PROPOSAL: Icon for locationless cache

Captain Morgan

How about a picture of a vehicle for the icon for locationless caches...

maybe a Yellow Jeep or something

The camera would apply to other (permanent) virtuals, and might be better for that, but I think maybe a picture of a monument would be more descriptive for virtuals.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I have really been enjoying locationless caches lately, and have been wondering if there were ever going to be new ones.

It seems that there are two problems with them: Too Specific (stuff only in Finland), OR Too broad (yellow jeeps). And there are too many OKed.

Here is my suggestion: allow only 2 new locationless caches a month (one US, one international) to be selected by a group of approvers.

Haicoole

quote:
Originally posted by haicoole:

I have really been enjoying locationless caches lately, and have been wondering if there were ever going to be new ones.

It seems that there are two problems with them: Too Specific (stuff only in Finland), OR Too broad (yellow jeeps). And there are too many OKed.

Here is my suggestion: allow only 2 new locationless caches a month (one US, one international) to be selected by a group of approvers.

Haicoole

So there are area specific locationless caches? Pass those over. So there are some kind of funny locationless caches (like the yellow jeep)? If you don't like them, don't do them. There are others of us who have a lot of fun with these caches and are anxiously awaiting more new ones to be approved. Setting a quota on the number of new locationless caches per month is a mistake and could only serve to stifle a lot of fun for others.

Ken

Have you looked at the number of log entries on the Yellow Jeep? It seems there are more than a few who enjoyed it.

I do think that some "Locationless" ones aren't really locationless. If it can only be done in a certain geographical boundary, then maybe it should be semi-locationless, and have a country or state/province given in the title.

The one requiring a picture of a U.S. flag could just as easily have been for a picture of the flag of a nation you either are a citizen of, native of, or live in.

A lot of the improvements just involve the originators being creative, and considering how they may be excluding some people.

On the other hand, you can find a U.S. flag almost anywhere in the world, if you keep your eyes open. But it can come across as being a bit "geo-centric" to people from other countries, so maybe a bit less specific would be better?

That's just one example of considering how the locationless affects those outside your target audience, and seeing if you can include them as well with a minor change.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"