Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYPaddleCacher

Discovering souvenirs using mobile app

A week or so ago I was flying to Costa Rica for a business/vacation trip and had a brief layover at Dallas-Fort Worth airport. Since I had never found a cache in Texas previously I though, just out of curiosity, I'd see if I could obtain a Texas souvenir while still in the plane as we taxied to the gate. I fired up the Geocaching app on my iPhone as soon as the flight attendant announced that we could use our phones. I did a search and got a listing of nearby caches, then visited a couple of the cache pages. The souvenirs page still indicates that "The second [way] is to search for a geocache using the Geocaching Application for iPhone or Android when you are within the souvenir zone." However, I did not receive a souvenir when I did just that. Frankly, I'm glad that my little experiment did not produce a souvenir (and in fact, started a issue in the feedback system suggesting that Groundspeak should not allow souvenirs to be obtained merely by searching with the mobile app) but I don't recall ever seeing anything from GS indicating that this functionality would be turned off.

A week or so ago I was flying to Costa Rica for a business/vacation trip and had a brief layover at Dallas-Fort Worth airport. Since I had never found a cache in Texas previously I though, just out of curiosity, I'd see if I could obtain a Texas souvenir while still in the plane as we taxied to the gate. I fired up the Geocaching app on my iPhone as soon as the flight attendant announced that we could use our phones. I did a search and got a listing of nearby caches, then visited a couple of the cache pages. The souvenirs page still indicates that "The second [way] is to search for a geocache using the Geocaching Application for iPhone or Android when you are within the souvenir zone." However, I did not receive a souvenir when I did just that. Frankly, I'm glad that my little experiment did not produce a souvenir (and in fact, started a issue in the feedback system suggesting that Groundspeak should not allow souvenirs to be obtained merely by searching with the mobile app) but I don't recall ever seeing anything from GS indicating that this functionality would be turned off.

It never worked for me. I went on a 15 state road trip around the time they had just started "back logging" everybody. I didn't get any souvenirs, not even for the caches i did find. (I did get them all later, I had found caches in all of the states years ago.)