GPX and -wpts.gpx

tldepot

When I download a Pocket Query and unzip it i have two files, one is the .gpx file and the other (much smaller) -wpts.gpx. What is the -wpts.gpx file and do I need to install it with the.gpx file?

Tom

The smaller file contains additional waypoints for those caches that have additional waypoints. These are usually suggested parking areas, or trailheads.

... My problem is that I load them, but often forget to look for them.

Me too.

The reason for that, as you know, but the OP probably doesn't, is that we are generally using our GPS in geocaching mode (using the Find Geocaches option) and so we are only seeing waypoints for true geocaches (the closed treasure box icon). Child waypoints only show up under Find Waypoints because they do not have the closed treasure box icon. I suspect that can be changed in GSAK, but I haven't tried yet. One of these days...

Me too.

The reason for that, as you know, but the OP probably doesn't, is that we are generally using our GPS in geocaching mode (using the Find Geocaches option) and so we are only seeing waypoints for true geocaches (the closed treasure box icon). Child waypoints only show up under Find Waypoints because they do not have the closed treasure box icon. I suspect that can be changed in GSAK, but I haven't tried yet. One of these days...

Frankly though, it has only affected my day of Geocaching 2 times that I can recall. So what if I didn't park at the CO's coordinates - I still had fun finding the caches!!

Me too.

Frankly though, it has only affected my day of Geocaching 2 times that I can recall. So what if I didn't park at the CO's coordinates - I still had fun finding the caches!!

Well, in my experience, it can often work in one of two ways.

• You have a great, long walk to a spot 100 feet from the parking coords.
  • You have a nice, short walk through a swamp or private property.

You know as well as I do - its 99.9% - the swamp. You can usually spot the private property or it is spelled out in the description. :rolleyes:

Edited by StarBrand

You know as well as I do - its 99.9% - the swamp. You can usually spot the private property or it is spelled out in the description. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention that the private property is a farm with a bull.

They are also very usefull for multi cache where the waypoints or QTA locations are already given upfront. You don't need to enter them manualy into the GPS.

I was waiting for someone to mention this. It is really great when the owners of multi's put the extra waypoints in so I don't have to manually enter each location. I have a 7 stop driving historical tour of my area and each stop is a child waypoint. Sure makes it easier for the finders.