Geocache Awareness

pldiguanaman

After a few bouts of people staring at me while searching for Geocaches and reading about other people experiencing police harassment I was wondering if there was some sort of plastic banner or such (cheap plastic ultra small poncho like thing) that could be worn over whatever clothing you have and would display "GEOCACHER" front and back. It might clue "muggles" in that you aren't some terrorist and the police might learn what that display meant and wouldn't be as prone to be too aggressive. (not really aggressive but you know what I mean.) It might also spur "muggles" to ask what you are doing (rather than be scared) and you could explain Geocaching and maybe make a new convert/friend.

Just an idea.

Anybody try something like that and what were the results?

I think it's getting too well-known already.

I'd rather keep it quiet.

We've really got enough geocachers out there right now. The game needs more quality, not quantity.

If the local police are not aware of it, they need to have someone come and talk to them about it.

I called the local police and offered this. You can do the same.

If someone is looking at you weird, it's your chance to get over that. Don't let what people think about you bother you.

You can also practice stealth.

Also, you'd be surprised how little attention people actually pay to others.

I looked for a cache yesterday that was at the entrance to a busy restaurant at lunch hour.

Many people walked by as I stood there with my GPS. I tried to look for it between people. Everyone ignored me as I stood there with my bright yellow GPS.

I finally gave up on it, because I didn't like searching around the entrance of a restaurant. It is not my idea of fun. I will most likely not go back.

So that's the other option. If there is a cache that is placed in a busy area, you don't have to find it. Go look for them out in the woods. A lot more fun if you ask me, anyway.

I think that kind of "awareness" would probably backfire and result in more caches being stolen and vandalized. I'd rather have bystanders either ignore me or not really care what I'm up to than to advertise it and arouse more curiosity. Just my opinion. It seems like if they're just watching some random guy doing something over there by the bushes, unless they see you grab the cache they'll never know there's something hidden over there to go mess with.

Geocaching is one of those pastimes that would be better if more people knew about it, but might be ruined if EVERYBODY knew about it, if that makes any sense...

I've heard a few people suggest wearing an orange/green vest, like construction workers wear, when in urban or semi-urban settings... to "blend in."

Not sure that would work well. Thoughts?

Personally I'm of the belief that people will either look and get over it or look and come talk to me... or look and do something stupid. No matter what they do, I'm doing my own thing.

Yes, I try to be very discreet and keep caches hidden from muggles, but ultimately, this is my hobby and none of their business.

One of my best 'disguises' for urban caching is my safety vest and hardhat. I work for a sign company - put on that gear and suddenly you become 'background' to most folks (except property owners where you might be strolling - they usually don't like unannounced 'construction worker' visits). I'm helped by my 'mature' looks (read: gray hair and smile-lined face...), as folks who know construction take one look at my age, clean vest & white hardhat & immediately make the next assumption - "engineer" - and pointedly ignore me as well. Great stuff. Add a magnetic yellow blinky light and it's good camouflage. However - don't think it makes you any safer alongside the road at all - any construction worker will tell you it only makes you a more visible target.

Special note - do not think this disguise will get you out of trouble with police if you're stopped where you shouldn't be - play by the rules!

One of the challenges to this game is to hide behind trees and bushes, look under rocks and logs, act in a suspiciuos manner, loitering and lurking in parking lots and city parks without attracting attention to yourself.

Some people are uncomfortable with looking like a car thief, it helps when you get a little experience behind you.

Or, as others have suggested, you could just blend in and become invisible.

Take along your lawnmower and look like a gardener.

Edited by student camper

The more caches I find that I -have- to use stealth, the less I like finding them. If I am hunting one that needs it, I try to look like I am there for a rightful purpose, and answer any questions that come up. We were stopped by the police on our very first find, matter of fact. We told the truth, and he let us continue on our night. I read a while back, I think it was Starbrand, that they carry a clipboard and a safety vest. That way, they look like someone inspecting the lamp post (guard rail, whatever...) instead of someone trying to blow it up. The wife has recently come in to a hiding spree, where she has hidden several in guard rails, etc. that didn't have one nearby. I'm working on a regular, building careful camo and such, and I'm going to find somewhere to put it that you can't see a road or a house in any direction. As gets said every day on the forums, the game is what you make it. Me, I'm in it more for the adventure than I am for the numbers. (And, to me, a very large majority of the urban caches we've found were good for little else. But, that's just my opinion.) We have some cachers in our group that have many many hides, and every one I can think of is a micro that is at most 20 yards from a parking spot. We get theirs if we happen to be nearby, and need a caching fix. We plan weekends around ones you need to hike to. But, again, it's your game, play how you want to.

I read a while back, I think it was Starbrand, that they carry a clipboard and a safety vest. That way, they look like someone inspecting the lamp post (guard rail, whatever...) instead of someone trying to blow it up.

I do the vest and clipboard with urban caches if I am by myself. I carry geocaching pamphlets on the clipboard in case anyone approaches me. I was recently on a college campus with friends when we were approached by campus security. We explained we were geocaching and he just said "Sounds like fun." and then drove off.

I think wearing a vest with "I'm a Geocacher" on it will just invite more caches being muggled.

I love stealth!

I don't want to draw attention to myself or point out the hobby, so I'm not sure anything announcing that you're a cacher would be a good idea. You really just need to blend into the surroundings. Jeans, polo, work boots, hard hat w/ clipboard and voila! you're a surveyor... My real life line of works takes me around mines and quarries, so I keep a hard hat and vest around if I'm in an area where it will blend well. Don't think I've had to use it yet.

I do recommend keeping a bright (orange) vest for the woods during hunting season, though. In that instance, you DO want to stick out!

If you are frequently having problems with police while geocaching, it might well be time to consider your appearance, your activities, and your location. There is little reason that any geocacher should appear 'suspicious' enough to involve the police at all, and almost no reason for any police involvement that would go beyong asking what you are doing.

Unless you look or act very strangely, the most likely problem is location -- some people like to hide their caches in inappropriate locations. Just as nearly everyone has learned not to joke about hijackings and bombs when in an airport, it is time for the geocaching community to be more thoughtful about where and how caches are hidden.

I know some will scream that they have a "right" to look and act strangely and others will scream that they have a "right" to hide a cache anywhere -- in most cases they are technically correct, but life is not always about being technically correct. If you choose to hide a cache in the grass at the bottom of the fence around a nuclear power plant, you should expect that people looking for that cache are going to spend time answering questions from people with badges and guns.