Magellan VantagePoint buggy!

I swear, this Magellan VantagePoint software never behaves the same way twice. Currently, it simply will NOT let me publish anything to Geocaching.com. The link to do so stays grayed out, no matter if my eXplorist GC is connected, disconnected, whatever. I've rebooted, unplugged/replugged, all that jazz, and it won't take. The GPS is being recognized by the PC, but VantagePoint is no longer popping up the "new logs" message (despite seeing the GPS plugged in), and I can't figure out how to force-check. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

~TSB

When did you last update the software? I just did an update today and have had pretty good luck once I figured a few nuances. Also are you using the "lite" version? I originally found this to be more frustrating than its worth, and found I had a license for the full app with my GPS unit. All I can say is keep trying.

I figured it out. Unless I add a field note in the GPS, VantagePoint will not go through the "publish" process. I find this a very backwards way to do checks. Seems to me it would look for the "have not attempted" marker in the eXplorist to be changed. As it functions now, you can complete several hunts, but unless you log a field note for each, the VantagPoint software doesn't care, and you'll have to dig up each cache by name on the geocaching site to add a log.

I figured it out. Unless I add a field note in the GPS, VantagePoint will not go through the "publish" process. I find this a very backwards way to do checks. Seems to me it would look for the "have not attempted" marker in the eXplorist to be changed. As it functions now, you can complete several hunts, but unless you log a field note for each, the VantagPoint software doesn't care, and you'll have to dig up each cache by name on the geocaching site to add a log.

Ok I have to say I'm confused here, the only way to publish from any GPSr to GC.com is through the field note feature, that is a GC.com limitation not any manufactures. So your saying you want to publish a field note without making a field note?

Making a field note (atleast on an x10 series) is automatic, when you are looking for a cache and find it open the Menu and choose FOUND IT. If you choose not to edit the field note it will put one there for you that has the "TIme to find" and says Found, you can edit it after you upload it to GC.com before you post it. Maybe your canceling the navigation, reopening the caches page and then manually changing the status to found, this is the long way to do it and would skip the auto note creation.

Edited by KI4HLW

Ok I have to say I'm confused here, the only way to publish from any GPSr to GC.com is through the field note feature, that is a GC.com limitation not any manufactures. So your saying you want to publish a field note without making a field note?

Making a field note (atleast on an x10 series) is automatic, when you are looking for a cache and find it open the Menu and choose FOUND IT. If you choose not to edit the field note it will put one there for you that has the "TIme to find" and says Found, you can edit it after you upload it to GC.com before you post it. Maybe your canceling the navigation, reopening the caches page and then manually changing the status to found, this is the long way to do it and would skip the auto note creation.

Create field notes on the explorist GC when you find the caches, then connect to GC.com when you get home to download your field notes straight to GC.com.

You can not create a field note on Vantage Point, you have to make a field note in the field on your GPSr, then download them to VP or GC.com!

Don't bother with Vantage Point at all.