'Paperless' geocaching and the Nuvi 1490LMT

LazerFlash

We own a Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT, which Garmin says is "perfect" for geocaching. One problem I have with it is that I can't seem to get the 'paperless' thing to work for me. As a Premium member, I *should* be able to get paperless cache information transferred to my unit, but all that seems to make its way to the Nuvi is the GPX file containing the basics - nothing beyond the location. I've poked around a bit and I'm convinced that I must be either (1) doing it wrong or (2) missing something. So, here's a few questions for the gurus here:

2. Does the Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT support paperless geocaching?
  3. When I use the "Send to GPS" option from the online list of local caches, does that include the 'paperless' data, too?
  4. If the answer to #2 is "no", what else do I need to do to get the extra information transferred into the GPS?

Thanks for any and all help passed our way!

Automotive units are not perfect for geocaching. In fact they are generally poor choices for the sport. They can be used, but its kind of like trying to play tennis with a baseball bat. Google paperless geocaching with a Nuvi and there is some stuff out there that will give you instructions. But it invloves loading the caches as a POI.

Edited by briansnat

Garmin's website under features for that unit says that unit is NOT Geocaching friendly.

Sorry...

While it is possile to use it for Geocaching, it just isn't as easy and friendly as many of the handheld units. At the same time the handheld units don't have the 'easy' friendly features for road navingation either.

Garmin's website under features for that unit says that unit is NOT Geocaching friendly.

Hmph... you are, in fact, correct! My wife actually researched and purchased the unit; I'll have to find out just where she got that little tidbit of information.

One thing that we've already found is that it really doesn't give much in the way of directional information once the unit pronounces "arrived at destination". We were sort of using the "Where Am I?" display to get to exact coordinates. This was easy for the two caches we've already found (they were roadside historical markers). We've yet to actually find a hidden cache. This might explain why. :(

Google paperless geocaching with a Nuvi and there is some stuff out there that will give you instructions. But it invloves loading the caches as a POI.

Thanks... I'll give that a shot. If our grands decide they really want to do this, we may end up with two GPS units in the house; one for the car and one for caching.

Thanks... I'll give that a shot. If our grands decide they really want to do this, we may end up with two GPS units in the house; one for the car and one for caching.

Actually a very good solution if funds will stretch to it. Follow the instructions for putting the caches onto the car unit as POIs. This will give you driving directions to recommended parking places or the nearest road access to the cache where you can then find a place to put the car.

Then hop out of the car and switch to your handheld unit which will have better battery life, be more rugged and easier to hold as well as giving you the arrow to follow all the way to ground zero.

We use a tomtom in the car which, via GSAK, has every cache within a 100 mile radius of home (updated weekly) stored as POIs.

Then for finding the cache we use an ETrex Legend with the same caches loaded as Garmin POIs (using the Garmin POI loader) and this gives us the cache title, number and hint.

That's pretty much all we need most of the time, but I do have a smartphone too for the full paperless function as and when required.

Google paperless geocaching with a Nuvi and there is some stuff out there that will give you instructions. But it invloves loading the caches as a POI.

This turned out to be very good advice. I found several really good links from Brian's recommended Google search. I'd like to share two with anyone who ends up in this thread down the line.

First off, many people over the past few years seem to be recommending the following link pretty exclusively: Garmin gps - True Paperless Geocaching

While this is a good link, if you own a Garmin Nuvi above the 8xx series, the resulting GPX file will be not terribly useful. This is pretty much expected, as the author of the macro used on the website admits fully that he stopped updating it in 2008. I was never able to massage the resulting list of custom POIs to include any of the paperless data. Ultimately, I gave up and looked elsewhere (like the FAQ for that macro).

The following link is MUCH better: Advanced Garmin GPX macro While not terribly newbie-friendly, the resulting GPX file loaded perfectly into my Nuvi 1490 and had a wealth of paperless data. If like us, you end up having a hard time going from the GPX file transfer to finding a cache in the field, you can always go back to first fellow's website, starting with the page entitled Taking your Garmin for a spin. Although dated, there is some useful information on how to juggle back and forth between the various modes on the Nuvi to make the hunt a little easier.

As others have pointed out, contrary to what my wife was told, the Nuvi 1490 isn't the "perfect" for paperless geocaching. However, using the GPX file generated using the Advanced Garmin GPX macro , we've been able to find our first real cache, (albeit a diff of 1.5), and we'll probably stick this out at least until we can determine if it's something our grands might be serious about. I did find that having a good compass was helpful to keep myself properly oriented, since the Nuvi seemed a bit sluggish doing that in the field.

Edited by LazerFLash

I have the Garmin Nuvi 1450. Is the unit able to go Paperless?.

YES! ABSOLUTELY!

I have cached with a NUVI 200 for years. You need to follow the instructions HERE: http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html

to get it going, but they are easy to follow and work great.

The only "gotcha" with the instructions is they do not list "new" nuvis. I just got a new 1490LMT for father's day. I chose 2xxW as my GPS type in the GSAK macro. They pop up on my new 1490LMT fine in the POIs.

Works great! Remember to change your mode to "OFFROAD" so the GPSr does not "snap" you to the closest road.

The naysayers will say that car GPSrs don't work well for caching, but to be honest, I think my years old NUVI 200 does a better job of getting to GZ than my "real GPSr", a Garmin GPS60, which seems to bounce around and lose signal way too much.

Edited by rvstauff

I have the Garmin Nuvi 1450. Is the unit able to go Paperless?.

Yep, that's the model I'm using, and I'm a naysayer. I use the Nuvi to get me down the road and to hold the page info. I use a Vista HCx to get me down the trail.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm running the nuvi 1490t

on Mac PPC, OS 10.5.8,

with Garmin POI Loader 2.1.0 (the newest version that runs with a non-intel version of the Mac)

Premium membership at GeoCaching.com

My software and maps are up to date

When I download the .gpx files, they do show up in my POIs in list form, and are selectable. When I click on them, it shows me its location on a map, with a balloon. When I click on the balloon, it opens a window that says:

CG10RJO

Alert information:

Distance 0.2 mi

Speed: 10.0 mph

Mode: (car logo) Distance: 7.4 mi

Time: 10 min Fuel: $1.09

Baby Race Track by FawverFamily,

Traditional Cache (1.5/1)

Under this information there is a down arrow on the right-bottom of the screen. If this is clicked, the screen slides up slightly with no additional information. There is also the back arrow on the bottom-left, that brings you back to the map screen. On this same page, there is also a light gray box on the left side of the screen that runs from the top-left to the bottom-left side of the screen. This gray box is about an inch wide, and seems to be a space would be a great spot to put additional buttons like "go!," "save," "more," or "favorite," in my opinion, but there are none. There is also no other information about the site that would normally be provided by whoever placed the cache. If I go back to the previous map page there is also no "go!," "save," or additional information, I can only go back to the list of POIs. There is, it seems, no navigation tools available.

Quite a newbie with the 1490. I've been using the 60CSX so far, but would love to have paperless ability. Wondering if the problem is that I'm running the older Garmin POI Loader 2.1.0 (again, because it's the only one that works with my old G5 PPC) Any Ideas?

The naysayers will say that car GPSrs don't work well for caching, but to be honest, I think my years old NUVI 200 does a better job of getting to GZ than my "real GPSr", a Garmin GPS60, which seems to bounce around and lose signal way too much.

Makes sense because the GPS60 is old technology and doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver found in newer units, including the Nuvi.

I use a Garmin 350 all the time for geocaching. It's a car unit, and it works great. I did not see anyone commenting about changing the settings. Once your on the trail, going OFF ROAD is very important I discovered. Then, you watch the odometer page, it counts down in feet as you approach Ground Zero. If you dont go to OFF ROAD under Navigation, it won't work very well at all. You can use the CURRANT POSITION (actual position) to match coords to the target coords. I have found the unit is dead on, and far more accurate then when in FASTEST ROUTE OR SHORTEST ROUTE. Granted, it isn't as rugged as a hand held, battery life is about a hour, yes you have to do some switching back and forth on screens, but if a person wants an economical way to go, works fine.

PS. Originally I was entering COORDS manually, once I learned about GSAK and paperless caching, and how to upload to the Garmin 350 a pocket query, oh man, life was good!! Geocaches show up as Points of Interest.

Edited by Conductor5531

I need help too, please. I purchaed the eTrex Venture HC, specifically to avoid "paper." I still must print out the "directions" to the site as well as the "clues, etc." Is that because I purchased a lower end unit? Once I get to the site, it works like a charm. Thanks for any thoughts.

Sorry, the the Venture HC is not true "paperless". I understand that more info can be loaded into via GSAK, but I am unfamiliar with the process.

It still will not equate to a paperless unit, as it will not upload fieldnotes.

They work fine for geocaching, a nice, small unit, but just not paperless. Don't fret however because you did save some money, and as usual, you will upgrade after a while anyway -- it doesn't matter if you have the current "best", you will upgrade sometime.

Becoming familiar with geocaching and GPSr use, you will then research to find a unit that fills your "needs".

It most always happens this way.

:rolleyes::):huh:

I'm running the nuvi 1490t

on Mac PPC, OS 10.5.8,

with Garmin POI Loader 2.1.0 (the newest version that runs with a non-intel version of the Mac)

Premium membership at GeoCaching.com

My software and maps are up to date

When I download the .gpx files, they do show up in my POIs in list form, and are selectable. When I click on them, it shows me its location on a map, with a balloon. When I click on the balloon, it opens a window that says:

CG10RJO

Alert information:

Distance 0.2 mi

Speed: 10.0 mph

Mode: (car logo) Distance: 7.4 mi

Time: 10 min Fuel: $1.09

Baby Race Track by FawverFamily,

Traditional Cache (1.5/1)

Under this information there is a down arrow on the right-bottom of the screen. If this is clicked, the screen slides up slightly with no additional information. There is also the back arrow on the bottom-left, that brings you back to the map screen. On this same page, there is also a light gray box on the left side of the screen that runs from the top-left to the bottom-left side of the screen. This gray box is about an inch wide, and seems to be a space would be a great spot to put additional buttons like "go!," "save," "more," or "favorite," in my opinion, but there are none. There is also no other information about the site that would normally be provided by whoever placed the cache. If I go back to the previous map page there is also no "go!," "save," or additional information, I can only go back to the list of POIs. There is, it seems, no navigation tools available.

Quite a newbie with the 1490. I've been using the 60CSX so far, but would love to have paperless ability. Wondering if the problem is that I'm running the older Garmin POI Loader 2.1.0 (again, because it's the only one that works with my old G5 PPC) Any Ideas?

The methods normally used for paperless Geocaching on a Nuvi use a macro in GSAK, and GSAK is a Windows program. In theory you could try installing and running Windows XP in a full blown emulator, however I'm not really sure what PC emulators are available for a PPC Mac and it may be pretty slow. Pocket queries, and other .gpx files saved from the Geocaching.com site, will not be in the proper format for POI Loader to convert to Paperless style POIs. The macro takes Geocache data (imported into GSAK via .gpx files) and converts it into .gpx files designed with POI Loader in mind.

If you get access to a Windows PC the version of the macro I recommend is this one:

http://sites.google.com/site/jjreds012/download

Of course, that is meant to be used after this program is installed:

http://www.gsak.net/

FYI, there is a similar GSAK macro for the 60csx to do somewhat paperless Geocaching:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8932