Still reading!

nam69

Question on the compass when finding a cache. There are 2,3,4, data fields, How many of them should I have open or is this a personal choice. As I am still just able to read the book. We may get 5 ins. of snow tomorrow into Wednesday so that's going to put things off. I was told on here that its best to use your Compass when looking for a cache so that's why I am reading about that. I already calibrated. I am reading the book many times, it can't hurt anything I guess. I will be out of the program for awhile yet as my flare up is still going on. I think its time to go on my predisone. Also getting some implants at the Dentist on Wednesday and I don't know what to expect there. Any ways I will continue asking questions and I appreciate all the help, Pete

Add as much data as you think is necessary for locating the cache. Distance and direction are usually enough for me.

Just as a side note - don't stare at the compass screen while out hunting for a cache - As the satellites shift and you get closer and closer to the cache, things tend to shift just a bit in readings and an outside observer will note that you are moving like a "drunken bee". At least that is what we call it around here!!

The general accuracy of that unit is around 15 to 25 feet under most conditions. The hider had a similar error as well. When you get inside that distance - put the GPS in your pocket and start your search for likely hiding spots. Don't expect the unit to lead you right on top of it. Just for fun you can test the varability yourself. Go mark a spot in your yard on the GPS and with a flag. Come back later to where your unit says ground zero is at and mark it with a flag. Repeat for a few days and you will see the scatter of little flags!

Add as much data as you think is necessary for locating the cache. Distance and direction are usually enough for me.

Just as a side note - don't stare at the compass screen while out hunting for a cache - As the satellites shift and you get closer and closer to the cache, things tend to shift just a bit in readings and an outside observer will note that you are moving like a "drunken bee". At least that is what we call it around here!!

The general accuracy of that unit is around 15 to 25 feet under most conditions. The hider had a similar error as well. When you get inside that distance - put the GPS in your pocket and start your search for likely hiding spots. Don't expect the unit to lead you right on top of it. Just for fun you can test the varability yourself. Go mark a spot in your yard on the GPS and with a flag. Come back later to where your unit says ground zero is at and mark it with a flag. Repeat for a few days and you will see the scatter of little flags!

Thanks for the tip on Dont stare at your compass while moving which I have been doing in the yard, Thanks, Pete

I don't use the compass.

Well...on this new unit, Garmin 62S, it remains on...and it confuses me.

I'm spinning around, and it is spinning around....I'm not sure who is chasing who ! :blink::lol:

I keep 4 data fields on the compass page.

Accuracy

Distance to go

Battery

Name of cache

I like seeing the accuracy. It helps me understand how well the gps is doing.

If the accuracy is 75 feet, then the ZERO on the distance to go doesn't mean much. However, if the accuracy is 8 feet, then I can look right near zero. I use the accuracy as a radius for my search circle.

Pete,

Do not feel lie the Lone Ranger, sir. Many, many of us have had to learn that the hard way. In fact, there's even a t shirt you can buy that references this:

Focus_brown_500.jpg

My wife swears that is her on the t shirt. She hasn't run off a cliff, but tree collisions are quite common.

LOL

Later!