroll back up using the roller knobby thing on your mouse it might un-select it.

Or select more than one?

Not sure, but rolling to the top is no action. It doesn't happen for me, but you never know if the browser or mouse might do it for the OP.

Nice walk through. One thing to watch for, sometimes when you select dropped off and then scroll back up using the roller knobby thing on your mouse it might un-select it.

Yeah, it's tricky that way. It sometimes works better if you just highlight it and then hit "d" for dropped off or "v" for visited.

BD-thanks. I wrote that up for a new guy a couple hours away from here who had put a TB in his new cache which I plan to look for next week. I made the changes fairly quickly and hoped I didn't forget to change something. Strangely, when I did the first one, the links to the TB page and cache page didn't work.

Sure!

Go back to the cache page, you'll need to write a note. Say "TB Drop". Before you submit the note, scroll down to see your inventory. Highlight only the one you dropped, by clicking on its name in the list. Then submit your note.

In the future, you can do this when you write your log for your find on the cache page. That way, it's just one log. But if you forget to drop it, use another note to the cache page, because you can't go back and edit your find to drop it off. The system won't allow it at that time. It's a good thing to keep the tracking number written down and saved, at least until you are finished logging the Travel Bug. Some people keep notes.

At the top of the Travel Bug forums are some pinned threads that have tons of information. Also, using the link in my signature here, you'll find the Groundspeak Knowledge Books. Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions, but some of those pinned threads carry a wealth of information on Travel Bugs, logging, etiquette, how to upload a photo, how to back log a TB drop, you name it! :D

Your first instruction says go to the cache page and then you mention scrolling down to see my inventory. My inventory doe not appear on the cache page if by that you mean the page relating to the place I dropped off the TB. As near as I can figure there are 3 pages involved in the process, the page relating to where the TB was dropped, my home page that does have my inventory listed at the bottom, and the TB page itself for the source of the TB number.

If these pages can be identified more clearly it would help.

Your first instruction says go to the cache page and then you mention scrolling down to see my inventory. My inventory doe not appear on the cache page

You don't see your inventory because you are skipping a step. From the cache page, you have to use the Navigation pane to go to Log your visit--then Write Note. Then you will be able to scroll down and see your inventory.