Cache Freshness

exConn

I just wanted to bring the "Cache Freshness" idea into this forum which was originally brought up by Ranz in the middle of this thread over in the General Forum and an idea I really like.

The idea of Cache Freshness is to have a date on each cache page indicating when the owner last visited it (or check the end of the thread mentioned above for Jeremy's creative wilting flower idea icon_smile.gif)...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

Can someone make a series of wilting flower icons for me? I unfortunately design by necessity, not by any personal talent. icon_razz.gif

The least difficult implementation should be a date when the owner last visited it. Of course, obviously if you're not logged in I don't know if you visited at all. So it would be imperfect.

Jeremy

I would think it's just a matter of advising cache owners that they should be logged in while checking their caches. Most owners will want to notify seekers that the cache is active.

While still imperfect. I am sure it will do the job in most cases.

I will put some flower icons together and email Jeremy. Please don't let that stop ANYONE else from doing the same thing. My artistic ability is right up there with my understanding of women.

geosign.gif

Are you guys talking about visiting the physical cache or viewing the cache page? OK, it looks like you're talking about the web page. Since I get the log text in the email, I rarely check my cache pages. I can get the last find dates from "My Cache Page." Unless there is a problem, they can go a LONG time without being looked at. How long a timescale are you thinking about?

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

Unless there is a problem, they can go a LONG time without being looked at. How long a timescale are you thinking about?

rdw

I guess that is yet to be determined, but the idea is to have some idecation of a caches that fall in the neglected category. You stated that unless there is a problem you don't usually visit the page. If there was a problem you probably would.

If the postings indecate a problem with the cache. If it is suspected MIA or that it is in poor condition, the monitor date will be a useful tool showing whether the owner aware and initiating corrective action.

geosign.gif

Well the only way to *REALLY* know if a cache is in decent condition is to visit yourself. If another cacher visits whose opinion you trust claims it's in good shape than you should also feel free to refresh the flower.

Of course plundering can happen within minutes of a legitimate find so this is only an aid rather than a guarantee.