Garmin Pre-Loaded SD Cards

I would disagree with that. I have a CN card in my Oregon and was able to write to the Garmin/GPX folder when I had the Oregon hooked up to my computer. Strangely enough it didn't read the gpx file. I haven't gotten around to testing it again and I don't speak for all cards but mine is writeable.

Also remember that these cards can be updated (for a fee of course) so if they are not writable then how does that occur.

I would suggest the next time you hook up use the explorer to look at it and try writing a gpx file to /garmin/gpx and see what happens.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I would disagree with that. I have a CN card in my Oregon and was able to write to the Garmin/GPX folder when I had the Oregon hooked up to my computer. Strangely enough it didn't read the gpx file. I haven't gotten around to testing it again and I don't speak for all cards but mine is writeable.

Also remember that these cards can be updated (for a fee of course) so if they are not writable then how does that occur.

I would suggest the next time you hook up use the explorer to look at it and try writing a gpx file to /garmin/gpx and see what happens.

You were able to write to the Garmin/GPX folder on the CN microSD card? (the same folder is also on the unit itself)

Interesting. Were you able to see the GPX files on the card? (Trying to figure out why it could be written to but not read)

From the Garmin site: Reduced price map updates are not available for these cards. If you want to update the maps, you must purchase a new card that includes the latest map data.

Edited by Triple Crown

You were able to write to the Garmin/GPX folder on the CN microSD card? (the same folder is also on the unit itself)

Interesting. Were you able to see the GPX files on the card? (Trying to figure out why it could be written to but not read)

From the Garmin site: Reduced price map updates are not available for these cards. If you want to update the maps, you must purchase a new card that includes the latest map data.

I have a CN North America NT 2009.11 card in my Oregon. I haven't tried it with .gpx files, but I wrote a text file to it, read it and deleted it.

The two map files in the Garmin folder are read only.

OP, FWIW, I have about 800 Megs free on the card.