What to do with an Unpublished Cache

iamgeek

A while back I placed a geocache without realizing it was near an unpublished geocache. A couple years back when the church the geocache is located at was built a few eagle scouts built a bridge across a creek. About 6 months backs I placed a geocache near the bridge but, while a people was finding it I was notified of a small white container with coords in it. I followed the coords and found that there was a larger geocache nearby. I placed the white container inside of the larger and left it for the owner to come and get it. The think that the owner is one of the eagle scouts that built the bridge. The cache is still there and it seems like a perfectly good container to place another cache in. My question is: Should I take the cache container and create a new cache with it or should I leave it with the risk of others finding it and mistaking it for mine?

A while back I placed a geocache without realizing it was near an unpublished geocache. A couple years back when the church the geocache is located at was built a few eagle scouts built a bridge across a creek. About 6 months backs I placed a geocache near the bridge but, while a people was finding it I was notified of a small white container with coords in it. I followed the coords and found that there was a larger geocache nearby. I placed the white container inside of the larger and left it for the owner to come and get it. The think that the owner is one of the eagle scouts that built the bridge. The cache is still there and it seems like a perfectly good container to place another cache in. My question is: Should I take the cache container and create a new cache with it or should I leave it with the risk of others finding it and mistaking it for mine?

This may be a cache that isnt listed in Geocaching.com, but active in another site like opencaching ect.. is there a log in it ?

According to your description, I understand that you stumbled upon a multicache. The first (actually second to last) stage was at the bridge where you placed your traditional, and the final was further away. By moving the stage into the final the chain in the multicache was broken.

Difficult to say what is the best way to deal with a situation like this. I would try to contact the owner (if I can find him) and negociate an agreement. If contacting the owner is not possible, I would move my cache, leaving his stage where he placed it. Another option would be to merge my cache with his stage (so geocachers won't find his stage by mistake and miss my cache), but this would confuse the geocachers ("why is there another container with coordinates in this cache?").

This may be a cache that isnt listed in Geocaching.com, but active in another site like opencaching ect.. is there a log in it ?

WOW you mentioned opencaching and your comment is still here. I had one of mine deleted by a moderator (brad_w) for even mentioning it. You must have friends in high places. I wonder if he will get to mine this time.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Scouts often have their own unpublished caches, so they can geocache for fun, and learn to use a compass or GPSr without having to go online. I would either contact the Scouts and see if they are still using the cache, or just leave it alone. I suppose you could also say something about it on your cache page, discribing it and saying it's not yours. I have come across a cache page once that states there is also a letterbox cache nearby, so cachers won't be confused.

WOW you mentioned opencaching and your comment is still here. I had one of mine deleted by a moderator (brad_w) for even mentioning it. You must have friends in high places. I wonder if he will get to mine this time.

Opps - ya I see what your saying, was more of trying to relay that this container shouldnt be removed, as it may be active in some form or other

Edited by EvilTree

I have checked the cache and it does have a log but, no one has signed it. I know that it is a multicache but, it is must be the last cache in the series because it is the one with the log. I think it was a two stage multicache with the little white bottle being the first stage. I have checked the coords with all other geocaching websites I can find and nothing comes up. If this cache were active in anyway why would their be not signatures on the log? Sadly I have no way of contacting the scouts. I was not able to find any markings that allowed me to know which troop they were from. Any other ideas.

I have checked the cache and it does have a log but, no one has signed it. I know that it is a multicache but, it is must be the last cache in the series because it is the one with the log. I think it was a two stage multicache with the little white bottle being the first stage. I have checked the coords with all other geocaching websites I can find and nothing comes up. If this cache were active in anyway why would their be not signatures on the log? Sadly I have no way of contacting the scouts. I was not able to find any markings that allowed me to know which troop they were from. Any other ideas.

I think you are doing a good job so far. Have you tried contacting the GC reviewer to see if there were any caches that had not passed the review?

I think you are doing a good job so far. Have you tried contacting the GC reviewer to see if there were any caches that had not passed the review?

I have not tried that. I know that the bridge was built several years back, is there any way he will be able to look it up?

Sadly I have no way of contacting the scouts. I was not able to find any markings that allowed me to know which troop they were from. Any other ideas.

"[Your local scout troop] is sponsored by Saint Simon and Saint Jude (SSSJ) Episcopal Church, located at 1110 Kinley Road in Irmo, South Carolina. Our Scoutmaster is Mr. Greg Lee. We meet at SSSJ every Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m., "

I copied this from their web page. I would check with the gentleman mentioned above. This sounds like it may be an Eagle cache, placed for the other scouts to get their geocaching merit badge. Good Luck with sorting this out.

I have not tried that. I know that the bridge was built several years back, is there any way he will be able to look it up?

It is quite possible. The reviewers have tools that are not available to us mortals.

Sadly I have no way of contacting the scouts. I was not able to find any markings that allowed me to know which troop they were from. Any other ideas.

"[Your local scout troop] is sponsored by Saint Simon and Saint Jude (SSSJ) Episcopal Church, located at 1110 Kinley Road in Irmo, South Carolina. Our Scoutmaster is Mr. Greg Lee. We meet at SSSJ every Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m., "

I copied this from their web page. I would check with the gentleman mentioned above. This sounds like it may be an Eagle cache, placed for the other scouts to get their geocaching merit badge. Good Luck with sorting this out.

There are alot of scout troops in this area that could have built the bridge. I can name at least 10 right now. How did you get my location to look this up?