Archived Caches

jeb and co

Having just spent over an hour in the freezing cold looking for a cache , when I went to log it as a Not Found it came up as an archived cache.

I had the cache details downloaded as a mobipocket search and had loaded the cache location into my GPS from a loc file. When I looked at a later mobipocket search the cache wasn't there, as it had been archived between the two searches. Looking at the page for setting up searches I see that there is no way of selecting for caches that have been archived, so the only way to discover which ones they are is by looking for missing caches in later downloads, however the missing cacheswill still be on my GPS.

Would it be poosible to have an archived cache option on the search set up page or has any one any ideas how to overcome this problem?

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Just out of curiosity, if you upgrade your Mobireader prior to going out, why not upgrade the caches in your GPS the same way? If the cache is archived, then it won't be in your GPS.

On my Garmin V, once a waypoint is entered it stays there until I manually remove it. If a cache is there today and I download waypoints from a pocket query, it is in my GPSr. If the cache is archived tomorrow and I download another pocket query, the cache is not on the mobibook, but it is still in the GPSr.

Something I try to do every couple of weeks is delete all of my GC waypoints then reload waypoints from fresh pocket querys. That way I purge the GPSr of any archived caches. This sounds like alot of trouble, but I use ExpertGPS to help with this procedure and it only takes a few minutes. Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left

Every now and then you need to delete all the waypoints in your GPS and start over.

Plus if you update Mobi prior to leaving and then verify each waypoint in your GPS with the cache page in Mobi you can avoid this.

In other words I got busted once the same way. But the waypoint was only in the GPS, not in Mobi. Had I looked up the cache page (and not found it) in Mobi I'd of known to avoid the cache until I checked it out online.

Wherever you go there you are.

Renegade Knight has it right.

My process once a week is to save all the waypoints in my GPS into a loc file, then in THAT file, delete all the caches and dashpoints. I then save the file with the remaining waypoints on my system (I call it non-cache). It contains things like my office, my house, etc.

Next step - delete all waypoints from the GPS.

Then I take the freshly received loc file (or GPX file) of all of the active unfound caches within 100 miles and upload that. Upload the non-cache file, and the current dashpoints.

Final result: non-archived caches in my GPS.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Thanks for all your comments and I realize that ideally I should update my mobipocket files and gps by deleting and reloading the latest set of waypoints before setting out on a hunt but I still think it would be useful to be able to download a list of archived caches for say the previous week for a particular location if only to be able to look at the cache pages to see the reasons for archiving and to keep tracks of what's going on in the locality.

IIRC, the reason archiving was implemented on the cache database originally was because occasionally, people place caches where they shouldn't. So the archival removed any references to them in searches, etc.

Think of it like this:

Let's say someone placed a virtual cache in say, a petroglyph location, and the people that maintained the area thought it was insensitive to place a virtual cache there. They want the information removed, immediately. They don't want people wandering in up to a week later because they were looking at old data.

Best practice - refresh the GPS prior to going out. No hurt feelings or problems that way. If you then see that a cache is now missing when you're in the field, you won't be going after it. Then go back to last week's prc file and look up the cache ID, and go online and check as to why it's archived from the cache page itself.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Any ideas for those of us who are getting our info one cache at a time from the list, rather than downloading information en masse to a GPSr?

I'd like to propose that the weekly update that we are emailled list the archived caches as well as the new caches. Getting one last look to know why a cache was archived in our area has some value. Unless the cache is on our watch list (or recorded in your GPSr memory as some of you have described, but not everyone in this hobby owns a GPSr), we'll not even be able to find the cache listing again to know what happened.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Essentially, you CAN get just that - as a premium member using Pocket Queries. Why would Geocaching.com give something away for free that they are already selling? icon_wink.gif

Do I have to pay extra to be able to download ARCHIVED caches? That option doesn't appear on my pocket query generator page.

Jeremy keeps a "naughty" list and a "nice" list, and the amount of data you receive in your pocket queries depends on which list you're on.

Markwell and Mrs. Nazz are not members of the same list. icon_biggrin.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

I must be on the 'naughty' list as well, as my pocket query page doesn't seem to give access to archived caches which is what I was asking for in the first place. However if you can find the page for an archived cache it is still possible to post a 'not found' as I did for the one I obviously didn't find. I wonder if it is possible to post a find for an archived cache?