Geocaching in the snow

geekwalrus

So I am a newcomer to geocaching and I have a question. I live in Massachusetts and we are still very snow covered, especially trails, parks, and such. Even parking lots with all the snowbanks make light posts somewhat inaccessible at times.

Any advice on caches to look for with feet of snow on the ground? And also if you can't even get near GZ due to the snow would it be considered a DNF?

Thanks

So I am a newcomer to geocaching and I have a question. I live in Massachusetts and we are still very snow covered, especially trails, parks, and such. Even parking lots with all the snowbanks make light posts somewhat inaccessible at times.

Any advice on caches to look for with feet of snow on the ground? And also if you can't even get near GZ due to the snow would it be considered a DNF?

Thanks

If I start the hunt and am using the GPS to navigate to a cache and the end result is that I Did Not Find (DNF) the cache for whatever reason - then I log it as such. Others differ.

Best advice is to look for caches that have been found since the last big snowfall - there is a good chance you can find those easy enough.

Thanks

I think you need to sign the log to record the cache as "found".

Or, perhaps if you can get photographic proof, that would count?

Look for caches with recent finds. You can follow the footprints. I was caching in the Adirondacks in a few feet of snow over the weekend and I didn't even need a GPS for several of my finds.

Look for caches with the winter accessible attribute (it's the snowflake attribute).

Look for caches that have a record of finds in previous winters.

If you get to the cache site and there are no footprints, it will take some luck and experience. I've found caches under as many as 3 feet of snow. Look for evidence under the snow of the usual hiding places, down trees, stumps, boulders, etc. and start digging. A small shovel is helpful - I sometimes carry a collapsible camping shovel. A ski pole to poke around is also beneficial.

If you don't find it because of the snow then of course it's a DNF. A DNF means you didn't find the cache, the reason is irrelevant. Now if you didn't even get out of the car because of the snow you might want to log a note rather than a DNF.

Edited by briansnat

Good advice in earlier posts... Winter definitely provides an extra challenge. I, myself, researched Geo-Caching quite a bit and was very familiar with it for several years, but only recently got started. Got my first find in January, and nearly every other one in February. I am CERTAIN that some of my DNF's were solely due to the snow.

Log those DNF's though. They're important to the cache owner. I asked a question about just that not too long ago. Got lots of good advice. You can read up on that here, if you like: :)

We went caching in the snow a couple of years back. We found a few caches, some with the help of a cachers' trail, some with luck. Ones in an area we knew had a lot of fallen branches we passed on as we didn't want twisted ankles or worse.

Last Wednesday we woke up to (for us) a big dump of snow. We had 12" in the yard, my boss called to cancel his appointments, and I had to dig out. It is just starting to melt now and the rain is helping. We have a wind warning for tomorrow - 100 kmh - so I guess caching is out..............

Winter is a beautiful time of year for both hiking and geocaching. Some other things are reading the cache page and logs over carefully. I've found many that are not listed as winter friendly (but at the same time not listed as NOT Winter friendly) that have been up in trees etc. Not every cache owner sets all the attributes.

If you read the logs and, if you want the hint, you can get a sense of if it's feesable under the snow. If you know the area, anything is possible. If not, you may not know where there is a stump or a fallen tree that could hide a cache.

Also, be careful with the winter friendly attribute. I've came across a good amount that list it as winter friendly because it's sheltered (in a dead tree under 3 feet of snow, and frozen in place!). Remember to expect anything while caching.

What part of Massachusetts are you in ? I'm in Central Mass and the snow definitely make things tough.

If there is a cache that I am unable to find in the nicer weather, I'll put it on my watchlist to find out if someone finds it in the snow. Then I'll go back and take some clue from their footprints.

Thanks

If you searched and did not find, it's a DNF. Posting a DNF is not a mark of shame, it's a valuable communication to the CO and others interested in finding that cache that it may not be accessible (or may not be there). Never hesitate to post a DNF, if nothing else it shows the CO someone was interested in the cache (very, very handy if the cache is a low traffic one)

Bring a foldable shovel to make your winter search easier, nothing like soaking wet gloves from too much digging in the snow to ruin an outing. If the cache is frozen in place (tends to happen a lot this time of year in North America with spring thaw/freeze cycles), take a photo instead of trying to chip the container out of the ice - particularly if the cache is not an ammo can. Most COs will appreciate that you did not damage their cache to get at the log book. Do not post the photo in your log, instead, offer to email it directly to the CO as proof of find. There are some COs who will insist on a signature in the log book, you'll have to go back in warmer weather to claim that find.

If you're hiking trails, invest in a pair of Yak-Trax. Again, this time of year the trails are packed down to ice, which is the last thing to melt. Seriously I've just about killed myself hiking on trails where the only snow/ice is on the trail while the rest of the snowpack melted away weeks ago.