GPSMAP 62s

Mallah

Really enjoying this bit of kit - it works under trees :D

But: how long does it take to set up all the preferences? there are so many to choose from, can't decide what to have on the dashboard, or work out why there are two direction arrows on the geocaching compass? Have I set something wrong?

Really enjoying this bit of kit - it works under trees :D

But: how long does it take to set up all the preferences? there are so many to choose from, can't decide what to have on the dashboard, or work out why there are two direction arrows on the geocaching compass? Have I set something wrong?

Hi Mike

Here is my setup, which may help you, but this is just my preference and could be a starting point for you?

I have the full UK Garmin GB Discoverer maps loaded at 1:50K scale ( incl routable roads and POI data ) and the full uk coast with the uk bits from Bluechart Altantic ( incl tide data ).

Applicable to Geocaching I use 3 different profiles - Car / Geocaching / Recreational.

Recreational is a north-up facing map, so that I can see all cache locations easily without them spinning round all time like if I used track-up maps. This helps me plan if I am out - Basecamp and routes are the way to go for home planning.

Car is used with a 'recalculate on road' function, so the GPS gets me to the nearest road location for me to begin my search. This is only useable with routable maps like I mention above. I find this function useful and quicker than programming my car sat nav with coords - yes i could bring that in and load caches into that, but that just seems a waste when all are in the 62s unit.

Geocaching is the main profile used once at the starting point.

I flick between the 3 profiles as required, but please note my thread here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=263825&st=0&p=4532770&fromsearch=1entry4532770

There is a profile software issue that I notified Garmin about and they agreed it was an issue - still waiting for them to confirm when it will be incorporated into a future software release.

Within the geocaching profile I have the following page sequence setup....map/compass/trip computer/elevation plot

Map screen, showing OS map, with a geocaching dashboard. When not navigating, this shows me the nearest cache location with its small compass at the top. It also shows me the cache distance and how many caches I have found.

compass page - compass showing bearing large, with 4 data fields at the top - time to next, dist to next, off course, gps accuracy. I think this may be where you see 'two direction arrows on the geocaching compass' - you have the geocaching dashboard setup on your compass screen, where I have 4 small data fields. The choices are almost endless, so it is all down to what works for you.

trip computer - 10 small data fields setup here. speed, trip odometer, moving time, elevation, stopped time, time of day, moving avg, eta at dest, overall avg, sunset. The main use of this screen is to see if i will get back before sunset. Note that I use eta at dest and not eta at next as I make use of routes and want to note what time i will get back. ( I use the GPS for other purposes than geocaching )

elevation plot - I have current elevation on the trip computer page, so my main use of the elevation plot page is to 'monitor' weather. I have ranges of 0.5mb and 45min - that way I can see what the pressure is doing at short time scales therefore can decide if the weather will get worse etc. I also have 2 small datafields at the top - ambient pressure and barometer.

Thats about it on my setup. If you do decide to change to the latest version of software, dont forget to go back in and change to WAAS/EGNOS, as from my memory, it defaults back to normal after the update.

Its all about personal preference and the choices are almost endless. The above is what works for me, something else may work better for you, but I hope the above helps you get started. Remember to save your profiles on your PC in case of probs - they are located at F:garmin/profiles. Custom maps are also worth backing up from f:garmin/custommaps. Have a look at the free Garmin Basecamp software - thats excellent to manage waypoints routes tracks etc. Also have a search of the forums for some free topo map links, if you dont fancy splashing out on OS maps.

Congratulations if you are still reading this...... I do go on a little, but hopefully to someones benefit.

Regards for now.

Steve

Edited by janandsteve