Gps help

mzzelaineous

Most GPS units have the capability to download coordinates. One at a time if you are not a premium member, or up to 1,000 at a time if you are a premium member.

No, you don't just buy any unit. You buy the unit that that has the features you want at a price you can afford. Furthermore, automotive units are generally not good choices for geocaching.

Some features you might (or might not) want are color display, USB connectivity, expandable memory, mapping capability, automotive turn by turn directions, "paperless" (meaning it holds all cache info on the unit), magnetic compass, barometric altimeter, high waypoint capacity, capability to beam waypoint data to other units, touch screen. Generally speaking, the more of these features that a unit has, the more expensive it is.

Research is the name of the game. Quite a few don't, then are disappointed at the first -- sometimes last because of it -- geocaching attempt.

Not all GPSr units are equal. Technological advances over a short span of time have greatly improved newer units, leaving the older ones behind in the dust, or best used as boat anchors. Some are made for geocaching, some are made for driving, some are made to do it all.

For starters, try this link for GPS Devices and Reviews.

Most of the happier users are sticking with Garmin, Delorme, Lowrance, Magellan. There are some to STAY AWAY from too, but being a public forum, I won't address it in the open.

Don't get overwhelmed by it -- there are a lot of good units, just within those brands mentioned.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Things to consider when buying a GPS for Geocaching include (but are not limited to :) ):

• What else might I use a GPS for?
  • Do I want street Navigation?
  • Will I cache in rural areas that require TOPO maps?
  • What batteries are required - how long do they last?
  • How rugged of a unit do I need?
  • What is my budget?
  • How often will I cache?
  • Do I want full paperless Geocaching?
  • etc?

I'd stick to Either a Garmin or a Delorme unit these days - always shop within your budget. Go to a store that sells them - sometimes the look and feel of a unit is very important. Then search online for the best pricing.

For what it's worth I've been very happy with my Garmin Colorado 300. When I bought it I'd never owned a GPS receiver before so it was a little bit of a steep (frustrating) learning curve but once we got the hang of it we never looked back.

Also, I can't say enough good things about GPS receivers that allow you to download the information directly to the receiver and cache paperlessly. If you can afford it they are totally the way to go. I'm pretty sure that over the past 2 years my GPSr has paid for itself by eliminating paper and ink costs.

for starting out, I am inclinded to recommend a GPS that you have to learn how to put in the coordinates and everything else. If you are only going to geocache, not a big deal, but if you want to learn to transpose from a map, or use it to project a course, you need to know how to use the GPS to it's potential. I like the Etrex H, basic yellow one. If you start with it, get the basics down, then read about the other units available, you will have a better idea of what will want when, not if, you upgrade. Then, you can use the Etrex H as a back up or to use if a friend comes along. I have left home alone, and ended up teaching others while out caching with my back up GPSr, more fun if everyone has a unit to mess with of their own. color displays, auto downloads, maps with turn by turn, altimiters, ele compasses and all of the other features can be decided upon after the basics are learned.