Looking to start collecting

ALAUNOS

I have recently decided to start a coin collection as it seems quite interesting. I have no idea how to go about doing this and would appreciate and advice or help. I will also take any donations (if that's even possible) to get me going. Ever since I started caching it seems I get drawn into the culture of it more and more and I can't get enough. So I figure why not start collecting and trading. Look forward to hearing from everyone and a big THANKS in advance.

The first thing to do is promise yourself to watch your budget. This has been called an "addiction" by some.

You can keep geocoins if:

You bought it.

You traded for it with another cacher.

Someone left it in a cache, unactivated, as swag. For this you should trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all when you are exchanging swag with the cache.

You won it at an event.

You won it in a geocoin forum cointest.

Someone gave it to you as a gift.

Please see this recent thread on the same subject, for more information, as others have made good points about this too.

Hi Hillbilly,

welcome to the geocoin forum and conratulation for your decision. As long as you follow the advise of Eartha this is an awesome way to spend your time (and money). You will get to know some of the greatest people that are there in the world! Please send me your address and I will try to find a nice coin for your start :D as long as you promise to be helpful when you are an insider and newbies ask questions :P

Another good thing to start off with is join in on some missions and get involved in the discussions, or just lurk around a bit to get to know the ropes :). Ask questions too, that's the only way to know anything for sure!

I jumped in headlong into 3 missions within 2 weeks of getting into the Geocoin Forums. Just be sure though, that you are ready and willing to commit to what is required of the mission before doing it!!

In starting a collection, just make sure you know your boundaries and stick within them. As with any collection it is very dangerous!! Addicting too!

MoonCat brought up the missions. Their avatar is as blue as mine, I guess. ;)

Missions are started here in the forums. You sign up for them in their individual threads. When you sign up, you are committing yourself, and promising to send out a package to another cacher. Each one has a theme. You will in turn receive a package in the mail from another cacher/collector. Use the search box at the top of the forum page, and search MISSION, or scroll down through the threads. All missions and cointests must have "mission" or "Cointest" in the title, and we try to make them all in CAPS so they are easier to find, or skip over, if that's not your thing.

Edited by Eartha

Ok I would like to say thanks to all that helped me out. I have made my first trade and I'm super excited..so excited that I purchased 2 more coins from the one I traded with. A big thanks to Yanagi for donating a coin in my direction to help get me started. Can't wait to see it. So to sum it all up THANKS!!!! :) :) :)

I really don't have a certain theme as of yet but I have seen some really nice coins that I have moved from one cache to another to help them along. I guess any coin that catches my eye or just kind of calls out to me so to speak. But so far the ones I've seen I pretty much like em all too :D