Found my first cache today

LDB415

So today I was out with my iPhone and the Groundspeak free intro app. I found my first cache which was pretty cool and looked for another but didn't find it. The iPhone app is easy to use and I like the screens but it would say something like 41 feet in one direction and after moving several feet in the direction of the arrow it would say something like 63 feet in the opposite direction so it wasn't very accurate.

I liked the detailed information and hints given about the cache. I liked the various screen shots. I just didn't like the lack of accuracy. Is there an option that gives all the details and hints but better accuracy? Is having all that info what is meant by paperless caching? Thanks for any and all input.

The free app isn't really the best for caching. Its there to get you to spend the $10 on the full app which is well worth the price. Also the iPhone isn't the best for caching but its workable. My understanding is the iPhone only uses 1 or 2 GPS satellites then it uses its 3G connection to triangulate your position between the sats and radio towers. I could be wrong. But once your within about 30 feet of GZ you can forget about the GPSr and start your search.

Yes all the information that the full version of the app will give allows you to go paperless. I use the full version of the app on my iTouch to allow me to go paperless. My GPSr is an eTrex Legend H ($109). If you can pull together a couple hundred dollars it would be a good idea to get a nice hand held unit. Mainly because they are more rugged then the iPhone and have longer battery life.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Buy the app.

I found it much more helpful than the demo. Plus, you'll save yourself a small fortune on printer ink and paper.

Also, you have access to a fast way to pull up maps on the spot your currently in. I find this invaluable, given my lack of ability to to take, know or follow directions.

No to mention its a fun thing to do!

You can upload pics and logs in real time.

Disclaimer : Buying the Geocaching app on Iphone may lead to you committing one, some, or all of the following : Buying the membership, supplies to make/give SWAG, team shirts, bulk orders of tiny pencils, outdoor survival items, a GPS unit (in case the phone battery dies, of course), batteries, and things you might not need BUT the packaging could make a great cache ;), rain boots, rubber gloves, "better" tweezers, first aid kits, kids meals at fast food joints, ziplock baggies, Indiana Jones hats and trash bags. Geocaching may cause you to lurk in public, look like your "up to something", and/or attract security. You may or may not surprise/bore or baffle a friend/family member/co worker/kids/ or significant other in the process.

Edited by TeamEdgar5

Congrats on the first find. I recently had my first find and although it wasn't the most exciting find it was my first and I'll always remember it.

I was unsure how I felt about the app at first. I was hesitant to download it after all the mixed reviews I read. Especially now that you only have 15mins to return sometiong on android market.

I imagine the Iphone app is similar to the Android one. I should mention that I do love the offical app. It was very well worth the $10 payment. So I am glad i decided to buy the app. It's nice for many reasons, the nearby caches, the uploading logs right from ur phone.

Maybe it's my imagination but I find it easier to change the settings from miles/feet to Kilometeres/Meters. It seems like people say within 30 feet start searching. I just find it easier using the meters for some reason. Even though I've never used the Metric system for anything. I figured caching would be a good way to learn lol.

Edited by shawnshamrock

Another vote for the full app. We started geocaching a whole 2 and a half weeks ago and are now 45 caches to the good :D

We use the iPhone app and a Garmin eTrex. The iPhone app has the advantage of being able to see caches in your surrounding area whilst the etrex (bought mine 2nd hand for not a lot) is more accurate imho and has the advantage of having a much longer battery life which you can also carry spares with, whereas the iPhone app demolishes the battery and a couple of hours is tops. Also (and if anyone can prove me wrong on this, I'd be truly delighted), there doesn't seem to be a way to enter co-ords on the iPhone app which proved slightly irritating at the business end of a puzzle cache and multicache.

So what I'm saying is the iPhone app is well worth it, and I think accuracy wise the iPhone can get you to the general place, but the biggest drawback as far as I'm concerned is the limited battery life.

Even though I've never used the Metric system for anything. I figured caching would be a good way to learn lol.

You know... I think that is an excellent suggestion. I might just try it!

Of course, I'm also the guy that recently changed the language on my Nuvi to Spanish, thinking that would be a quick way to learn another language. After finally admitting that I was lost, I couldn't read the screen selections to set it back to English. :lol:

there doesn't seem to be a way to enter co-ords on the iPhone app which proved slightly irritating at the business end of a puzzle cache and multicache.

I'm not sure about the iphone app but for the android one I think you can enter them in the SEARCH box. I don't know if it works the same way on the Iphone.

Even though I've never used the Metric system for anything. I figured caching would be a good way to learn lol.

You know... I think that is an excellent suggestion. I might just try it!

Of course, I'm also the guy that recently changed the language on my Nuvi to Spanish, thinking that would be a quick way to learn another language. After finally admitting that I was lost, I couldn't read the screen selections to set it back to English. :lol:

I would do something like that. I don't know though I really do think it is easier when its displayed in meters as compared to feet. Also seems to end up being more acurate in my opinion. I think I walk to fast for it to keep up with me foot by foot. So the meters keep up with my pace.

My understanding is the iPhone only uses 1 or 2 GPS satellites then it uses its 3G connection to triangulate your position between the sats and radio towers. I could be wrong.
No device can work with just 1 or 2 GPS satellites. The iPhone uses multiple satellites, the same as any other GPS device. However, it uses assisted GPS, which basically means that it doesn't do all the calculations on its own: it relies upon having a data connection so a server can do some of the necessary calculations for it. In contrast, a standalone handheld GPS receiver does all the necessary calculations on its own, and doesn't need a data connection, or a server to do some of the calculations on its behalf.

I've heard that the iPhone 4 is as accurate as a standalone device under good conditions, but that earlier models had poor accuracy. I've also heard that the iPhone 4 (like other GPS-enabled phones) has problems when satellite reception is poor. My experience with Android phones has been that they are as accurate as my old yellow eTrex. Modern standalone devices will have high-sensitivity receivers, which allow them to work in situations where satellite reception is poor (e.g., under heavy tree cover or in narrow canyons with a limited view of the sky).

I'm new too and using an iPhone. That lack of precision seems somewhat inherent and I understand every device will have some amount of "gray area", but we also found that letting the iPhone rest a few seconds to catch up is helpful. Everytime we've been able to say "its here" where here is about a spitting circle around us. It also seems to help to slowly approach from different angles and again, kind of take a best guess - then put it in your pocket and just look/feel around.

So I do trust the iPhone to get me pretty close, however, that doesn't mean we found every cache. So far, we've found 4 and missed 3. Maybe that last bit of inaccuracy helps the discovery aspect of this.

Also (and if anyone can prove me wrong on this, I'd be truly delighted), there doesn't seem to be a way to enter co-ords on the iPhone app which proved slightly irritating at the business end of a puzzle cache and multicache.

You can be truly delighted!

See my post here (and the previous post in that thread).

Basically you use the little 'flag' icon on the map screen to add a point (or points).

Storing the cache as a favourite will preserve these extra waypoints.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=267876&st=0&p=4601364&fromsearch=1entry4601364

Also (and if anyone can prove me wrong on this, I'd be truly delighted), there doesn't seem to be a way to enter co-ords on the iPhone app which proved slightly irritating at the business end of a puzzle cache and multicache.

Basically you use the little 'flag' icon on the map screen to add a point (or points).

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=267876&st=0&p=4601364&fromsearch=1entry4601364

I bow down and thank you :)

+1 on the iPhone paid Geocaching app...I used it exclusively for my first 80 or so finds and still use it paired with my new etrex Legend. Can't beat it for spur if the moment caching and the iPhone 4, at least, is plenty accurate.

You might also consider getting the Motion X GPS app...lite version is free and full version is only around $12, I think. Both work great as a general purpose GPS app.

Also, Geocaching Toolkit is another free app to help with puzzles and multis.