Need an email to join - What about young children?

walkingmax

I just started out geocaching and like to take my grandson with me.

I'd like to let him sign his finds and log them but he is too young for an email address.

I know I could just make a fake email and check the emails for him but there has to be a better way for kids to join geocaching.com.

How do you get around this limitation and get kids involved?

I'd like to let him sign his finds and log them but he is too young for an email address.

I know I could just make a fake email and check the emails for him but there has to be a better way for kids to join geocaching.com.

I did not realize that there is an age limit for getting an email address. You should be able to establish an email address and you should be able to read the email if you have the user name and password. As far as gc.com goes, there is no age limit for accounts, in fact there is not even a requirement to be a human. Plenty of dogs have accounts. Once you establish the gc.com account there is little need to read the email account unless your grandson decides to also hide a geocache.

I did not realize that there is an age limit for getting an email address. You should be able to establish an email address and you should be able to read the email if you have the user name and password. As far as gc.com goes, there is no age limit for accounts, in fact there is not even a requirement to be a human. Plenty of dogs have accounts. Once you establish the gc.com account there is little need to read the email account unless your grandson decides to also hide a geocache.

Email providers and most social networking sites do not allow children under the age of 13 to create accounts, A few will allow it with express written permission from a parent or legal guardian. This is to insure they are complying with COPPA. I was fairly surprised that Groundspeak allows children under 13 to have accounts.