regular compass

nam69

Just in case I have a failure out in the field is there any certain brand of a compass I should buy. Something thats decent. I have a engineer directional compass that refuses to point North on all occasions and we cant have that. I do like the lensactic type compass as thats what I used in the Army. Just looking to buy one that is not junk, Thanks guys, Pete p.s. still didnot get out yet. My legs and feet are not up to it yet but I am willing as soon as I have a good day I will be out there, easy caches first.

Cammenga makes the compasses for the U.S. Army. Mil-spec is the tritium one. The civilian version is phosphorescent. Either of these is readily available. I picked up a tritium one from eBay a couple of years ago at about half the MSRP. One word of warning, if you go with tritium be sure to check the expiration date before buying it. Now I just need to find the time/resources to learn to properly use the thing! ;)

Ok good sugestions on the compass, I have an offer `on one, Now How about a good book on compass map reading and how to use. I had all this under my belt but that was 40 years ago and I would like to study about it again. So any suggestions would be appreciated on a good book